Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 06:03 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benandrove View Post
Mr. Ryu my story smells like horse manure? Sorry my "story" doesn't fit your standards. My friend lives in a tiny studio, so no room for another person. I live in a two bedroom. I've had roommates in the past with no problem. This guy was supposed to be for a few months and then gone. Then he started acting strange a couple of weeks ago. My friend has known him for several years and is as appalled as I am by this whole thing.
Well then make your friend come to your apartment and handle the situation for you. Did you make this person sign a contract?

Why are you renting the second room? If you can't afford it then maybe you should downgrade to a 1 bedroom or studio.

Maybe only do Airbnb.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Opinion:

Previous owner of my home had a business.
Letters continue to come to my house for
the last 10 years.
Return to Sender.................

No problem.................

Old 03-06-2020, 06:17 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
The business isn't the problem. A house guest who refuses to leave and knows how to work the system is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Previous owner of my home had a business.
Letters continue to come to my house for
the last 10 years.
Return to Sender.................

No problem.................

Old 03-06-2020, 07:30 PM

107 posts, read 85,557 times
I probably know the answer, but is there any chance you wrote up a statement of the terms under which he was to stay with you and have him sign it? Unfortunately, given the housing crisis, cost of living, and desirability of the city (yes, many do find it desirable to live here) what you are experiencing is not an uncommon problem in NYC. I have heard of several incidents myself. I don't know how each one was resolved, but I know it took the assistance of a lawyer in at least one, if not two, cases. I have a friend who rents out a room, and I have no doubt that one of her roommates strategically planned to make her appear insane and even worse so that she could take over her apartment. We prayed that one out, and her wickedness backfired on her. Anyway, I hope you will soon be rid of him--that he will realize that it is not in his best interest to stay, because, as I understand it, the laws are no longer in your favor, and he likely knows it.

It is a kind thing you do in allowing people to stay with you during a transitional or difficult period in there lives. Sometimes one really cannot help being in a predicament where they need a temporary place to stay, and many of us do not have one bed room, never mind two. I have another friend who has two bed rooms, and she often does the same as you and sometimes doesn't even charge rent, or the amount which she charges is negligible. Just be sure to write a contractual agreement in the future, and have them sign it prior to moving in. Don't worry about offending anyone or seeming unreasonable or excessive. If they are honest or have any integrity about them, they will understand why you would need to protect yourself and will not take it personally. It doesn't have to be particularly technical, just clear and mutually agreed upon, and I think it will hold up in court, should it ever come to that.

So sorry you are going through this. You were trying to do a good thing, and if you could each benefit from the arrangement there was nothing wrong with that either, but people like him are the reason why so many are reluctant to help when someone is in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benandrove View Post
Mr. Ryu my story smells like horse manure? Sorry my "story" doesn't fit your standards. My friend lives in a tiny studio, so no room for another person. I live in a two bedroom. I've had roommates in the past with no problem. This guy was supposed to be for a few months and then gone. Then he started acting strange a couple of weeks ago. My friend has known him for several years and is as appalled as I am by this whole thing.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How is this exclusive to NYC?
Well, it's a NYC housing problem.

We all can relate.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:00 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, it's a NYC housing problem.

We all can relate.
I mean true, but this can happen any place else. It's not an exclusive to NYC problem. I'm letting it rock but I'm just telling the truth.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-06-2020, 09:45 PM

25 posts, read 13,968 times
Hello Adopted. I really appreciate your words of concern and consideration. Unfortunately, I did not write up an agreement. I figured since my friend had vouched for this person there would not be an issue and he would be here for a few months and then gone. I feel like a complete idiot now. The latest development - it's 11.30 pm - the creep came home half an hour ago, drunk, and started to cook. He has never done that before. He seems to feel he can do whatever he likes now that he told me he is not leaving. Unbeknownst to me, he has apparently been cooking using the oven while I am out at work and never cleaning. I never use the oven so did not realize it was filthy. Tonight, he came back from being out and tried to bake biscuits in a filthy oven and the fire alarm went off and the whole thing almost caught on fire. Several neighbors came buy saying wtf is going on? I was asleep but that certainly woke me up!!! I have texted those neighbors to explain and to be my witness to this insanity in what looks like will end up being a nasty court case. More importantly, I am concerned about my safety, and the safety of my neighbors.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:48 PM

Agree with you BBMW. Turns out houseguest that knows how to work the system is the issue. But my first indication that something might be up was a temporary visitor going to open up a bank account.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:04 PM

Seventh Floor...aka NYC Mod...how can you say that this could happen anywhere else? This is an NYC thing! Pretty much most other places you could tell the creep to get lost...in NYC I am faced with possibly months of legal problems for helping a friend out - oh, and also getting a little extra money myself, which some commenters seem to think was some sort of egregious sin! I have been quite frankly shocked by some of the comments on my post taking me to task for...how dare me!!...accepting money from a roommate! Howe evil of me! Accepting money for the inconvenience of another person in my place!

Old 03-06-2020, 11:07 PM

Who gave Seventh Floor their credentials as "moderator" of what goes on in NYC? What are the qualifications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: