Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 03:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
3.4 million travelers poured into US as coronavirus pandemic erupted

Travel data of passengers arriving in the United States from China during the critical period in December, January and February, when the disease took hold in that country, shows a stunning 759,493 people entered the U.S.

Those travelers from China included more than 228,000 Americans returning home and hundreds of thousands of Chinese nationals arriving for business, academics, tourism or to visit family.

Researchers from Johns Hopkins University said the outbreak could have started as far back as November, and that there may have been hundreds of cases in Wuhan by early December. On Jan. 14, a different team of researchers from the University of Toronto warned that the outbreak could quickly jump from Wuhan to other major cities because of international travel.

President Donald Trump restricted travel from China effective Feb. 2

__________________________________________________ _________

In New York being the most cosmopolitan international city in the world and with a China Town, the first case was actually woman who had recently been in Iran.
There were numerous people entering from multiple countries coming into New York and it is vastly impossible to backtrack and know who was infected when
I also believe there were cases before they were noted. I think we'll find out when people start testing for IgG antibodies. I know many people who were sick in January and February, myself included. It could have been ANY of the viruses that cause any of this garbage but we don't know for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am really lucky. My wife has been the ultimate companion for me this crisis. No one I would rather spend the end of the world with. If she was not 59 we would definitely had an other child In 9 months.
We are stuck in a tiny space and I am so thankful my husband and I rarely fight. It could get really ugly!

I know my dad was driving my mom crazy. Haha. At least they have a house and could go to separate floors or even the backyard.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:57 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,472,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Are you saying it's okay for prisoners to make our hand sanitizers? That's slavery.
Lol it's not slavery when you are paid to do it.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:00 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Hate to break it to you, but the scum we imprison (for far too short terms on average, I might add) have been working while incarcerated for generations. And they are paid for it.

It’s a real shame that the hand sanitizer Cuomo promised that they would be producing has not materialized as a buffer to the shortages we’re experiencing. Would’ve been a redeeming situation for them in my opinion.
They supposedly were passed out to various institutions rather than just out to the general public. If so, that’s still good since more hand sanitizer somewhere in New York means that the institutions who received such aren’t competing so much for the supply the general public.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
I hope you’re right. I commended him (and our state) for such an idea so early in the crisis.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-05-2020, 06:13 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Are you saying it's okay for prisoners to make our hand sanitizers? That's slavery.
All these electronic gadgets and other cheap stuff that Americans consume, many of them on credit, are produced by dirt cheap Chinese labor, almost slaves, who eat whatever animals they can find and spread disease.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:35 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
The point is if you are an asymptomatic carrier and you don't know are you could spread it to other people.
Some people may never develop symptoms , other can develop them later. You could get symptoms after 4 days but be contagious before then. So the mask prevents you from sneezing or coughing directly into the air. If you do some of those droplets go into the air and could linger as an aerosol for up to 3 hours according to the NIH.

Secondly if you have a good quality well fitted mask like the N95 or just a bandanna or scarf the mask can reduce the amount (as President Trump mentioned recently) slow down the amount of the coronvirus microbes you might inhale.
In you inhale a small amount it multiplies slowly and your body has longer time to fight it , resulting in milder symptoms. If you are exposed to a lot at once it develops faster in the lungs and could put you in the ICU.

Passing a credit card is a separate issue. You can't get an infection through the skin unless you have a cut.
If somebody passes you back a credit card and the card comes back virus particles on it you might get infected only if you wipe your nose, mouth or eye.

So if someone passes you a credit card back you can wipe all cards being passed back to you or do it when you return home, routinely.

Or you could carry the credit cards in a plastic bag in your pocket and use them for a little while and assume they might be contaminated. You return home, wash your hands, leave you shoes and coat by the door, wash your glasses and when you return home again this is after you handle those cards.
At some point you throw that credit card baggie away clean the cards with a wipe.

All of this is matter of degree as to how much risk you want to reduce. Don't fall into "all or nothing" thinking because the whole thing is such a pain in the ass.
You bring back home a bag of carrots. Somebody might have wiped their nose and touched it.
So you could wash the bag off, or wipe it, or replace the bag. Many fruits and vegetables are washable with soap and water. Or not do it and allow for a certain amount of risk.
You could come home and not even wash your hands, it's up to you if you want to roll the dice.

Welcome to the new normal. New York is the hotspot of the world you need a mask anytime you are in public. It doesn't guarantee anything but does reduce risk. If you have the virus on your hands it is only a problem if you wipe your nose, mouth or eyes.
What a great post. The baggie is a great idea! I have been leaving my wallet home, just beinging my DL and some cash old school in a rubber band. Was weary on putting it in my pocket.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:51 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I just looked. The bike ride would be about two hours each way. Roll through the ghetto. Go through I don't know how many zig-zags and pathways that are not practical. Walking would be 5 hours and 21 minutes one way. I am a very big walker but I am not spending 11 hours walking when my shift is 12 hours. Let's be real.

I wish they would issue temporary parking passes and allow people to park in areas that are generally restricted for nonsensical reasons. Or something.

I don't touch anything on the train with my hands. I have gloves. I have a face mask. More than half of people on the trains are doing the same. People are trying to stay away from people, though I've seen it lead to a few confrontations. The trains are still too packed due to the reduced service. But I would say 99% of people are TRYING on the trains.

Unfortunately the homeless are still there on the trains and platforms.
Good luck finding parking out there. No one in my neighborhood have moved their cars since ASP was suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldCareLess View Post
Why aren't dating apps like tinder not shutdown for the time being ?
They aren't shutting down because they are getting massive profits. Strippers are out of money now that their usual customer "married guy" is stuck at home with the wife. So they are using the dating apps to get new customers. I frequent many of the sites and a week after the lockdown i stopped going to them.

The convo always leads to them send you you to a website where they are selling nudes, or videos of them playing with themselves.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:51 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but the scum we imprison (for far too short terms on average, I might add) have been working while incarcerated for generations. And they are paid for it.

It’s a real shame that the hand sanitizer Cuomo promised that they would be producing has not materialized as a buffer to the shortages we’re experiencing. Would’ve been a redeeming situation for them in my opinion.
You're not teaching me anything new. I'm well aware of the many ways the US has implemented slavery after slavery was officially abolished. Paid? They are paid pennies on the dollar. This amounts to slavery. When they leave prison, it's nothing they can live off of. They are paying prisoners five dollars a day in California to do firefighting. This is suppose to be the land of the free. I don't care if it's hand sanitizer...paying anyone pennies on the dollar is wrong.

Do you have the ability to empathize? Some people can change. And let's be real because it's a lot of people getting involved with the c.j.s. over possession of drugs, which more humane countries treat as a public health concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Lol it's not slavery when you are paid to do it.
See my above quote. The fact that you're calling pennies on the dollar payment is sad. Don't think for a second that the same can't happen to you one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
All these electronic gadgets and other cheap stuff that Americans consume, many of them on credit, are produced by dirt cheap Chinese labor, almost slaves, who eat whatever animals they can find and spread disease.

This was well before my time. It's pretty sad how politicians allowed these industries (also gave them tax breaks) to move overseas to do the same they are doing to US prisoners.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:

Isn't there a concern that they would drink the sanitizer... you know what it contains, right?

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM

450 posts, read 475,013 times
Room, board, utilities, clothes, entertainment, drugs, cigarettes. There's a price tag to all of those things. Not to mention the cost of the crime they committed which landed them in prison in the first place. Boys are getting paid alright except me and you are doing the paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City