Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 01:07 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

Be careful.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...navirus-latest

Four patients in New York are under observation, amid concerns they may have the coronavirus.

Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city is working with state officials, although there were no further details on where in New York these individuals are.

The city has one of the largest Chinese populations in the country.

And there have been concerns and warnings for individuals traveling to and from the country.

There have been more than two dozen deaths in China associated with the virus.

Symptoms include fever and coughing, as well as pneumonia.

Overall, close to 600 people have been infected, mostly in the city of Wuhan.

The Great Wall of China and Shanghai Disney are among locations that are shutdown amid the outbreak. Meanwhile, the capital of Beijing has canceled major events indefinitely.

Here in the U.S. there are two confirmed cases. One in Chicago, the other in Seattle.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Want a seat on the subway? Start coughing.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:36 PM

55 posts, read 41,689 times
Appreciate the notification. Another reason I'm glad I'm privileged enough to never need to take the subways. Wash your hands, take your Zicam, cover your face...it's not really gonna help, but it'll make you feel better for having done so, anyway. Right now the thing is deadly mostly only to the already very sick and infirm and/or aged.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhraiden View Post
Appreciate the notification. Another reason I'm glad I'm privileged enough to never need to take the subways. Wash your hands, take your Zicam, cover your face...it's not really gonna help, but it'll make you feel better for having done so, anyway. Right now the thing is deadly mostly only to the already very sick and infirm and/or aged.
Yeah. Today's the first time I've seen so many people walking around with their masks on. Before, it was usually just the old but first time I've seen so many young people walking around wearing them. And with the parade tomorrow...with the wind and the rain forecast, think I'll skip it this year.

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/24/cit...irus-outbreak/

Both the city and state outlined their preparedness after the first two cases of Novel Coronavirus were confirmed in the United States, one in Washington state and the other in Chicago. The virus, initially identified in China, has now spread to 16 countries with 25 deaths, all in China.

The New York State Department of Health currently has four people under investigation for novel coronavirus who are under isolation as their cases are being tested at the Center for Disease Control. While the risk level in New York is currently low, Governor Andrew Cuomo is calling for increased vigilance to ensure New Yorkers are protected.

“As we learn about the first confirmed cases of this novel coronavirus in the United States and potentially in New York, I want to assure New Yorkers that we are prepared,” Cuomo said. “We are undertaking a wide-ranging and rigorous effort with all stakeholders, including healthcare providers, airports and federal health officials, to put in place the appropriate precautions to keep New Yorkers safe. The symptoms of this virus are very similar to the common cold, if you are concerned you might be ill, please follow our guidance to protect yourself and others.”

Last edited by Aeran; 01-24-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Get ready. If this comes here in big numbers, it’s going to be chaos. Thankfully mine and my close family’s daily routines rarely take us to the places where it will be bad.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Lucky you. I'll be right in the thick of it. Going to wear one of those heavy duty masks. Apparently, not all masks are the same quality. Those paper thin masks while cheap, do nothing.

Just got an alert update on my phone. So much for it just affecting elderly men.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/w...ronavirus.html

Death Toll Climbs, and Infections Reach Europe
Shanghai Disneyland shut down, hospitals pleaded for help, France reported three cases and the youngest victim so far was identified as a 36-year-old man in central China.

Chinese health authorities reported at least 15 new deaths in one day, raising the death toll to 41 — all in China. A second case was confirmed in the United States and three cases were confirmed in France, as health officials were preparing for an outbreak that could last months.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 PM

565 posts, read 361,965 times
As someone who lives not too far from Flushing, this has me on edge. Especially with little kids in daycare (with many Chinese kids). I'm sorry folks, this ain't racist but just straight up facts...many, many mainland Chinese that are here come from very much 3rd world conditions. Of course they are bringing this crap over here.

Time for a travel ban on China until this is under control.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I was in Flushing the other day

Saw a fair amount of ppl with masks on

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I was in Flushing the other day

Saw a fair amount of ppl with masks on
Yep. You know it's serious when you see young people wearing them. Even at the gym, no less.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
Don’t pick your nose on the subway! Sure way to give yourself a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City