Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 04:45 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Order online. USPS is still going strong.
I want to support a local store.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default $1,000 doesn't last always

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Won't even be that long IMHO.

April 1st is about two weeks away, and that triggers at least hundreds of commercial and residential rent payments due. Many both business owners and tenants just aren't going to have their money. Also by start of new month a whole set of other bills will roll out from credit cards on down to cable, telephone, etc....

Each time a bill isn't paid it will roll over to next month with another payment due. Sooner or later people are going to be faced with one big a$$ed bill that has to be paid. That or find some way of paying past due off while also keeping current.

Those government checks people are talking about won't do much for many. Do people have any idea how much money bars, restaurants, clubs, etc... alone are losing on a beautiful Friday like today? You can't make that money back, once bell has rung that is it.
You're right about that, $1k is not a lot of money considering the cost of living in most places in the US. If you have bills, children, $1000-1200 helps but you'll need that on an ongoing basis until you're back at work.

The serious shutting down here where I am (currently not in NY state) started 3/13/20. By April 1st, the 14- days trial period is over. Either the masses are exhibiting symptoms or they're not. If not, people should be allowed to pick up where they left off with their lives. It is foolish to keep holding people quarantine or lock down beyond that period to "see if the virus is going to show up in your body one day".

Honestly, the number of people that get it is not the real tragedy. It's the number of people that die from it that's the tragedy and as of now the numbers are not horrific. Consider how many people died from the flu last year, from pneumonia last year, from cancer last year, from heart disease last year, from complications due to diabetes last year. What were those totals by March? Yet, the gov't kept the economy going in spite of it all.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:47 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
oh bummer. I hear you but I don't think you can right now . I meant order from BN online though.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:50 PM

6,645 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
our town is doing curbside service, bakeries, coffeeshops, deli.

Not sure if that's changed now though.

:/

Old 03-20-2020, 04:52 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
our town is doing curbside service, bakeries, coffeeshops, deli.

Not sure if that's changed now though.

:/

I'm not sure how long restaurants will be able to get away with that. Eventually takeout will get old as people will start missing the in restaurant experience.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:03 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
So far, the longest lockdown has been in Hubei and that can vary in start and end time. It's not months of lockdown in Hubei for everyone though as parts of Hubei already have most of their restrictions lifted. They supposedly were able to somewhat get ahead of it with the help of the shutdown after bungling the beginning badly.

The problem for the US is that because of the initial slow response, there may be multiple regions that would require shutdown for a bit. This might not be so bad though if it's somewhat staggered. If we really do ramp up testing fast enough, then we wouldn't have as great of a need for full shutdowns and they wouldn't need to last as long.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I know what they say they're trying to do. But they have no idea if it will work. If they don't bring the caseload under the threshold, and it's FAR from a given that will be the effect, they may make the healthcare situation worse by extending the period of the system being overwhelmed. And, of course, on top of that, they're killing the economy.

You do realize we can lose five figures killed to the flue every year without even an economic whimper, don't you? But yes, there would be some level of economic disruption, but not nearly as deep. Most people would go on with their lives, keep going to work, and keep spending money. Eventually the virus would burn itself out as people got it recovered and developed immunity. We'd get it over with. Of course with the media whipping everyone into a panic, maybe not.
Yea, and the point of trying to get ahead is to not have six or seven figure deaths in the US from this. It's also potentially not just the deaths this year, but the still unknown longer-term health repercussions for people with severe cases who no longer carry the virus but have still suffered damage from it.

I get that you're in your 50s and your portfolio probably looks like **** now while you aren't that far away from retirement, but shorter-term loss now from a shutdown now could end up being a lot better than potentially much greater losses from relative inaction. It's possible that you are driven to be so opposed to more extensive short-term measures by the monetary pain to yourself and the grief of a larger general public doesn't really hit home for you--if so, cool! That's fine, but you might want to consider if your position on this really is more beneficial to your bottom line.

I mean, I'm a small business owner in an industry that does a lot of work for public events. I'm getting pretty screwed and my portfolio wasn't looking too good, though I thankfully pulled out somewhat early. I don't much like the economic pain this is causing either, but I'm of the opinion it's a lot easier to unclamp economic stressors from emergency actions than it is to roll with the coronavirus's punches in the case those punches start landing much harder.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-20-2020 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 05:13 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
We ordered delivery from a local Mexican Placed and ordered 4 beers and 2 Margaritas. Order their drinks now that is allowed.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:15 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
What about apt. building maintenance workers? Are they considered essential service employees?

Old 03-20-2020, 05:18 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and the point of trying to get ahead is to not have six or seven figure deaths in the US from this. It's also potentially not just the deaths this year, but the still unknown longer-term health repercussions for people with severe cases who no longer carry the virus but have still suffered damage from it.

I get that you're in your 50s and your portfolio looks like **** now while you aren't too far away from retirement, but shorter-term loss now from a shutdown now could end up being a lot better from greater medium-term losses. It's possible that you are driven to be so opposed to draconian short-term measures by the monetary pain to yourself and the grief of a larger general public doesn't really hit home for you--if so, cool! That's fine, but you might want to consider if your position on this really is more beneficial to your bottom line.

I think the supposed damage they see in survivors is likely mostly in people over 50 or 60 and there is no guarantee its permanent. Some severe para influenza, influenza, and adenoviruses can cause 6-8 months of reduced lung function which can show on chest X-rays but things return to normal most of the time after that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City