Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 03:27 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I meant during the day, about a half hour before I made that post on the street near my apartment. Yes, at night it's gotten very quiet.
Went out after making my post to run some errands on Second, Third and Lexington. Traffic is almost nil compared to what it should be around this time of day normally. Sidewalks were "busy" but much of that was supermarkets, Duane Reade, and other places getting deliveries. Tons of UPS trucks and of course Amazon guys with those carts.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,303,227 times
Quote:
I know what they say they're trying to do. But they have no idea if it will work. If they don't bring the caseload under the threshold, and it's FAR from a given that will be the effect, they may make the healthcare situation worse by extending the period of the system being overwhelmed. And, of course, on top of that, they're killing the economy.

You do realize we can lose five figures killed to the flue every year without even an economic whimper, don't you? But yes, there would be some level of economic disruption, but not nearly as deep. Most people would go on with their lives, keep going to work, and keep spending money. Eventually the virus would burn itself out as people got it recovered and developed immunity. We'd get it over with. Of course with the media whipping everyone into a panic, maybe not.

People will tolerate this through mid to late April tops and then revolting will start. Restaurant/business owners will just say they are opening and say arrest me if you want. Next thing you know everyone will. The governors know this too. This is only reasonable for about 4 weeks, tops and then you'll just have to hope it worked or begrudgingly move on.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So skilled, trained people who already have jobs in the field. Good luck with that.
Yes, due in part to fact good number of doctors and nurses have tested positive for Covid-19 and absent any other firm guidance have been placed on leave. This of course is a natural and sane reaction; but it doesn't help with staffing healthcare facilities.

Then you have fact some nurses and doctors who were on vacation/leave before all this started aren't coming back early in response to crisis. Those who had planned PTO have seen it cancelled for most part, and not everyone is happy about that either.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
People will tolerate this through mid to late April tops and then revolting will start. Restaurant/business owners will just say they are opening and say arrest me if you want. Next thing you know everyone will. The governors know this too. This is only reasonable for about 4 weeks, tops and then you'll just have to hope it worked or begrudgingly move on.
Won't even be that long IMHO.

April 1st is about two weeks away, and that triggers at least hundreds of commercial and residential rent payments due. Many both business owners and tenants just aren't going to have their money. Also by start of new month a whole set of other bills will roll out from credit cards on down to cable, telephone, etc....

Each time a bill isn't paid it will roll over to next month with another payment due. Sooner or later people are going to be faced with one big a$$ed bill that has to be paid. That or find some way of paying past due off while also keeping current.

Those government checks people are talking about won't do much for many. Do people have any idea how much money bars, restaurants, clubs, etc... alone are losing on a beautiful Friday like today? You can't make that money back, once bell has rung that is it.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:55 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Maybe the old man wants to check out early.
While that's a possibility, and within the bounds of his "free will", he does NOT have the right to potentially spread the virus to anyone who's not in a hurry to leave.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:11 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
I'm watching the Mayor & Carranza via Facebook live feed.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-20-2020, 04:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default Economy can be restarted

Quote:
I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this is going to be ineffective and economically destructive. The ones that agree need to make their voices heard, and in such a way that forces a reversal.

Even with this in a couple of months, they'll likely be big numbers (but a small percentage) dead, and the living will have to deal with a dead economy with no way to restart it.
I wouldn't say it's ineffective because I do think it will prevent fewer people from getting the virus. However, I don't think it's worth completely shutting down the economy for, though. Especially considering the flu and pneumonia kill thousands every year even though we have flu shots and medications to treat them.

We only need to have effective masks mass-produced and distributed publicly like they were doing with hand sanitizes and wipes. Make it mandatory that the mask is worn when out in public, PERIOD. Issue monetary fines to people caught in public without their mask on or with their mask not properly covering their nose and mouth. People are more likely to comply if they have to pay for being non-compliant.

I say nonsense that there will be no way to restart our economy. Our economy didn't die because it became obsolete or ineffective. It died (is dying) because it was forced to shut down. Once businesses are allowed to reopen their doors, the wheels of the economic engine will start rolling again. The question is how long is the engine going to remain turned OFF before it's allowed to be turned on again?

Old 03-20-2020, 04:17 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
The CVS and Walgreens stores by me have all cut their hours. If they don’t want crowds that doesn’t make sense.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:19 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
I have three Barnes and Noble gift cards to spend, are bookstores open. Shoot brains need to be satisfied ?

Old 03-20-2020, 04:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default I question do many people have any type of relationship with elderly persons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't get it, where is this rumor coming from that the internet order places are expensive?

they are cheaper than anything in NYC except trader joes
I wonder how often are some posters around elderly people? In what capacity? Can you answer these questions below based on the elderly that you know in NYC? I can and have reached my own conclusions about how it will go over with the average, working class elderly person.

Do most elderly have a smartphone or similar device and use it regularly?
Do they have a data plan?
Do they have knowledge of how to navigate the internet and find sites to order food to have it delivered?
Do most have a credit card/debit card/or Paypal to pay for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.