Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
But the government is already in massive debt and anything they do to "help" you, believe me you will pay it back and with interest, in ways they're right now sitting up nights thinking up. And then you'll pay more to bail out big corporations and the airline and hotel industry and a few other of the usual suspects. That check you get is just monopoly money by comparison.
This is what governments have always done during collapses and you too may soon need government help. If you get sick you may have to be treated at a new hospital opened up by the federal or state government.

Your employer likely has to be bailed out. Private companies are made of of PEOPLE, and their jobs are important.

Most payroll checks and all government checks come from accounts at a few big banks. That’s why the government doesn’t let the biggest banks collapse.

The MTA will be bailed out, as it should be. It needs to keep operating.

And yes the unemployment checks, expanded money for Medicaid to cover unemployed people, and food stamps are important to keep people alive.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:34 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
So the governor wants to shut things down for up to 90 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Shutting things down for 90 days is ludicrous and I don’t mean because it’s not fun.... I mean because small businesses left and right will be shutting their doors NEVER coming back! THEY CANT EXIST WITHOUT CUSTOMERS! THIS MEANS UNEMPLOYMENT CATASTROPHE! THIS damage in even 1 week of ZERO Revenue is irreversible. After 90 days it’s terrorizing. This fear is affecting real people. They are out on the street, they won’t be able to cover food transportation utilities and have a roof and food for their little ones. This fear needs to be taken no less seriously than the fear of catching Coronavirus.
I haven't heard anything about a 90 day shutdown. Did the Governor or Mayor mention this yesterday? I thought 2-3 weeks was the period that people are worried about transmission of the virus between people.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:49 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think it's actually Putin. He released it in China to make us blame the Chinese. He's the one who has been working for decades to destroy the U.S.
Russia would also be shooting itself in the head. As much as Putin fits the James Bond evil villain with the cat on his lap, I doubt it

Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I think this was a form of economic warfare to bring down the west. Since trump putting China in the headlock on trade.
I have not mentioned the President on a post during the crisis. In fact, I merely made a criticism of how Fox News handled the news reporting and was told by someone here that I was driven by political biases against Fox. I didn't think that criticism was justified but I did not answer the chargr for the sake of being civil during this time. A plea let's not go there right now during this lock down. We all will have plenty of time to discuss the elections or the Presidents response or conspiracies here at a later date. Or heck we can go to the politics forum I mean I am just saying

Old 03-21-2020, 06:03 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
IT looks like that NYC is offically the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak for the United States and the number of infected passes 5000 city residents. I expect NYC to surpass 10k by next week in infection.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/healt...ter/index.html

NYS has half of the nations infected people.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 03-21-2020 at 06:17 AM..

Old 03-21-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
NYC is getting slammed! How long before NJ, Westchester and Long Island set up barricades to keep people from city out?

One person an hour died yesterday from Coronavirus; and expectations are for that to continue for a period before things get better.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/corona...n-hour-in-nyc/
NYC is a very sickly city. Its full of people with HIV/Aids, Asthma, type1 and type 2 diabetes, cickle cell and so forth. All of which compromises the immune system which is neneded to fight off pathogens of the Covid-19. Also you have alot of homeless out there as well especially around penn station and port auhtority bus terminal. If I was the city of NY. I would start building hospitals on empty grounds of Rikers Islands, Governors Island, Roosevelts island to help cope with the surge of infected people in the coming weeks ahead.

I expect NYS to host half of the nations infected with majority coming from Downstate NYC area. New Yorkers should stay indoors. If I dont recall, around 30k died from the spanish flu in NYC during 1918.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
I think it's actually Putin. He released it in China to make us blame the Chinese. He's the one who has been working for decades to destroy the U.S.
Interesting point. Why isn’t Russia having a crisis? At least it’s not in the news about the virus.

If you are into conspiracy theories, last year I was talking to a guy from Russia who traded options. He told me with absolute certainty that the stock market would crash in March because of China. I assumed he meant because of a trade deal or not having one but now I wonder if he knew something. Probably not but it’s eerie.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
IT looks like that NYC is offically the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak for the United States and the number of infected passes 5000 city residents. I expect NYC to surpass 10k by next week in infection.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/healt...ter/index.html

NYS has half of the nations infected people.
Makes sense that the city with the highest and densest population in the country which will become the epicenter for the whole world would become an epicenter.

Looks like we are on track to leap past Italy in the next few weeks and probably surpass China's mere 80 something thousand cases within a month.
We are going to become the most infected country with the highest death toll in the world and will probably maintain that title 'till the end.

I think Florida might become the ultimate US epicenter. It is now starting to spread quickly there and they did nothing to slow it down until last day or two. Even now they are not doing much. It's going to rip through all those retirement communities like wildfire. There are a few states with a higher median age but those have nowhere near the age density of Florida.
Places like "The Villages" should already be erecting barriers.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
National Guard in NYC

Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Makes sense that the city with the highest and densest population in the country which will become the epicenter for the whole world.

Looks like we are on track to leap past Italy in the next few weeks and probably surpass China's mere 80 something thousand within a month.
We are going to become the most infected country with the highest death toll in the world and will probably maintain that title 'till the end.
I think Florida might become the ultimate US epicenter. It is now starting to spread quickly there and they did nothing to slow it down until last ay or two. Even now they are not doing much. It's going to rip through all those retirement communities like wildfire.
Yeah when looking at the math and using exponents. The American model will not reflect South Korea or Japan anytime soon. It will leap past Italy or even China in infections. The biggest problem will be deaths and the amount recovered. NYC has a higher death rate and infection rate than some nations.

As for NYC NYS? I'm hoping that NYC recovery rate can surpass the deathrate.. Why I say this. When looking at the numbers the recovery rate for many infected nations surpassed the deathrate, and it looks like Coronavirus is a very recoverable. Sad thing is about NYC is that so many residents have HIV/Aids, poor managed Type1 and type 2 diabetes, kids with horrible asthma and the list goes on like the homeless who have bad hygiene. You also have plenty of new Yorkers with heart condtions and are also plenty of smokers here too.

By Monday. Iexpect global infections to be at 300000 persons globally. I also expect the United States to be 20k in infections with NYS having 10k infections with NYC having 3/4 infected. By next friday NYC will have 10k or more infected, and the following week will be 20k for NYC or equal to the amount of seats at MSG during a Knicks game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City