Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 04:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Javawood, it may not be temperature itself, but the sunlight. Ultraviolet light is strongly antimicrobial. Even the current increase in natural UV radiation from the sun (as I see it through my windows in Boston this very moment) might be sufficient to kill a lot of this virus in the environment.
You will not have to worry about crime so much. The criminal underclass you loathe is going to get hit very hard in or out of prison.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:23 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
They don't, and they go a further step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iN7...ature=youtu.be
Well, that's pretty screwed. That poor kid's going to keep on getting brainwashed.

However, that video, after looking at the youtube link, states its from Jerusalem aka not NYC.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-06-2020 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Very sad that doctors in NY don't agree on Caronavirus treatment. I see some are stating publicly that

hydroxychloroquine is useless and dangerous to use. There are others that swear it's completely safe
to use and appears to work. I suspect the anti-hydroxychloroquine doctors will never use it to treat patients. More unnecessary deaths in my opinion.
It's not anti-hydroxychloroquine, it's that there aren't clinical tests that validate its effectiveness. This does not mean that a doctor can't prescribe it nor does it mean that there are efforts to validate its effectiveness right now. It seems like there's a general public misunderstanding of what's being said.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Some things that are encouraging are the following:

1. Singapore (though being a major cosmopolitan transportation hub, and having relatively strong geographic/demographic connection with the origin of the pandemic) has had only 6 deaths from the virus. Some of that is attributable to strict handling of the situation in this well-run city nation, bit still does not explain why the entire country of Thailand (where another cosmopolitan city, in many ways similar to Singapore, is located) had only 26 deaths, and Hong Kong only 4. These places had cases of coronavirus very early in the epidemic, before Italy, so it is not that the epidemic had not enough time to progress. It just basically did not progress much, the figures are lower than for an ordinary flu.

2. There have been cases throughout Africa, but also very little apparent spread.

What the three Asian mega-cities have in common is the mild climate (ie, tropical climate in case of two of them). They also have that in common with Africa. To me, these data give a cautious hope that the virus may not do well in warmer environment, which (in combination with measures to restrict exposure) could end the pandemic.... We'll see.
Right, I've heard that being bandied about, and it might be a factor of some sorts, but then there does seem to be exceptions like Guayaquil in Ecuador which is very much in the tropics and seems to be having a pretty catastrophic time with their outbreak. It's also possible that a lot of the Southeast Asian countries have fairly decent medical infrastructure in place and developed a plan and coordinating agency in the aftermath of SARS and that many African countries aren't tallying and testing very thoroughly. Essentially, there's unfortunately still a lot of missing and unverified information out there.

I guess the "lucky" thing is that there were related viruses with fairly sizable outbreaks, though nowhere near large as this, in previous years so there's a body of research that was already there to help develop drugs for mitigating this one's effects and potentially help with creation of a vaccine.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-06-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 05:07 PM

42 posts, read 36,868 times
It is being prescribed in hospitals. It is not clear if there is any benefit .

Old 04-06-2020, 05:17 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I haven't seen that. Just places there were open a day or two ago closed. I get the feeling there isn't enough business for them to stay open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Several places around here put flyers up a few days ago that said something to the effect that "due to the governor saying the next two weeks are going to be especially challenging, we are closing to protect our workers as of Sunday [yesterday]."

Old 04-06-2020, 05:18 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm777 View Post
It is not clear if there is any benefit .
LOL

If you open your EARS and listen. It's not just the President so ignore him.

TODAY even Governor Cuomo said NY is seeing great results with the Medicine and testing is moving along.

For Weeks and weeks countless doctors have said the same. Countless countries have said the same.

All we are missing is an "Official Test" to be completed, that's the only thing missing. This "Official Testing" is only to cover behinds.

Doctors? They all basically agree it works.

A good buddy of mine just got over Covid-19. His doctor in Westchester prescribed him the Z-Pak as soon as he got a fever and body aches. A week later he is completely over it.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:19 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Easter isn’t going to cause problems. Those churches are all closed and conducting services online. You’ve seen the videos on the other hand...

Haha exactly. Mazel tov!

Old 04-06-2020, 05:20 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Still seeing discrepancies in death numbers. ABC 7 Reporting 3,128 (note the link is live so the article may scroll down and off the page.)

https://abc7ny.com/health/nyc-faces-...rises/6021383/

City reporting 2738
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...04062020-2.pdf

Don't know were ABC gets it numbers.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:21 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Still seeing discrepancies in death numbers. ABC 7 Reporting 3,128 (note the link is live so the article may scroll down and off the page.)

https://abc7ny.com/health/nyc-faces-...rises/6021383/

City reporting 2738
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...04062020-2.pdf

Don't know were ABC gets it numbers.
You mean the media got something "wrong" to make it look "worse"?
You don't say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City