Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 30,567 times

Advertisements

I just got a scholarship for CUNY paying $18k, probably over 9 months. Out of that I'll have to pay rent, food, and if there is anything left, entertainment. Is it possible? I have seen posts here asking if it is possible to live on NYC on $55k, which got me worried. As a Brit I know I will face some problems getting a lease for my own place, even if I could afford it, so am looking at sharing/subletting etc, and even at the student housing offered by Educational Housing Services, which would get me a single room for $12k for 9 months - sounds a lot but I figure it would save me a bundle on utilities, phone, transport (its close to the Uni) as well as gym membership!

I dont have savings, rich parents, or the right to work when I get over there, so that $18k hs gotta stretch somehow - any advice appreciated!

R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricastle View Post
I just got a scholarship for CUNY paying $18k, probably over 9 months. Out of that I'll have to pay rent, food, and if there is anything left, entertainment. Is it possible? I have seen posts here asking if it is possible to live on NYC on $55k, which got me worried. As a Brit I know I will face some problems getting a lease for my own place, even if I could afford it, so am looking at sharing/subletting etc, and even at the student housing offered by Educational Housing Services, which would get me a single room for $12k for 9 months - sounds a lot but I figure it would save me a bundle on utilities, phone, transport (its close to the Uni) as well as gym membership!

I dont have savings, rich parents, or the right to work when I get over there, so that $18k hs gotta stretch somehow - any advice appreciated!

R
18k from CUNY? You must be pretty smart. Move to the outer boroughs, find a part time job nearby, and go to school

Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Wow. Lucky you got the money, unlucky that it's so little.

Assuming you'd come to study a particular subject, is it possible that you could write to any academic advisor you might have in your department?

The $12K for a room doesn't sound like that good a deal unless it also includes food. Screw the gym membership; you can exercise on your own. NYC is for walking, anyway.

I think you should try:

1.Looking at shares via any CUNY student website, or even the New York University (NYU) student website. I somehow think that it's possible to find something under $1,000 a month.

2.Looking at shares via Craig's List (www.craiglist.org). Be warned that you have to be very careful of scams. Watch out for anything that sounds suspicious, especially someone claiming to be an absentee landlord.

3.Asking for advice in the Craig's List housing forum for NYC. Don't mention the $18K, or they'll laugh you out of the forum. Just mention the rooming questions.

4.Finding the NYC-based ex-patriate forum, and ask some Brits for advice.

5.Asking if CUNY can hook you up with a part-time job for pocket money.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
If the $12K includes EVERYTHING (gas/electric/utilities/internet) it might not be such a bad deal.

If you look for a share elsewhere, you'll have to add on the cost of all the incidentals that won't be covered- not only utilities like gas, electric, internet but also little things like toilet paper and cleaning supplies for the bathroom, light bulbs etc.

And does the Housing services thing give you a furnished room? If so that will save you the cost of buying furniture which you'll only need for a year anyway.

What about a kitchen? Does the housing services have kitchen privileges? If not, how are you going to feed yourself cheaply if you have to eat out all the time?

If you don't decide to go that route, you may be able to find an apartment share in the $600-$650/mo range in Queens in neighborhoods like Sunnyside, Woodside, Elmhurst or Ridgewood.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:54 AM

7 posts, read 30,567 times
Thanks for the quick responses and advice. The 12k place does include all utilities etc, tv, internet, furnished room, does have kitchen facilities, but doesnt include food. Its tempting precisely because I wouldnt have to worry about all the incidentals, at least not for the first year. Its the hassle-free option, but clearly I would be paying for the privilege.

I'm hoping to get some on-campus work when I get there, but visa restrictions mean only 20 hours work a week, on campus - and I hear that getting work off-campus without a work permit is tough these days.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Get a part-time job. Maybe even an on-campus one which would be ideal.

Also get lots or roomates. Make your rent as cheap as possible.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricastle View Post
Thanks for the quick responses and advice. The 12k place does include all utilities etc, tv, internet, furnished room, does have kitchen facilities, but doesnt include food. Its tempting precisely because I wouldnt have to worry about all the incidentals, at least not for the first year. Its the hassle-free option, but clearly I would be paying for the privilege.

I'm hoping to get some on-campus work when I get there, but visa restrictions mean only 20 hours work a week, on campus - and I hear that getting work off-campus without a work permit is tough these days.
You'd be wise to take the university housing option. You don't have time to work/study and move across the ocean, chase down apartments, security deposits, roommates, the cable guy.

University housing will give you a PRICELESS hassle-free year in which you can become more familiar with the city, and you can eventually branch out if you wish. Plus, it's easier to make friends when you live on campus.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
what school? most have gyms-i know baruch's is really nice

Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Take the university housing and get a part time job. The part time job should be enough to cover food and incidentals.

Trying to find a place on your own could put you in a crappy area, or WAY far from where you have to go to school.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM

70 posts, read 251,741 times
12k is a lot for a single room...but sounds like you would be close to everything. Does it have a kitchen, that might save you some money on food. yeah get a part time job if you can, work just enough to eat, and take advantage of all the cheap eateries, free events in this city. I think you can do it. If you are simple, and don't need to maintain a certain lifestyle. I think you would still have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City