Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbury17 View Post
Thank you, BugsyPal. You’re very knowledgeable with more information on the topic than most. I have found 7 GD roaches over the week in my bathroom so searching for water seems likely their main goal. My bathroom wall is shared with the hallway but I think it must be a pipe issue. I vacuum multiple times and use cleaning products alongside what I’m doing to deter. I barely even go near the bathroom now if I can help it. I don’t want to leave any water although I guess the toilet has water. Thankfully I haven’t seen one there. The maintenance in my building mentioned less people in the summer means the cockroaches can climb up the pipes (how lovely).

Half of the roaches I’ve encountered have already died belly up. Maybe it’s boric acid or maybe they are dehydrated, but it’s a sign there’s more. Finding a big one walking around in daytime is concerning.. they seem desperate this summer particularly.

I think my building has a water heater in the basement so I can see how that environment could be adding onto my problem. May need to go higher than 12th floor if it reduces the encounters. My unit is furthest away from laundry room and trash chute on my floor but I’ve only seen them here and never common areas. Wasn’t a problem for a year but really turning into one now. But like you said, this summer’s exceptionally hot. Joy oh joy.

Thanks for great input and sharing your wisdom. I briefly lived in Florida but never had to battle them indoors like this.
Con Ed will love you for it, but one thing you can do is freeze the GD roaches out by keeping your place cool and dry. AC will not only lower temps but humidity, these roaches need both to survive.

As for seeing them dead it's a tough call, Yes, they can be dying from lack of water/moisture. But if you've been putting down boric acid and other insecticides most of them have a residual reaction. That is once exposed or ingested it can take several hours or even days before bug dies.

Boric acid and diatomaceous earth will kill roaches of all sorts, but take time. So if you want instant kill then go with a can of Raid. *LOL*

Raid and other known commercial products are better at instantly killing these giant roaches than the organic or whatever stuff from brands like Safer. Friend tried Safer roach spray because she was having water bug problems, but also has pets and small children. It didn't do a GD thing; roaches despite being hosed down with the stuff kept crawling away. Some were found (eventually) dead, but now she's gone to keeping several cans of Raid scattered about the house for when a water bug is spotted. One quick spray and the bas*ard is belly up in seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 7,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Oh boy. Another brand new account with a negative nyc thread title. The trolls are out in force.

No, I have not seen an increase in roaches. In fact, because we keep things clean, I have not seen a roach in my apartment for years.
Me, a troll? lol

I’m not brand new. Accounts over a year old as I asked moving questions. I read the threads mainly before moving to gather information on neighborhoods. I’ve been called many things but this is a first for troll..

Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Con Ed will love you for it, but one thing you can do is freeze the GD roaches out by keeping your place cool and dry. AC will not only lower temps but humidity, these roaches need both to survive.

As for seeing them dead it's a tough call, Yes, they can be dying from lack of water/moisture. But if you've been putting down boric acid and other insecticides most of them have a residual reaction. That is once exposed or ingested it can take several hours or even days before bug dies.

Boric acid and diatomaceous earth will kill roaches of all sorts, but take time. So if you want instant kill then go with a can of Raid. *LOL*

Raid and other known commercial products are better at instantly killing these giant roaches than the organic or whatever stuff from brands like Safer. Friend tried Safer roach spray because she was having water bug problems, but also has pets and small children. It didn't do a GD thing; roaches despite being hosed down with the stuff kept crawling away. Some were found (eventually) dead, but now she's gone to keeping several cans of Raid scattered about the house for when a water bug is spotted. One quick spray and the bas*ard is belly up in seconds.
I love Raid. I’ve ordered more as my first can is almost empty. I hate trying to squash them! So instant killing them with a raid bottle is my go-to. I just ordered a dehumidifier off amazon to see if it helps. My AC is set to 60 degrees but it’s a HVAC unit so it chugs along but doest have far reach. I can only imagine what Con-Ed will ask me to cough up.. the bill always increases with them no matter what.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Not really a brand new account. I remember them from last year with the dimmer switch question. Was hoping see the outcome of what they did.

But seems like they ask a question then disappeared for a year then came back to ask another question. I too am about to take the same approach as I find the more I stay on this forum the more its the same damn users posting the same garbage nonsense day in day out like they have nothing better to do. Examples such as posts above yours. Poster ask about roaches users responds with BLM
Lol I am random and don’t post often. The light switch I ended up returning after reading the replies. Still dealing with glaring bathroom light but all the better to spot the roaches with, I suppose. I’m thankful for the advice here. I get tangled up on city living sometimes but I keep to myself and keep it going before anyone notices lol

Old 08-19-2020, 12:01 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Lol I am random and don’t post often. The light switch I ended up returning after reading the replies. Still dealing with glaring bathroom light but all the better to spot the roaches with, I suppose. I’m thankful for the advice here. I get tangled up on city living sometimes but I keep to myself and keep it going before anyone notices lol
this is how you end roaches, you need the Raid traps with the egg stoppers

Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits Plus Egg Stopper,

I used this in a basement I worked at that had a huge amount of roaches, hundreds and it completely wiped them out
You spread out the traps all at once in various places in the area

The second part of the kit, the egg stoppers are poison that the roaches take with them back to the nest in the hard to get to spots and it wipes out the whole nest

In a few days they will be finished. If you can only get the regular traps forget it, they have to have the egg stoppers. Amazon has, maybe Home Depot or a store local to you , costs about $12
No need for sprays and bombs.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:37 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Me, a troll? lol

I’m not brand new. Accounts over a year old as I asked moving questions. I read the threads mainly before moving to gather information on neighborhoods. I’ve been called many things but this is a first for troll..
Response: Do not fret....only foolishness. Continue your research. Best wishes.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
this is how you end roaches, you need the Raid traps with the egg stoppers

Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits Plus Egg Stopper,

I used this in a basement I worked at that had a huge amount of roaches, hundreds and it completely wiped them out
You spread out the traps all at once in various places in the area

The second part of the kit, the egg stoppers are poison that the roaches take with them back to the nest in the hard to get to spots and it wipes out the whole nest

In a few days they will be finished. If you can only get the regular traps forget it, they have to have the egg stoppers. Amazon has, maybe Home Depot or a store local to you , costs about $12
No need for sprays and bombs.
Thank you, jonbenson. Had the regular old hotels out but I had zero luck so I will be making a trip to Home Depot for Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits Plus Egg Stopper. Sounds like an effective product to help reduce my problem as wiping out their nest is better than doing battle one on one.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Do not fret....only foolishness. Continue your research. Best wishes.
Thank you I wont take it personally. I can only keep on my little mission here..

Last edited by Newbury17; 08-19-2020 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City