Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 12:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,755,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Speaking for myself. CD. Yes it may sound ridiculous but if you think about it, CD is good to get a larger view because of differing viewpoints. That is why I always have a problem with you trying to hush up certain topics you don’t like.
I wouldn’t take the opinions of CD posters when it comes to politics. The average CD poster is over 60, white, Fox News watcher. There are some middle aged moderates like myself, but they are few and far between.

Young people don’t post on message boards outside of Reddit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 12:29 PM

34,107 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Speaking for myself. CD. Yes it may sound ridiculous but if you think about it, CD is good to get a larger view because of differing viewpoints. That is why I always have a problem with you trying to hush up certain topics you don’t like.
You should DM me about this.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2020, 12:39 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,237,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I wouldn’t take the opinions of CD posters when it comes to politics. The average CD poster is over 60, white, Fox News watcher. There are some middle aged moderates like myself, but they are few and far between.

You couldn’t be more wrong. My impression is that CD is a good mix of Left and Right, as well as moderates and young, middle age (me included) and older. There are also plenty of young folks too. People over 60 generally don’t do internet. Too young is no good either because they lack life experience, knowledge and wisdom.

CD and places like it are actually the best place to not get into the “echo chamber” that the trendy sites like Reddit tends to foster.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:25 PM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Quote:
Response: Interesting.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:29 PM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

Response: Opinion

Can't trust anyone white and over 60 ?

Does that make Governor Andrew and Mayor Bill trustworthy?

Old 08-23-2020, 03:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
I read NY Tiimes (I have a subscription) and I also would read NY Daily News for the more local/gossipy stuff that's beneath the NY Times. However, I'm not willing to pay for the Daily News and it often locks me out after a few articles.

I did find a work around for when I really want to read an article. Copy and paste the article headline into a browser - the result will come back with a link for the Daily News article. Don't click on the link but instead on the "cached" button that appears next to the link (click the down triangle icon to see where it says cached), and usually you can read it.

The process involves more steps than I generally have patience for so I do this only when something really strikes my interest. For whatever reason, I don't find the NY Post as good as Daily News but sometimes I do read it.

The Gothamist and Patch sometimes have some decent local news. You can also go to the websites of local news channels to get an overview of what you might see on the local evening news, like https://www.pix11.com/

Old 08-23-2020, 06:33 PM

5,523 posts, read 8,782,545 times
The best bet is not to depend on one news source because not only do they all have different slants, but they all report different news. Most of the time what people consider "bias" is not ideological at all, but the judgement of new editors of what is important enough for most people to know and what isn't. Too many news consumers, IMHO, have a hard time figuring out what is "news" and what's "opinion", although sometimes the papers will blur the distinction in a sneaky way by which photos, photo captions, and headlines they use, as well as where they place stories in the paper. That is why you should read, or at least glance at, ALL the dailies--even the New York Post, which I consider the most biased and weakest of the lot (out of the Times, Daily News, and Wall Street Journal).

Online I like therealdeal.com and newyorkyimby.com (real estate news), ny.chalkbeat.org (education news), citylimits.org (local politics), and occasionally manhattantimesnews.com (bilingual Spanish/English), gothamist.org (thin, but every once in a while I learn something there), and city-journal.org (the intellectual right wing slant on things). I also sometimes find some good reporting about the city in New York and The New Yorker, and you can usually find those articles on line too.

I don't have time to read all these things every day. But like I say, I don't depend on any one of them for my news about the city.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-23-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2020, 09:44 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,904,264 times
had noooo idea print newspapers were still a thing... they are as outdated as yellow taxis

Old 08-28-2020, 10:16 AM

8,385 posts, read 4,409,621 times
Quote:
You couldn’t be more wrong. My impression is that CD is a good mix of Left and Right, as well as moderates and young, middle age (me included) and older. There are also plenty of young folks too. People over 60 generally don’t do internet. Too young is no good either because they lack life experience, knowledge and wisdom.

CD and places like it are actually the best place to not get into the “echo chamber” that the trendy sites like Reddit tends to foster.

People over 60 created the Internet :-), though they were younger when they created it. My grandfather learned how to use the Internet in 1996 - because he was 92 and very deaf, so e-mail was very useful to him for communication :-).

People who never learn anything unless it is spoon-fed to them by mechanisms of popular mass culture, of course, do not learn anything new when they are past the age when they lose interest in "new trends" of mass culture. People who are educated in general never stop learning useful (and even not so useful) new things.

PS - I read the WSJ online for news in real time. I haven't had a paper subscription in many years because I travel a lot, so I wouldn't be able to read it, but I like to leaf through paper issues in the library, and would get paper subscription if I stayed put at home most of the days of the year (like this year, but this is hopefully the only year like this that I will experience :-). Reading stuff on paper is simply enjoyable in and of itself, even if the news are delayed by 12 hours or so. I do have a subscription to The New Yorker, but that is a magazine, not a newspaper, with different focus and purpose than reporting daily news.

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-28-2020 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-28-2020, 10:28 AM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: