Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 09:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I will no longer call you dude. I hear women refer to each other as dude and so maybe this is a Millennial/Zoomer thing. Tell your genitalia that i apologize.

At the same time, I am surprised you refer to yourself as girl instead of woman, which I have heard many women challenge. Thank you for this lesson today. I realize that women are not all the same and I will keep this in mind.
Yeah, inflection doesn't come through. I'm pretty sure I'm quoting something from a movie when I say "I'm all girl." It doesn't imply I am prepubescent. But as a woman who works in IT, it's been a particularly offensive thing, along with the men talking over you, dismissing your ideas only to rephrase the idea that you just stated 5 minutes ago as their own. IT is still a boy's club. (ah there is the context of all gal. It's akin to boy's club.)

Old 12-12-2020, 11:46 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yeah, inflection doesn't come through. I'm pretty sure I'm quoting something from a movie when I say "I'm all girl." It doesn't imply I am prepubescent. But as a woman who works in IT, it's been a particularly offensive thing, along with the men talking over you, dismissing your ideas only to rephrase the idea that you just stated 5 minutes ago as their own. IT is still a boy's club. (ah there is the context of all gal. It's akin to boy's club.)
Ok, that makes sense. Dude is a universal term. I say it to guys and gals. It's akin to saying, "you guys" towards a mixed group. It's not gender specific but I hear what you're saying. Reminds me of a colleague who didn't like people calling her "kiddo". It made her bristle because she was the youngest person in a team where others were 15-20 years older than her and she felt it was somewhat a diss when maybe it wasn't. And yeah, she worked in a male dominant profession (IT and private wealth portfolio mgmt).

Old 12-12-2020, 11:53 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
We have to stop with all this off topic nonsense lately. What's the common denominator? Hmm...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: