Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 06:27 AM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The issue with tenant blacklists is a tenant can end up on it simply because a landlord wants to get rid of them. I watched American Greed, which showcased a NYC landlord that bought dozens of apartments in NYC and did his best to run out all of the rent stabilized tenants so that he could kick them out and bring the apartments to market rate rent. If you lived in such an apartment, you would be singing a different tune.

He made all sorts of bogus accusations, created ongoing construction projects which compromised tenant health, and pretended he didn't receive rent payments to find an excuse to haul tenants into court to ask the court to evict said tenants. The only thing those people did was live in a rent stabilized apartment. That was their only "misdeed".

Guy even served jail time for his greed and crooked behavior.

https://www.boweryboogie.com/2018/09...-steve-croman/
it is no different then any other court action that does not go someones way , it becomes public record unless sealed by the court .

the person who has that record can explain it to a potential landlord .

the blacklist is not an actual list . it is public court records that can be seen on back ground checks .. an explanation can always be offered if warranted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
The issue with tenant blacklists is a tenant can end up on it simply because a landlord wants to get rid of them. I watched American Greed, which showcased a NYC landlord that bought dozens of apartments in NYC and did his best to run out all of the rent stabilized tenants so that he could kick them out and bring the apartments to market rate rent. If you lived in such an apartment, you would be singing a different tune.

He made all sorts of bogus accusations, created ongoing construction projects which compromised tenant health, and pretended he didn't receive rent payments to find an excuse to haul tenants into court to ask the court to evict said tenants. The only thing those people did was live in a rent stabilized apartment. That was their only "misdeed".

Guy even served jail time for his greed and crooked behavior.

https://www.boweryboogie.com/2018/09...-steve-croman/
I support many principles that I personally may disagree with. For instance, I support the right of people generally to refuse to associate with others under the First Amendment, even if there is a history of such behavior being used to exclude blacks (I am black).

For the case that you mentioned, the LL dealt already criminalized many of his actions already. You'll always have shady people (and the law should deal with such people otherwise), but that's not a reason in my opinion to prohibit the legitimate use of tenant court records when determining one's suitability to rent from you.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:33 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is no different then any other court action that does not go someones way , it becomes public record unless sealed by the court .

the person who has that record can explain it to a potential landlord .

the blacklist is not an actual list . it is public court records that can be seen on back ground checks .. an explanation can always be offered if warranted
I don't think they should have to when they already suffered enough from a scumbag landlord. Those tenants on American Greed went through years of hell with that guy in addition to the health issues they developed. Utterly disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I support many principles that I personally may disagree with. For instance, I support the right of people generally to refuse to associate with others under the First Amendment, even if there is a history of such behavior being used to exclude blacks (I am black).

For the case that you mentioned, the LL dealt already criminalized many of his actions already. You'll always have shady people (and the law should deal with such people otherwise), but that's not a reason in my opinion to prohibit the legitimate use of tenant court records when determining one's suitability to rent from you.
You can end up on that list just because you went to court for anything, including a sleazy landlord, so I say no. Doesn't matter how much money you pay either.

We complain about the record levels of homelessness on here, yet don't support facilitating measures to allow people to rent with more ease. The reality is NYC is comprised of mainly renters (always has been) at different levels of course and we have record levels of families and homeless kids now too in NYC. Funny people care more about saving pets from living on the streets than they do about saving people from homelessness.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:36 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
I don't think they should have to when they already suffered enough from a scumbag landlord. Those tenants on American Greed went through years of hell with that guy in addition to the health issues they developed. Utterly disgusting.

You can end up on that list just because you went to court for anything, including a sleazy landlord, so I say no. Doesn't matter how much money you pay either.

We complain about the record levels of homelessness on here, yet don't support measures to allow people to rent. The reality is NYC is comprised of mainly renters (always has been) at different levels of course and we have record levels of families and homeless kids now too in NYC. Funny people care more about saving pets from living on the streets than they do about saving people from homelessness.
Its true, they will blacklist you for bringing HP cases to court.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2020, 09:38 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:

We complain about the record levels of homelessness on here, yet don't support facilitating measures to allow people to rent with more ease. The reality is NYC is comprised of mainly renters (always has been) at different levels of course and we have record levels of families and homeless kids now too in NYC. Funny people care more about saving pets from living on the streets than they do about saving people from homelessness.
Those are fair concerns. But if the lists are going to be public, it seems wrong in my view to criminalize or otherwise try to prohibit LLs from using them, especially when they can and do often provide critical insight into one's suitability to rent out a place. LLs should be trusted to review the details of a particular case to decide whether they want to rent to someone. Even if LLs don't want to do so, from where I stand, they should be able to deny you simply for appearing on the list, which realistically they are still doing as enforcement of the regulation is tough to achieve; thus, much of my argument goes to the principle of the matter.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 1,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
people choose to live in NYCHA, NYCHA doesn’t choose you

True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City