Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 10:59 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,643,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For next year, I am sure we are safe, but this plan does not comfort me. Hopefully time runs out for these boobs before they can expand it citywide.

I hope you are correct, but I cannot relax on the issue until we know for sure.
With NYC schools, once you're in, you're in so I think you can relax about that one. Even if they changed the policy of your middle school, it would be for incoming students. I thought 7th grade was very stressful though because it determines high school admissions (even more stressful).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 12:32 PM

3,052 posts, read 5,013,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For next year, I am sure we are safe, but this plan does not comfort me. Hopefully time runs out for these boobs before they can expand it citywide.

I hope you are correct, but I cannot relax on the issue until we know for sure.
You seem pretty optimistic the next mayor won't push diversity even harder

Old 12-23-2020, 12:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,789,591 times
Even in specialized schools they have selective classes for those kids that fails to meet certain academic levels. We used to laugh in Brooklyn Tech at those HR classes where the cheaters are because they got in the school but failed to keep up.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:30 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
You seem pretty optimistic the next mayor won't push diversity even harder
I seem optimistic? Did you quote the wrong person? lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-23-2020, 07:22 PM

2,450 posts, read 978,348 times
People make choices in their lives to live in certain areas. Some choose to live in not so great areas because it's close to their place of work in Manhattan and, if they have children they can choose to send them to a not so great public school, or a private school if they can afford it. People like Airborne and me, who make good livings choose our families over convenience and moved to the South shore of Staten Island for one reason and one reason only, THE SCHOOLS. I LOVED living in New Dorp Beach. I was walking distance from Cedar Groove, I was walking distance from my local watering hole. I had every store and type of restaurant I could ever imagine. It was close to all mass transit. My Chick could walk to the train and take the ferry to the city when she worked downtown. It was an amazing place to live. My house was perfect for us. I loved my neighborhood. I loved my development. Lots of parking, real neighbors, etc... Best of all I was literally 6 minutes away from my office. It was a glorious time.

But, times change. we had a child and she was not going to send him to any of the public schools in the area. Not that those schools were horrible, but they weren't great. We moved. We moved to the area we moved to because the schools are fabulous. I made the sacrifice for my kids. Why should someone living in Stapleton, Brooklyn, the Bronx be given my kid's spot? I busted my ass to get where I am in life. I'm sick of the bleeding heart liberal wagging their finger in my face scolding me for not being equitable to someone who hasn't done a damn thing in their lives to deserve anything that I have. It's not like the opportunity wasn't there for these parts of the city. They were. But due to how people carry themselves the masses ruined it for those who wanted to learn. It's really not my problem. Fix the issues at the source, this is why I'm paying $7200 a year in property taxes.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:55 PM

32,010 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
People make choices in their lives to live in certain areas. Some choose to live in not so great areas because it's close to their place of work in Manhattan and, if they have children they can choose to send them to a not so great public school, or a private school if they can afford it. People like Airborne and me, who make good livings choose our families over convenience and moved to the South shore of Staten Island for one reason and one reason only, THE SCHOOLS. I LOVED living in New Dorp Beach. I was walking distance from Cedar Groove, I was walking distance from my local watering hole. I had every store and type of restaurant I could ever imagine. It was close to all mass transit. My Chick could walk to the train and take the ferry to the city when she worked downtown. It was an amazing place to live. My house was perfect for us. I loved my neighborhood. I loved my development. Lots of parking, real neighbors, etc... Best of all I was literally 6 minutes away from my office. It was a glorious time.

But, times change. we had a child and she was not going to send him to any of the public schools in the area. Not that those schools were horrible, but they weren't great. We moved. We moved to the area we moved to because the schools are fabulous. I made the sacrifice for my kids. Why should someone living in Stapleton, Brooklyn, the Bronx be given my kid's spot? I busted my ass to get where I am in life. I'm sick of the bleeding heart liberal wagging their finger in my face scolding me for not being equitable to someone who hasn't done a damn thing in their lives to deserve anything that I have. It's not like the opportunity wasn't there for these parts of the city. They were. But due to how people carry themselves the masses ruined it for those who wanted to learn. It's really not my problem. Fix the issues at the source, this is why I'm paying $7200 a year in property taxes.
System won't let me give you any more props atm, so this will have to do....

Old 12-23-2020, 08:09 PM

34,178 posts, read 47,465,420 times
You guys live in a city. And don't realize it. Because Staten Island is not connected to us. So I get it.

I'll say this - I want exclusivity I'm not living in a city. You can't get exclusivity in a city IMO. But most of you guys stay here mostly for the city jobs. So why complain. Take the money and run soon as it's time to go. The system is designed for you guys to pump money into other states when its done. So feed the machine, I aint mad. Thanks for the service.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2020, 08:58 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
We are, but here's the thing. A better system would encourage families on solid financial footing to STAY by providing the services that solid middle class people deserve and demand.

We are not here to support other people at our own expense. It's unfortunate that NYC keeps overwhelmingly electing people who believe that this system is sustainable.

We're the ones who say, "My kids deserve a good education. I am going to take them somewhere that will provide one," rather than, "Please government! Do something! Those privileged people need to see what our lives are like and we deserve theirs!"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-23-2020, 09:10 PM

A better system would not encourage people to run out of here. But it's not your fault man.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:16 PM

I think it all sucks and wish the climate was better too. But nothing beats human greed.

I read an article today that extraterrestial life from other galaxies will never reach Earth because they already expired themselves as they had a 5 billion headstart in their own galaxy

Meh

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City