Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 02:15 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Black American women are among the newest group of Americans who are emerging in higher education and socioeconomic status. They'll be fine and are hard working people who can rise from a lot of economic and societal turmoil and be resilient. Most of these women are....

.........................liberal too!

Black American women are getting easy degrees. They are not getting the hard and difficult degrees like in stem field, or working difficult jobs with their degrees either. They will be OK. Someone has to pay the tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 04:56 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Bugsy, do you know if high schools in Staten Island currently have in borough or district preferences?
High schools all over NYC got rid of zoning years ago IIRC.

https://nycasas.com/resources/school...n-new-york.php

Old 12-19-2020, 05:45 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Getting rid of geographic preferences for high schools should have been done long ago. It’s ridiculous that a smart Bronx kid has little to no chance of going to school on the Upper East Side just because of where he/she lives. That’s like Harvard saying we’ll give preference to kids in Massachusetts before anyone else. Harvard doesn’t do that because it wants talent from everywhere, not just Massachusetts. That would be ridiculous. And it’s ridiculous for high schools here. Sure, some families are going to be unhappy that their geographic preference no longer exists. But the more desirable high schools will be just as strong, except with a different crew of kids.

As for middle schools, I wish DOE had waited couple more years to see how the non-screen, lottery system in District 15 (Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Sunset Park, Red Hook, and others) ultimately plays out, both as far as kids’ academics and the system’s effect on parents’ decision to stay in the public schools. So far it’s looking good — https://www.google.com/amp/s/ny.chal...ng-to-new-data — but it’s still early in the experiment. I think the DOE may have been rash in dropping all screens so early.

Of course, as has been said many times, the academic problems for many kids are rooted in a sub-par K-5 education. Work needs to be done there for sure.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-19-2020 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-19-2020, 09:02 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
A wealthy white district does not automatically guarantee future success. Teachers are likewise not magicians that can transform a dullard child into a genius. If you observe closely the most successful people had vision and drive since they were young. Many never went to college or even graduated high school. You can look them up. There are too many to name. What they all did have in common were parents that taught them tenaciousness, reading, frugality and personal responsibility. What exactly is the incentive for an underpaid, overworked teacher to instill those traits when the child is not even theirs? Their is no incentive.. Parents need to buck up and set little fires under their lazy Tic-Tocking children's butts! You and you alone are responsible for your future success. Special little latte frappacino cutesy bistro's in high rent distict's and little doggy's that look like manicured rats sitting on lapps of yuppies near the public school does not mean jack.
Let's not be naïve. I know (white) families in the City that have their kids in public school. It's no secret that generally speaking, white families have an advantage when it comes to having the financial resources to either provide their children with private tutoring AND/OR provide resources that a school may need with an active Parent Associations. Money and connections make a hell of a difference, whether you realize it or not.

I have friends that teach, some in poor areas of the City, and others in areas where the families are not wealthy per se, but have the financial means if necessary to assist their children as needed, not to mention in most cases, having a mother and father. That alone makes a difference.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Black American women are getting easy degrees. They are not getting the hard and difficult degrees like in stem field, or working difficult jobs with their degrees either. They will be OK. Someone has to pay the tuition.
That's why their representation in tech companies is low, it's not some agenda by companies not to hire them. It's because few are in those fields. The most you see are administrative assistants, HR, planners, or some non technical positions.

A lot of tech jobs require multiple degrees or specializations in math and engineering. It's not easy and requires someone with a very strict upbringing to obtain those disciplines.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:18 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's why their representation in tech companies is low, it's not some agenda by companies not to hire them. It's because few are in those fields. The most you see are administrative assistants, HR, planners, or some non technical positions.

A lot of tech jobs require multiple degrees or specializations in math and engineering. It's not easy and requires someone with a very strict upbringing to obtain those disciplines.
They don't generally have the resources for that either, even if they were interested, which is another barrier.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:23 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
With Zoom, online learning, networks of people who are home schooling its easier than ever for parents to get their kids out of the mostly garbage public schools. You can find the best teaches of any subject online. And possibly work from home and move far away from ghetto thug infested areas to wholesome areas. If you can't send you kid to a good private school, get your kids out of the public school indoctrination factories that teaches them to hate America, hate American history, demonizes western civilization, teach revisionist history, etc... You know..."cultural marxism". And then of course just the general lack of discipline of the kids, low mentality garbage popular culture, and hip hop/rap clown ghetto culture that pervades many of these public schools. You don't want your kids exposed to that.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 PM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's why their representation in tech companies is low, it's not some agenda by companies not to hire them.
Very true. We're not getting those resumes, period. For what it's worth, when I was in high school I was in this really cool outreach program that worked. Most of us went into engineering and architecture. But of course outreach in HS only goes so far, if a talented kid goes to a crummy elementary school and a crummy middle school, good luck catching up by HS. And then there's the thing with, if the college takes me, can I afford it (good thing there are some good SUNYs...)

Anyway, back on topic, do I understand right that the city wants kids to get shuffled around and go to middle school outside their neighborhood? That makes just as little sense as everything else they've done this year. If some families are too scared to send their kids to the local school, next year they're supposed to be all over putting them on the subway to a different part of the city? And why are they even talking about changes when they've just wrecked the entire school system and, I'd bet big money, have no clue how to put it back together? Geez. Priorities.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:51 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Very true. We're not getting those resumes, period. For what it's worth, when I was in high school I was in this really cool outreach program that worked. Most of us went into engineering and architecture. But of course outreach in HS only goes so far, if a talented kid goes to a crummy elementary school and a crummy middle school, good luck catching up by HS. And then there's the thing with, if the college takes me, can I afford it (good thing there are some good SUNYs...)

Anyway, back on topic, do I understand right that the city wants kids to get shuffled around and go to middle school outside their neighborhood? That makes just as little sense as everything else they've done this year. If some families are too scared to send their kids to the local school, next year they're supposed to be all over putting them on the subway to a different part of the city? And why are they even talking about changes when they've just wrecked the entire school system and, I'd bet big money, have no clue how to put it back together? Geez. Priorities.
This is what I am saying...

Some mother or parents in West Brighton Houses aren't likely going to be too keen on sending their kids to Intermediate Schools 75, 7 and 34 way out on south shore instead of Prall just up Broadway at Forest avenue.

The real attack from Sam the Eagle and that schools chancellor of his is District 2 and other "white" school districts in Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
With Zoom, online learning, networks of people who are home schooling its easier than ever for parents to get their kids out of the mostly garbage public schools. You can find the best teaches of any subject online. And possibly work from home and move far away from ghetto thug infested areas to wholesome areas. If you can't send you kid to a good private school, get your kids out of the public school indoctrination factories that teaches them to hate America, hate American history, demonizes western civilization, teach revisionist history, etc... You know..."cultural marxism". And then of course just the general lack of discipline of the kids, low mentality garbage popular culture, and hip hop/rap clown ghetto culture that pervades many of these public schools. You don't want your kids exposed to that.
District 2 in Manhattan is already teaching kids to hate America and blame everything on white supremacy. If I was a parent who lived in a poor black housing project. Why would I want to send my kid to a school in district 2 in which the believe blacks are naturally inferior and being white is guilty. Please refer to my first post in which I posted a video and an article about district 2 school and an Antiracism Karen parent going ape crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City