Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:24 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times

Advertisements

It's the neighbors on this block you feel sorry for, and another thing that has spoiled the Island.

People should buy a single family home for just that, a place to live in maybe raise a family, etc.... You don't basically turn that home into multi-family housing by renting out various levels to different tenants.

Renting out an entire home to one person or a family is one thing, but it is a slippery slope when what is supposed to be a private residence begins turning into an apartment building.

Neighbors on this block likely bought their homes to get away from the nonsense that comes from renters/high density housing. Once one house goes that way pretty soon another eegit gets same idea, then before you know it almost entire block starts to tip from quite residential single family homes to a busted area full of renters.

This has happened time and time again in various parts of SI (mostly North Shore, but fast happening elsewhere), and explains why some areas of Port Richmond and West New Brighton went from stable middle class streets of homeowners, to busted hoods (if not ghettos) in about a decade or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 07:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,155,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Plenty of renters are running game, and thanks to Il Duce, Albany and usual suspects they can't be touched.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...vbar&nt=ticker

People who should have been evicted before covid are still in their apartments, haven't paid a GD dime in rent before March 2019, and certainly after (thanks to Albany), yet many are making bank or at least aren't busted. They're subletting, taking in roommates, running businesses out of their apartments....

Albany and supporters of usual suspects call such people "outliers", and that eventually LL will either get their money, or property back. Yeah good luck with that.
There are always people who will take advantage sadly. From this rent moratorium to social services we have many of these types around. Im sure plenty of us encountered somone "disabled" and on public services, who for some reason can run around partying, commiting crimes or having a child a year who they dont take care of for example.

Its easy not to care when they have no shame in thier game.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:10 AM

16,150 posts, read 6,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I just don't understand how people think this is ok. My rents gets paid early every month. I couldn't image not paying it.

You are a good egg. There is no way to justify what the tenants are doing other than taking advantage of protection under the law.
Once May 2021 rolls around eviction process will not be enough. Unscrupulous tenants have profited plain and simple.
If the city can not judge an award in favor of victimized Landlords a nice non expiring lien against property for unpaid
rent pursuant to a " Covid Crisis Rent Refund Act " would be a nice way to start.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:15 AM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Ha I just read the article. I dealt with that wacko at work.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-15-2021, 06:33 AM

11,367 posts, read 16,743,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Ha I just read the article. I dealt with that wacko at work.
Do tell more!!!

I did tell my wife that if we owned the home, I'd prob be in prison after I break "my" door down and throw both of them out on the street.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:47 AM

91 posts, read 72,816 times
Quote:
It's the neighbors on this block you feel sorry for, and another thing that has spoiled the Island.

People should buy a single family home for just that, a place to live in maybe raise a family, etc.... You don't basically turn that home into multi-family housing by renting out various levels to different tenants.

Renting out an entire home to one person or a family is one thing, but it is a slippery slope when what is supposed to be a private residence begins turning into an apartment building.

Neighbors on this block likely bought their homes to get away from the nonsense that comes from renters/high density housing. Once one house goes that way pretty soon another eegit gets same idea, then before you know it almost entire block starts to tip from quite residential single family homes to a busted area full of renters.

This has happened time and time again in various parts of SI (mostly North Shore, but fast happening elsewhere), and explains why some areas of Port Richmond and West New Brighton went from stable middle class streets of homeowners, to busted hoods (if not ghettos) in about a decade or two.

Do you know actually is buying these homes and making apartments out of them? I know on my block if this happened the neighbors will rat them out to the authorities.

I would never get into the renting game on the island, there is enough entitled trash and they are the worse ones like the ones skipping out on 80k of rent.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
Quote:

You usually do that with someone who has pretty good credit so that if something happens you can sue them. I don't know why the couple in the video decide to skip rent and take advantage of the pandemic. It doesn't mean you no longer have to pay any rent. You simple owe rent and the landlord can sue for unpaid rent in the future.

I hope NYC is prepared for handling eviction cases post pandemic. Many people will be forced to go into bankruptcy with the amount of rent debt that will be piled up against them. It will destroy credit rating for many people who are probably partying and spending their rent money right now. So many Americans are just so irresponsible.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:40 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darock View Post
Do you know actually is buying these homes and making apartments out of them? I know on my block if this happened the neighbors will rat them out to the authorities.

I would never get into the renting game on the island, there is enough entitled trash and they are the worse ones like the ones skipping out on 80k of rent.
Know and or know of many on SI, as does probably many others who live on the Island. Illegal apartments are all over SI, North, South, East and West shores.... From people renting out basements, single family homes basically being chopped up into apartments, ditto for two and three family homes.

Lots of homeowners on SI have finished basements compete with bathroom, kitchen, etc... Sometimes this is just the second "family space", and or one of the kids (such as adult son) has this as his "apartment". But when the kids move away and or someone buys the house and doesn't have a need for that space they've got an "apartment" ready made.

Sometimes it's a "mother/daughter" unit situation, but still the C of O states home is a single family.

In other cases a family may still own a home, but for various reasons no longer live on Island (or at least that house), so divide things up (basement, first floor, second, whatever..) and rent out.

Again huge parts of West Brighton and Port Richmond are full of illegal apartments. Everyone knows about the situation but OTOH the Island has very little rental housing overall. SI is mostly private single and maybe two family homes.

https://www.silive.com/news/2016/02/...of%20Occupancy.)

https://www.silive.com/news/2016/12/...n_illegal.html

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/c...t-1929115.html

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-civil-court/1612437.html

Old 01-16-2021, 01:20 AM

30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Horrifying.

But considering that eviction action was initiated well before the pandemic moratorium was implemented shows just how stacked against LLs things are in NYC.

I am a LL and am fortunate that my tenant continues to pay rent during this pandemic as I'd be out of luck with the moratorium.

While I feel for renters out of luck, I still have a problem with eviction moratoriums as it screws LLs over. I also think that more thorough research needs to be done to see if such moratoriums implicate the Constitution's takings clause.

One silver lining going forward is that this publicity makes it all the more likely that these renters won't be able to scam another LL. They are now widely publicized as frauds. Eviction court documents already were red flags to future LLs, but this takes the cake.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:43 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,785 times
Quote:
In my family and circle of friends things are keeping to the old ways; house is given to the kids or grand kids when parents or whoever make their get away to Florida, North Carolina or wherever.

On another note sadly no small number of people bought on SI and couldn't afford their house unless they rented out an apartment. That and people have two or three family homes they've turned into rental properties. Parts of Port Richmond, West New Brighton, New Brighton and other areas are full of these houses. At least two friends from high school own a few houses each they've turned into Section 8 or other low income voucher properties.

The lowest of the low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City