Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 12:25 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I really miss that spontaneity.
Me too! This is how I live every aspect of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yep. Likewise. And thinking twice about everything including heading out later than 10 pm whereas before, I'd think nothing of it.
Me too. I used to head out sometimes at midnight. Now I don't head out after dark .
The fact the numerous of my neighbors. Who are big dudes have said the same thing, means there are safety issues going on in the city.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:40 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Seriously?

Why isn't the city installing portapotties???????????????????????????????????

Where do they think the homeless people are supposed to go to the bathroom???????????????????????
Because then the homeless would cook and shoot up heroin in them.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Seriously?

Why isn't the city installing portapotties???????????????????????????????????

Where do they think the homeless people are supposed to go to the bathroom???????????????????????
The sidewalks have been the default toilet forever. When people aren't allowed to use bathrooms or are forced to pay for it all day long eventually people say F it and use the street. Why should I have to budget MONEY to urinate during the day ?

Old 02-05-2021, 12:50 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Me too. I used to head out sometimes at midnight. Now I don't head out after dark .
The fact the numerous of my neighbors. Who are big dudes have said the same thing, means there are safety issues going on in the city.
Did you hear about this? This is disturbing. It's not even in a really bad area of town (at least it wasn't pre-covid) and not all that late (9 pm)! The streets are desolate that's what makes it dangerous.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ttan-flee.html

Gang of robbers attack a 16-year-old girl walking with her friend in Manhattan and drag her along the sidewalk as she desperately clings to her purse

The robbery took place around 9pm on January 22 on 327 43rd Street

Old 02-05-2021, 01:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Going to restaurants and bars

^this

being able to just walk outside and there was new and always something to do

EDM concerts

Old 02-05-2021, 07:52 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,738,515 times
That girl had some spirit! I would've given up the purse (you can replace a bag, but not your skull), but then I never carry much cash, and only a few cards. Even less nowadays.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
That girl had some spirit! I would've given up the purse (you can replace a bag, but not your skull), but then I never carry much cash, and only a few cards. Even less nowadays.
Honestly you don't choose whether you fight or flight...When you caught up in the situation one or the other takes over.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:50 AM

565 posts, read 362,281 times
I miss my mobbed up Russian dive bar in Sheepshead Bay. Gone forever. Was open for 100 years dating back to prohibition (of course it wasn't Russian back then).

The best part was we used to openly taunt and harass the 2 ******* snowflake Jim Comey FBI agents scouting the joint for "Russians" "connected" to St. Rudy. All part of Comey's hoax. How did we know it was them? My boy, the #2 at the time in the NY office, told us! Lol.

Mod cut - no advertising

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-06-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-06-2021, 08:46 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Did you hear about this? This is disturbing. It's not even in a really bad area of town (at least it wasn't pre-covid) and not all that late (9 pm)! The streets are desolate that's what makes it dangerous.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ttan-flee.html

Gang of robbers attack a 16-year-old girl walking with her friend in Manhattan and drag her along the sidewalk as she desperately clings to her purse

The robbery took place around 9pm on January 22 on 327 43rd Street

I have not carried a purse in a very long time. What I carry instead is filled with garbage (street newspapers, a water bottle, cheap umbrella). I do carry a bit of cash, about $20, and a credit card which I would gladly give to a mugger because I will call the credit card company, and they will inactivate it/refund money for unauthorized purchases (as they have done in the past when somebody abused my card). I do not carry an ATM card unless I specifically plan to withdraw some money, never keep more than about $400 in the checking account (the savings account is not accessible with any card), and I do not own a debit card. I only carry with me a credit card (I have only one of them), driver's licence, and health insurance card. I try to avoid carrying my phone around if I can, and if I do, it is deeply under all the clothes, turned off.

What I miss most are the libraries operating normally. I also obviously miss large numbers of people in the streets and public places (if one does not miss that, why would he/she even want to live in a large city, any large city?).

While desolate streets are probably a factor in the huge rise in crime, I think the permissiveness to crime is a much larger (and the main) factor in it. There will have to be a backlash against that, because now not only conservatives, but also the majority of liberals (the relatively normal, moderate ones) are against that, including much (or most?) of the presidential cabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: