Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,237 times

Advertisements

Ok, It has never happen to me and I have never seen it happen, but with it in the paper and on the news so much, I was wondering how the process works?

I mean if I am walking down say Christopher Street, can a cop out the blue just pull me aside and start have me spread my legs and start frisking me?
Does the way one is dressed go into account?
Whats the protocol? I think I would be ashamed all those people looking at me like I did something.

Anyone have any experience? Pelon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Yup, that's pretty much how it works. They can make up any excuse to do it. I don't think it's a good policy, and using their "we are safer because of it" excuse (which is patently false) can be used to start searching everyone's homes randomly also. There is no difference and the policy needs to stop. I hope more people sue as it is the only way to prevent them from doing it.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,573 times
If you dress like you are going to church on Sunday, you will less likely be stopped and frisked.

If you dress like John Gotti, you will not be frisked.

If you dress in hoodie with saggy pants and walk in a ghetto sway motion, you will highly likely be frisk.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Yes, and if a woman wears tight shirts and a miniskirts, she is likely to be raped?
If you are wearing a hoodie and walking in Florida, you are likely to be shot and killed?

This is the problem with this whole "it's because of the way you dress" nonsense. It is blaming people and not the system which is exploiting us and removing our freedoms. So now women can't wear miniskirts, kids can't wear hoodies, and black kids have to be in a tuxedo when walking in NYC otherwise "they deserved being stopped and frisk."

What a joke. This policy is fundamentally flawed, and no different or effective or legal as simply searching people's homes randomly because "they are not well kept" or "The paint is peeling" or "the flowers in front were dying."...none of which has any impact on crime but strips us of our freedoms.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Where's that gun loving guy from Texas that thinks nyc is taking away freedom with their gun laws cause this law is actually one he could argue is taking away a person's freedom. I agree, what next? The ability to search one's home without a warrant because a cop makes something up or has a hunch about a place.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Using the standard of this stop and frisk policy, you don't need a hunch or suspicion...the house has litter around it, therefore we decided to search it, or the house had bricks missing so we decided to search it, or the house was painted in "strange" colors, so we searched it. That's the policy of stop and frisk.

I don't doubt by searching people's homes based on "well there was peeling paint" we will find a gun 1 out of 25,000 times, or a bag of weed 1 out of 30,000 times....it doesn't justify anything, is a violation of our rights, and has no impact on crime!!!!!!!

Ray Kelly has to go. NOW.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where's that gun loving guy from Texas that thinks nyc is taking away freedom with their gun laws cause this law is actually one he could argue is taking away a person's freedom. I agree, what next? The ability to search one's home without a warrant because a cop makes something up or has a hunch about a place.
NYC IS taking away gun rights. It's against the Constitution and does not make the city any safer. If criminals are the only ones that have guns, then they are more apt to rob and steal. Think about it this way, who do thieves target? There is house that has a security system and a dog, then there is a house that has nothing. They attack the house that has nothing. It's easier and they know there is a higher chance of success. If a criminal tries to rob someone and they have a concealed handgun ready, that criminal has two options, back away or engage. Back away means possibly living, engaging means a higher chance of injury or death.

Ridding the streets of guns just makes the cops more powerful and the criminals a lot happier. See they don't follow the rules anyways. So gun laws only affect the people that really care about possessing a firearm and are mostly responsible people. NYC is in a bubble when it comes to reality and how most of the country deals with issues.

On the stop and frisk, I would refuse to allow it since they do not have probable cause in order to do this and it violates my Constitutional rights. If they want to book me, go for it. But my first call would be to the ACLU.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,237 times
So even if Kelly goes, is there really a chance that the stop and frisk will go away or even go down?
And what are his chances of "going away?"

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
OK, well I had it done to me, and it was not funny. It was very upsetting.

Me and my partner were coming home from an after dinner walk in the neighborhood...... We live in Bath Beach Brooklyn. We were just about to enter our building when 2 men came out of a van and said excuse me, we turned around, I thought they were movers and wanted directions or something....

They then said the were the police, (undercover) and made us turn around against the car. I nearly had a heart attack as I am a very docile person. I couldn't even talk I was so nervous. The cop stuck his hands in my pockets and said do you have anything on you? I was like what are expecting to find?....

The pig officer says we live in a heavily drug infested neighborhood, which was news to me, I have living here for 25 years.....and Bath Beach is a sleepy little nothing residential neighborhood, nothing exciting ever happens here.....

So I say to him, OK, so what am I supposed to do? , move??? Of course they have no response, they tell us it is for our safety. Trust me, I don't look like I need to be protected....

I am a middle age 100 percent Greek man, and look it, I can't help the way I look, my partner is all Italian....we look very similar, people think we are brothers.

My partner is better with words than me, he had in his wallet his brothers badge who is a correction office in "Nassau County", so when they saw that then they all of a sudden got "sweet as pie" and said OK men, have a nice night.

I was so upset, you have no idea. I had a T-shirt with the police logo on it, I ripped it up and there it out. I hate the police. They are everywhere but when you really need them.

So NO!!!, I am not for this "stop and frisk" rule, it is degrading...and they did not even tell us why they stopped us......It is insulting, and embarassing.

After the whole incident was over, I felt helpless, violated and did not know what to do. Go to our police station? yeah, somehow I don't think that would have gone over too well. We did nothing, as we did not know what to do.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM

If you believe flooding the city with legal guns is the answer, your crazy! Have you seen the people in this city walking around, taking the trains, the buses, etc? Now picture all of them with guns....and now picture someone getting pushed a little too hard on the train at 530pm after a long day...and everyone on the train has a gun. Feel safer? I DON'T! I feel significantly less safe knowing that everyone has a gun.

Moderator cut: Off-topic The idea that everyone needs a gun in order to be safe is total BS...if that were the case all these gun happy states would have no crime....remember...criminals won't commit crimes there because potentially everyone has a gun. That isn't the case...and these places have just as much crime, if not more, than places with stricter gun laws. And there is no evidence supporting the assertion that more guns = less crimes. If you believe that the case, site your source...otherwise you are just spinning rhetoric by gun crazies.

Nightcrawler, there is now a class-action lawsuit on behalf of stop and frisk victims like you. I would contact the attorney and become a plaintiff in the case.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-17-2012 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Off-topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City