Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:02 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

Best neighborhoods for a single guy in Brooklyn will be these:

1) Williamsburg - tons of nightlife, bars, restaurants, singles. Go northside or southside--some incredible apartment deals can be found right now.
2) Greenpoint - really solid bar/restaurant options for singles. Great access to Williamsburg and Long Island City too.
3) DUMBO - the past decade has seen DUMBO explode onto the scene with lux apts and solid bars/restaurants/retail.
4) Brooklyn Heights - ideal for young single professionals in Brooklyn. Close to downtown in the city, yet within walking distance of downtown Brooklyn and Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens
5) Downtown Brooklyn - tons of new apartments have gone up in the past few years. bar/restaurant options have really improved.
6) Cobble Hill - quaint, quiet, yet vibrant and dynamic at same time. lots of wealthy folks with kids live here, but don't let that deter you. The housing stock is grade-A, and the bar/restaurant scene is hot.
7) Boerum Hill - very similar to Cobble Hill, but a big closer to a tad sketchier areas on the east side. But still a great neighborhood.
8) Gowanus - The Williamsburg younger cousin. Gritty like Williamsburg with some cool bars and restaurants.
9) Park Slope- tons of options for restaurants/bars and park access. Lots of strollers but lots of singles.
10) Carroll Gardens - lots of strollers but also lots of singles and couples too. A sleeper on this list but it has some great bars and a lower key scene.

Several more to note--
11) Ft Greene/Clinton Hill - good housing stock but closer to sketchier areas (somewhat).
12) Prospect Heights - also a good neighborhood with a ton of good housing stock. Decent bar/restaurants selection
13) Bed Stuy - if you want cool, edgy, yet grittier and sketchy in spots, this might be your neighborhood. Some awesome bars and restaurants here and there.
14) Bushwick - A bit too "college/right after college" scene for my tastes, and also sketchy in parts. But cheaper apartments and some incredible bars and restaurants
15) Red Hook - the lack of a subway stop has halted a ton of influx of people. But it's a Williamsburg meets Gowanus meets Bed Stuy vibe, that has a lot of warehouses and lofts and some bars and restaurants here and there. Near the water and not for everyone, but cool area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:10 PM

565 posts, read 361,965 times
I would suggest East New York. You can get a really good deal with your budget. Though they aren't yuppies, the locals are very welcoming to out of towners. It's quiet during the day but at night it's full of fireworks!!!

Old 03-27-2021, 08:21 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I never saw the allure of Greenpoint, most of the housing stock is super old
They've built some luxury on the waterfront, but yeah, the housing stock isn't great overall.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:40 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Best neighborhoods for a single guy in Brooklyn will be these:

1) Williamsburg - tons of nightlife, bars, restaurants, singles. Go northside or southside--some incredible apartment deals can be found right now.
2) Greenpoint - really solid bar/restaurant options for singles. Great access to Williamsburg and Long Island City too.
3) DUMBO - the past decade has seen DUMBO explode onto the scene with lux apts and solid bars/restaurants/retail.
4) Brooklyn Heights - ideal for young single professionals in Brooklyn. Close to downtown in the city, yet within walking distance of downtown Brooklyn and Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens
5) Downtown Brooklyn - tons of new apartments have gone up in the past few years. bar/restaurant options have really improved.
6) Cobble Hill - quaint, quiet, yet vibrant and dynamic at same time. lots of wealthy folks with kids live here, but don't let that deter you. The housing stock is grade-A, and the bar/restaurant scene is hot.
7) Boerum Hill - very similar to Cobble Hill, but a big closer to a tad sketchier areas on the east side. But still a great neighborhood.
8) Gowanus - The Williamsburg younger cousin. Gritty like Williamsburg with some cool bars and restaurants.
9) Park Slope- tons of options for restaurants/bars and park access. Lots of strollers but lots of singles.
10) Carroll Gardens - lots of strollers but also lots of singles and couples too. A sleeper on this list but it has some great bars and a lower key scene.

Several more to note--
11) Ft Greene/Clinton Hill - good housing stock but closer to sketchier areas (somewhat).
12) Prospect Heights - also a good neighborhood with a ton of good housing stock. Decent bar/restaurants selection
13) Bed Stuy - if you want cool, edgy, yet grittier and sketchy in spots, this might be your neighborhood. Some awesome bars and restaurants here and there.
14) Bushwick - A bit too "college/right after college" scene for my tastes, and also sketchy in parts. But cheaper apartments and some incredible bars and restaurants
15) Red Hook - the lack of a subway stop has halted a ton of influx of people. But it's a Williamsburg meets Gowanus meets Bed Stuy vibe, that has a lot of warehouses and lofts and some bars and restaurants here and there. Near the water and not for everyone, but cool area.
You've left out Bay Ridge, which has been ranked as THE best neighborhood in Brooklyn over the years. Subway service stinks, but there are frequent express buses. It has one of the largest bar scenes as well. It's obvious that you are listing these as a transplant and not a native New Yorker. You also left out Clinton Hill, which has always been a great neighborhood, with good housing stock. Most of the neighborhoods you listed are filled with yuppies or hipsters and have been gentrified by transplants over the years, so this list doesn't surprise me.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:07 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You've left out Bay Ridge, which has been ranked as THE best neighborhood in Brooklyn over the years. Subway service stinks, but there are frequent express buses. It has one of the largest bar scenes as well. It's obvious that you are listing these as a transplant and not a native New Yorker. You also left out Clinton Hill, which has always been a great neighborhood, with good housing stock. Most of the neighborhoods you listed are filled with yuppies or hipsters and have been gentrified by transplants over the years, so this list doesn't surprise me.

Below is literally the OP's post where he's literally asking for a yuppie area and is obviously not a native of Brooklyn. Bay Ridge is a great neighborhood and a pretty odd choice to mention given what the OP asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanJohnson View Post
I'm a 31 year old single male who enjoys a lively yuppie area. I'm looking to get a 1 bedroom somewhere in Brooklyn (Manhattan still seems to pricey for a nice apartment). My budget is 3k tops (Ideally 2700ish). I'm not familiar with Brooklyn other than the 2 or 3 times I've been to Dumbo and Williamsburg. What neighborhood in Brooklyn can I get the best bang for my buck and is not far from the city. I'm looking for an area with a lot of young people and good restaurant/night life. The apartment itself is important to me as well as I want to be in a luxury building. Between Dumbo and Williamsburg what would suit me better? So far those are the only 2 neighborhoods I know anything about.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Below is literally the OP's post where he's literally asking for a yuppie area and is obviously not a native of Brooklyn. Bay Ridge is a great neighborhood and a pretty odd choice to mention given what the OP asked.
No it's not. You obviously aren't aware of how many yuppies have moved to Bay Ridge. Depending on where in Bay Ridge one is, it is not that far from Manhattan at all. If you're in the 60s or 70s, you can walk to 59th St for the N express to Manhattan.

I know Brooklyn very well, including commute times. You can tell the transplants that, but not me. Born and raised New Yorker. All of the people that couldn't afford yuppie Park Slope, they moved to areas like Bay Ridge.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
No it's not. You obviously aren't aware of how many yuppies have moved to Bay Ridge. Depending on where in Bay Ridge one is, it is not that far from Brooklyn at all. If you're in the 60s or 70s, you can walk to 59th St for the N express to Manhattan.

Guy, there is no way what you're saying makes Bay Ridge a top pick for what the OP is asking for. He is a single transplant looking for a yuppie neighborhood full of young people and good restaurants and nightlife. There are yuppies in Bay Ridge and there are good restaurants, but then after that it hits nothing else. Bay Ridge's median age is in the 40s, it's got more family households than single households, and while I can recommend a couple of bars in Bay Ridge, I would not recommend anyone go out of their way explicitly for nightlife there. Delicious Arab sweets? Sure. Nightlife? What.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Guy, there is no way what you're saying makes Bay Ridge a top pick for what the OP is asking for. He is a single transplant looking for a yuppie neighborhood full of young people and good restaurants and nightlife. There are yuppies in Bay Ridge and there are good restaurants, but then after that it hits nothing else. Bay Ridge's median age is in the 40s, it's got more family households than single households, and while I can recommend a couple of bars in Bay Ridge, I would not recommend anyone go out of their way explicitly for nightlife there. Delicious Arab sweets? Sure. Nightlife? What.
It hits nothing else? Are you aware of how many bars there are in Bay Ridge? There are tons of them. You obviously don't know much about the neighborhood to make such a ridiculous comment.

https://gothamist.com/food/which-nyc...rs-restaurants

"When it comes to dining out, you can find just about anything you want in Bay Ridge as the borough has some of the best restaurants and bars."

"Along with excellent food, Bay Ridge is widely known for their bars, with over 40 different watering holes to choose from."

https://www.brooklynmls.com/bay-ridg...-school-charm/

Unlike you, I have lived in just about every borough. You speak as a visitor. I speak as a resident... Big difference.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
It hits nothing else? Are you aware of how many bars there are in Bay Ridge? There are tons of them. You obviously don't know much about the neighborhood to make such a ridiculous comment.

https://gothamist.com/food/which-nyc...rs-restaurants

"When it comes to dining out, you can find just about anything you want in Bay Ridge as the borough has some of the best restaurants and bars."

"Along with excellent food, Bay Ridge is widely known for their bars, with over 40 different watering holes to choose from."

https://www.brooklynmls.com/bay-ridg...-school-charm/

Unlike you, I have lived in just about every borough. You speak as a visitor. I speak as a resident... Big difference.

Yea, I know Bay Ridge has multiple bars and hookah lounges. This isn't a mystery, but there is no way you're going to tell someone that Bay Ridge is a nightlife destination they should make trek to above several other Brooklyn neighborhoods because that's ridiculous (40 bars for the entire neighborhood is it, really?). You're also not going to make anything close to a convincing argument that Bay Ridge is full of young people unless you're talking really, *really* young because there are people with families there with their kids which is almost certainly not what the OP is asking for since they pointed out they are single.

No one cares that you've been here forever. Neighborhoods change and you're too old to know nightlife for people in their 20s / early 30s that well now anyways. I haven't lived in Staten Island among the boroughs, but OP didn't ask about Staten Island.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Yea, I know Bay Ridge has multiple bars and hookah lounges. This isn't a mystery, but there is no way you're going to tell someone that Bay Ridge is a nightlife destination they should make trek to above several other Brooklyn neighborhoods because that's ridiculous (40 bars is it, really>?). You're also not going to make anything close to a convincing argument that Bay Ridge is full of young people unless you're talking really, *really* young because there are people with families there with their kids which is almost certainly not what the OP is asking for since they pointed out they are single.

No one cares that you've been here forever. Neighborhoods change and you're too old to know nightlife that well now anyways. I haven't lived in Staten Island among the boroughs, but who cares?
Well which is it? Before you said "There are yuppies in Bay Ridge and there are good restaurants, but then after that it hits nothing else." After I called you out on your lack of bars comment, now you know that there are bars. Dude, just stop while you're ahead. I'm not too old. I'm in my 30s. There are generations of people that live in Bay Ridge, and while there are families, there are plenty of young people there. You admit it yourself with your yuppies comment. With over 40 bars, obviously there are young people that frequent them.

The fact of the matter is Bay Ridge has changed over the years, and more yuppies have moved in. Is it a Williamsburg per se? No, but it IS an option, and has been changing with more younger people moving there. You are trying to paint Bay Ridge as ONE thing. It is pretty large and diverse overall, from demographics to age groups, even if it does skew older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City