Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 05:50 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'd have thought Yang was better at math than most.

Andrew Yang Hasn’t Done the Math
By Paul Krugman

What I do know is that Yang’s big ideas are demonstrably wrong. Shouldn’t that be cause for concern?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/o...utomation.html

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021/...n-do-the-math/
I'm surprised Krugman didn't come with more details as to Yang's current proposals for New York rather than what Yang was saying about UBI when he was running for president.

I would also like to hear who is Krugman, famous economist and Op-ed columnist for the NY Times,
who his preferred mayoral candidate and who the NY Times will endorse

Paul Krugman's website

Paul Krugman | Nobel Prize Winner and Op-Ed Columnist for The New York Times

and twitter

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman?lang=en

Andrew Yang website, policies (selections, a small fraction of )

https://www.yangforny.com/policies

Cash Relief ∙ Economy

A Basic Income for New York City

A Yang administration will launch the largest basic income program in the country. Through this program, 500,000 New Yorkers with the greatest need will receive a basic income that will help give them a path forward. Our goal is to end extreme poverty in New York City by putting cash relief directly into the hands of those who desperately need help right now, ensuring that every household has an annual income that is at least above extreme poverty, taking into account the true cost of living in New York City.

This basic income program will start with providing those who are living in extreme poverty with an average of $2,000 per year. This program can then be grown over time as it receives more funding from public and philanthropic organizations, with the vision of eventually ending poverty in New York City altogether.

A Safe and Fair City

Appoint a Police Commissioner with a background beyond NYPD experience.

Andrew Yang will appoint a NYPD commissioner whose career is not primarily in law enforcement. A commissioner will need to be able to advance the culture and support a vision for how the NYPD can be fully integrated into a larger public safety strategy. The commissioner must have a broad perspective of the NYPD’s role in New York and establish clear measures of policing success. That means refocusing the NYPD to protect against and solve violent crimes throughout the City while continuing to evolve.

A People’s Bank of New York

a Yang administration will launch the newly created People’s Bank of New York City. The People’s Bank of New York City will be initially funded with a $100 million loan from New York City.

The People’s Bank has two objectives: (1) ensure every New Yorker can access basic financial products and services, like checking accounts, and has the opportunity to save money affordably, build credit, and secure small business loans; and (2) Support small business lending in underserved communities by guaranteeing loans and loan portfolios.

A Strong Recovery for NYC Restaurants, Bars and Eating Establishments

Call for immediate federal relief for restaurants.

Convert Sales Tax collected by restaurants and bars into grants.
This temporary measure is a necessary way to get cash into the hands of businesses who desperately need it. The city should agree to forego sales tax collected by eating and drinking establishments until the state of emergency is lifted.

Halt the Commercial Rent Tax.
Commercial rent tax is an effective 3.9% surcharge on rent exceeding a certain threshold for Manhattan businesses south of 96th St. Now is not the time to leverage taxes on the backs of struggling businesses.

Convert Sales Tax collected by restaurants and bars into grants.
This temporary measure is a necessary way to get cash into the hands of businesses who desperately need it. The city should agree to forego sales tax collected by eating and drinking establishments until the state of emergency is lifted.

Halt the Commercial Rent Tax.
Commercial rent tax is an effective 3.9% surcharge on rent exceeding a certain threshold for Manhattan businesses south of 96th St. Now is not the time to leverage taxes on the backs of struggling businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 06:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5KptHAEMw

Old 04-29-2021, 07:41 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Says the non-resident

Who runs where you live at, are they doing a good job? Property taxes nice and low?
No problem with my property taxes. I am happy to pay it. You jealous?

Old 04-29-2021, 08:09 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Stereotypical much? This is the type of talk supposedly that people don't want to cancel. I see that the people posting about the beatings haven't touched this one yet.
Excerpt : Stereotypical much?

Response:

In all my years of teaching I never met an Asian that was not good at math.
I would bet my bottom dollar that comes from serious study and that's a good thing.

Just look at how many just got into Stuyvesant...............nuff said.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 04-29-2021 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'd have thought Yang was better at math than most.

Andrew Yang Hasn’t Done the Math
By Paul Krugman

What I do know is that Yang’s big ideas are demonstrably wrong. Shouldn’t that be cause for concern?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/o...utomation.html

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021/...n-do-the-math/

we see how the thread starter puts forth the Asian stereotype about being good at math which I didn't really like.

Anyway Paul Krugman is a liberal Op-Ed columnist for the New York Times.

It's possible but I'm not sure about it that when he titled this article "Andrew Yang Hasn’t Done the Math"
he meant either consciously (or perhaps unconsciously) to invoke this same stereotype that
" (being Asian) I'd have thought Yang was better at math than most." ?

I don't know if that was the case but I might be offended or confused by that if I were Asian.
I might think "does he think I'm some kind of defective Asian because we 're all supposed to be good at math? "

I think it's a dumb article title even if innocent. UBI is an economic concept that some people may not agree with but it's not like some math doing inability, regardless of if it's a good idea or not

Old 04-30-2021, 04:13 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
we see how the thread starter puts forth the Asian stereotype about being good at math which I didn't really like.

Anyway Paul Krugman is a liberal Op-Ed columnist for the New York Times.

It's possible but I'm not sure about it that when he titled this article "Andrew Yang Hasn’t Done the Math"
he meant either consciously (or perhaps unconsciously) to invoke this same stereotype that
" (being Asian) I'd have thought Yang was better at math than most." ?

I don't know if that was the case but I might be offended or confused by that if I were Asian.
I might think "does he think I'm some kind of defective Asian because we 're all supposed to be good at math? "

I think it's a dumb article title even if innocent. UBI is an economic concept that some people may not agree with but it's not like some math doing inability, regardless of if it's a good idea or not

Excerpt: we see how the thread starter puts forth the Asian stereotype

Response: Opinion
You are entitled to your opinion and that's O.K.
I found no harm in the thread starter.
I found no discomfort.
I wasn't left emotionally scarred.

I have been walking this planet long enough to know that Germans make the best pastries,
Italians make the best pasta dishes, African Americans make the best Chicken Dishes and
Spanish make the Best Rice and Beans. That's not stereotyping. That's plain old truth.

Anything can be stereotyped....... When it is done to hurt someone permanently........that is unacceptable.

Anyways.................Andrew Yang needs to focus on jobs, jobs,jobs..................to get a nod in my book.
instead of this this nonsense of giving out free money ...................................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 04-30-2021 at 04:28 AM..

Old 04-30-2021, 06:32 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
No problem with my property taxes. I am happy to pay it. You jealous?
Jealous? Not at all.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt : Stereotypical much?

Response:

In all my years of teaching I never met an Asian that was not good at math.
I would bet my bottom dollar that comes from serious study and that's a good thing.

Just look at how many just got into Stuyvesant...............nuff said.

Sometimes talking to you reminds me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. In your mind its still the 20th century.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:46 AM

297 posts, read 133,352 times
Quote:
Sometimes talking to you reminds me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. In your mind its still the 20th century.
Many Asians are good at math for a reason, it became a stereotype/generalization for a reason. It is due to our language and how we count in our native language. It is also the same reason why Chinese people have a far greater number of the population with perfect pitch then any other group. The tone is heavily emphasized - it is cultural.

Regardless, I believe, the math abilities decline once you move further away from first gen immigrant or don't speak or count in the language.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Many Asians are good at math for a reason, it became a stereotype/generalization for a reason. It is due to our language and how we count in our native language. It is also the same reason why Chinese people have a far greater number of the population with perfect pitch then any other group. The tone is heavily emphasized - it is cultural.

Regardless, I believe, the math abilities decline once you move further away from first gen immigrant or don't speak or count in the language.
Asians, or just Chinese?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City