Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 10:19 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where did you get the idea that it's not that bad in Queens? It absolutely is a problem in various areas of Queens, not just Astoria. Why would Queens somehow be "spared" when this nonsense is happening Citywide? Seems like you need to get out more.
I meant to say Queens by where my mom is (Flushing), it's not so bad. And I refuse to "go out more" until I feel safer to do so. I limit my daily treks to places I know & limit taking the subway as much as possible. At least for now. I don't want to get whacked in the head.

And really, I thought it was a problem only in the Bronx and upper Manhattan. I'm surprised that it's spread to Astoria and B'klyn. When did that happen. Are they a problem in Staten Island too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 11:02 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I meant to say Queens by where my mom is (Flushing), it's not so bad. And I refuse to "go out more" until I feel safer to do so. I limit my daily treks to places I know & limit taking the subway as much as possible. At least for now. I don't want to get whacked in the head.

And really, I thought it was a problem only in the Bronx and upper Manhattan. I'm surprised that it's spread to Astoria and B'klyn. When did that happen. Are they a problem in Staten Island too?

That's right on the Upper West Side along Columbus Av...

https://nypost.com/2021/04/10/nyc-re...l-atv-brigade/

This NYTimes article is from last year, but it's been going on a while now Citywide.

"With engines snarling across quieted streets, these noise complaints — coded innocuously by the city as “engine idling” — have increased by more than 40 percent over the same period last year. Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens have the greatest number of the complaints, but in the Bronx, calls went up by about 150 percent, and in Staten Island they rose by about 75 percent."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/n...aints-nyc.html

I see these idiots around the City on weekends. I was stopped at a light one Sunday afternoon going to a restaurant. Out of nowhere, about 40-50 of these guys came riding up towards us. None of them of course waited for the light to change for them to go, so we had to sit while they went by. Ridiculous. There's no enforcement from the NYPD anywhere, so of course it's a problem everywhere now.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:31 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Oh, wow. I had no idea. Maybe I was just lucky to have never run across them anywhere else other than Harlem. I've seen groups of bikers (and I mean actual bikers i.e. Hell's Angels types) more often than these guys. I hope it stays that way cause they're annoying af.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:51 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, wow. I had no idea. Maybe I was just lucky to have never run across them anywhere else other than Harlem. I've seen groups of bikers (and I mean actual bikers i.e. Hell's Angels types) more often than these guys. I hope it stays that way cause they're annoying af.
If you go out in morning you are less likely to deal with trashy behavior or people. If I talk a long walk around the bronx in the morning versus the afternoon. Totally different experience, vibe, energy etc.
I like to be out when its the warmest and the sun is the hottest but I also like the early peacefulness. So I go back and forth.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,844 times
I saw about 50 dudes pass by on a very residential street in forest hills and then hit queens Blvd. All traffic halted and those bikers ran thru red light like it was second nature to em. It wasn’t ATVs four wheelers though lol

Old 05-08-2021, 09:59 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I saw about 50 dudes pass by on a very residential street in forest hills and then hit queens Blvd. All traffic halted and those bikers ran thru red light like it was second nature to em. It wasn’t ATVs four wheelers though lol
Oh yeah, they LOVE riding down Queens Blvd. There's a video on social media of them doing that recently with an NYPD car following them. They aren't allowed to chase them, so not sure what the point was.

Here's a screenshot of them along Queens Blvd. I count about 30 of them just in the screenshot. Had to be about 50 or more total in the video. Unreal.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City