Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 07:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 3,484,992 times

Advertisements

Color me surprised. I totally thought this would 100% work out

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...6TblkeUzomNuR4

First responders in a new city program aimed to keep cops from answering 911 mental health calls are repeatedly calling for police assistance, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said Thursday.
The pilot program designed to have the emergency medical service and mental health professionals respond to nonviolent mental health calls has only been in operation for two and a half weeks, but so far very few of the cases have ended without police intervention, Shea said in an interview on 1010 WINS.

When can we go back to normal and arrest Criminals and get mental patients into hospitals and not let them out until both are better for society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,400 times
Never. This program was a great job creation/look we did that venture. It is here to stay.

The mentally ill have an inherent right to be crazy outside.

Maybe we can be allowed Tasers as a concession.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:48 AM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Shea needs to stop sending them then. The people voted. Give them what they want.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-27-2021, 07:12 AM

3,749 posts, read 3,484,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post

The mentally ill have an inherent right to be crazy outside.
How about crazy violent ones? And how do you know which are violent until they identify themselves by creating a victim?

Last edited by Werdywerd; 06-27-2021 at 07:36 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 07:20 AM

37,251 posts, read 39,538,577 times
Is this different from how this was imagined to work? I thought the idea was that as a safeguard, calls that involved weapons or evident threat of violence were supposed to be accompanied by police and those that weren't were not. So far it's been a 85% / 15% split, and it doesn't seem like the worst fear that the 15% split without police ends up in massacres has come to fruition. Maybe the split changes at some point, but I think it's best that if the split changes more in favor to just social worker intervention that it happens gradually as this is a change from how things were done before. I think gradually testing the waters and adjusting within a set criteria is probably how the city in general should tackle a lot of changes in procedures rather than sudden, wholesale shifts.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-27-2021 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 08:39 AM

Can we not say that it's safe to assume any issue that shakes out to be 85% on the side of needing police most likely was being dealt with correctly in the first place?

Instead, we inject a third party into the mix that the police now have to deal with as well. Yet another layer of nonsense created simply to avoid admitting what we all know: humans suck so badly, that people willing to do violence to keep them under control are always going to be necessary.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-27-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can we not say that it's safe to assume any issue that shakes out to be 85% on the side of needing police most likely was being dealt with correctly in the first place?

Instead, we inject a third party into the mix that the police now have to deal with as well. Yet another layer of nonsense created simply to avoid admitting what we all know: humans suck so badly, that people willing to do violence to keep them under control are always going to be necessary.

That could be inferred, but it's hard to say and it may be too early to state the accuracy of that thus far. There are a few remaining questions such as whether or that 15% is dealing with this in as efficacious and satisfactory matter as sending the police which would be a combination of the ultimate outcome which can be measured by various respects and the cost efficiency of doing so as it's quite possible social workers get paid a lot less than police officers when talking about total compensation package. Another question is whether this very early trial is being over or under cautious about when the police are also sent as I would hope that things would start out as over cautious rather than under cautious and if the mix ultimately shifts over time.

I think what would be in everyone's best interest would be that these laws are passed with intent, proximate metrics for seeing if that intent is met, proximate metrics for what are the believed potential issues, and a review timetable to consider those results. I also think that there are two different sets of parameters to consider with changes which is what are the effects of disruption / change which potentially can be temporary and can also be mitigated by meting out changes in gradual steps and what are the effects of what the steady state after those disruptions / changes have settled for a while.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:53 AM

Everyone's best interest is very rarely a politician's primary concern when crafting legislation.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Everyone's best interest is very rarely a politician's primary concern when crafting legislation.

I understand that, but not every politician's interest are aligned with each other and at least there's a somewhat functional, but imperfect and messy system of changing out politicians. I think that's part and parcel of the idea summed up as "democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." It's possible for a much more autocratic system to temporarily do better because it does not have as strongly such competing interests and it's possible at points that the people at the very top with so much authority and much less need to contend with or consider other interests do actually make smart and viable decisions (it's arguable that China and Singapore for examples had some fairly good recent runs of that), but ultimately it runs a huge risk for very dire instability on a mass scale when the snakehead leading the body gets a little zany at the top.

I think this is somewhat promising as a first foray and I don't think trying to force a complete routing away of NYPD from being on response, even though there are a few loud hot heads that may feel that way, is sensible, but there really needs to be greater transparency in the data. Oftentimes, NYC government is actually pretty decent about having the data and having it be *technically* public, but it's oftentimes scattered all over the place. It would be better if tied to these changes were metrics from the beginning and explicitly and visibly so. It's still pretty early in the process and it'd be good to track it over the time, but I do think the kind of transparency in process and easy access to data would potentially replace some of the sillier derpyderp-like snap judgments with more reasonable discussion.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-27-2021 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 01:26 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,400 times
I news to know what other countries do with their crazies. I don't see much of them and hear about them acting up to this degree.

Anyone has first hand knowledge of other countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: