Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 AM

34,125 posts, read 47,349,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
or has lived in everyone's shoes..

Everyone is different what worked for you might not work for someone else, etc.
Meh

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 AM

5,709 posts, read 2,627,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I like how everybody commenting doesnt have kids
This thread is about roommates not having children.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:41 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Cant really move out with a crap pay of 50K a year. If companies paid more they would
$50k is a respectable salary. Families in NYC live on that. The problem is inflated rents. If you don't have crazy student loans, you get roommates and then save money to buy something.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:08 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,896,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yes they can. Stop with this BS. I live a great life on less then that.
In your dreams....

40x rent requirement is not up for negotiation.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:10 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,896,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
or has lived in everyone's shoes..

Everyone is different what worked for you might not work for someone else, etc.
This is BS.

The numbers don't work no matter how you slice it.

I bet half "doing well" on 50k get help from Mom and Pop back in Ohio.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:46 AM

31,941 posts, read 27,057,104 times
I'm sorry, $50k per year after federal, state and local taxes in NYC comes out around $36k for same period. No one is other than those in NYCHA, getting vouchers or otherwise having someone else carrying their end is going to find an apartment alone with that sort of income.

Even busted persons living in rent regulated units since God made dirt and spit (read > 20 or 30 years) can barely afford to live on their own. Fact their rent is below market makes no difference. Monthly income is what it is, and no small number are rent burdened. Again just walk around UES, UWS, Chelesa, etc.. and you'll see plenty of white persons digging through trash in front of supermarkets, shops, stores or whatever. They are *NOT* homeless but looking for ways to survive after rent consumes a good part of their monthly income.

Those in well below market rate rent regulated apartments have no choice but to remain current at any cost. They never will find other housing so cheap and with such extensive protections. Well not unless they can get another rent regulated unit, into NYCHA, etc.... so cannot risk being hauled into court for nonpayment.

As for rest of it, NYC has always been a HCL area where good apartments for affordable rents were (and still are) hard to find. As such roommates have been common going back many decades.

Only thing is what was once restricted to young persons out of college (who eventually pulled up their socks, earned and got their own apartments or homes), you now see more and more young adults or even middle aged persons co-living.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:14 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,778,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I Again just walk around UES, UWS, Chelesa, etc.. and you'll see plenty of white persons digging through trash in front of supermarkets, shops, stores or whatever. They are *NOT* homeless but looking for ways to survive after rent consumes a good part of their monthly income.
Really?? I know dumpster diving is a thing in places like Seattle. Didn't know it was like that in Manhattan.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Really?? I know dumpster diving is a thing in places like Seattle. Didn't know it was like that in Manhattan.
You need to get out more then, *LOL*, since garbage picking (aka dumpster diving) has been going on in city for ages. Only new twist is that supposedly "middle class" whites and others are getting into the game.

Tranplants call it "freegan"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJmCUSb-ZVo

Stand in front of any Gristedes, DAG, Trader Joe's, or any other supermarket early evening when they start putting out trash and wait. People come with granny carts, shopping bags, those Target or Fresh Direct bags.... Ditto for any place really that sells food or anything of value such as DR, Rite Aid, CVS....

I've said this before, people even roll up in their cars to go "shopping". For about a year or so have been seeing this AA lady get out of her ride in front of UES supermarkets and go through thrash, hauling bags full of stuff to her car.

Have seen both local area residents and people pull up in cars (including late model German vehicles), going through trash at Milano Market on UES. That takes nerve since corner/block is infested with rats (who also like that garbage from Milano's). It's funny to see people digging through trash while rats are bailing out of bags on other side scurrying back into gutter/sewer.

Hint: the often white "middle class" or whatever people you see standing in front of a supermarket or shop early evening with empty folded shopping bags aren't just "passing by" or waiting for someone. They're waiting for trash to hit curb so can get first dibs.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:42 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times
Having a roommate(s) is a perfectly valid approach to making it work among certain older people. It doesn't have to be some crazy unstable setup with weirdos. It's all a matter of your priorities. Some people value a good location over privacy. Some people genuinely don't want to live on their own. I prefer the privacy, but I saved good money early on in NYC living with a couple of other professionals in their thirties even though I could've afforded my own place. We were all grown folks, and I'm still good friends with one of them. Not everyone wants or needs to live the exact ”standard” lifestyle. Especially not in NYC!

Old 08-04-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Having a roommate(s) is a perfectly valid approach to making it work among certain older people. It doesn't have to be some crazy unstable setup with weirdos. It's all a matter of your priorities. Some people value a good location over privacy. Some people genuinely don't want to live on their own. I prefer the privacy, but I saved good money early on in NYC living with a couple of other professionals in their thirties even though I could've afforded my own place. We were all grown folks, and I'm still good friends with one of them. Not everyone wants or needs to live the exact ”standard” lifestyle. Especially not in NYC!
Plenty of older persons have been co-living for ages as well. They even made a successful television show about it; what was it called? Oh yes, *Golden Girls*. Hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City