Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:48 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

The colorful pyramids were recently added to the tops of bollards at the 33rd Street and 7th Avenue Penn Station to discourage lounging. lol. Kind of reminds me of the little, metal spikes that are placed all around structures to prevent sitting or leaning. Ugly but practical.

https://www.thecity.nyc/transportati...re-mta-transit

The new showpiece entrance to Penn Station that added sparkle to the famously grimy transit hub late last year now has structures resembling ancient wonders of the world.

A trio of wooden pyramids was erected atop flat metal security bollards in front of the station’s East End Gateway at Seventh Avenue and 33rd Street — just months after the December 2020 opening of the sloping glass-and-steel entrance to the Long Island Rail Road concourse.

The pyramids, painted in bright pastel colors, look fairly artsy but were installed “to deter unauthorized activity” at the entrance that saw a MTA Police booth added several weeks after it opened, an MTA spokesperson said.

“People were sleeping there all the time,” said Crystal McFadden, a 49-year-old homeless woman who was instead seated last week on a NYPD barricade in front of the entrance. “They don’t be over there no more.”

Installed in May, the pyramids are among examples in the city and around the transit system of what critics have labeled “hostile architecture.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 11:08 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Hahah good. Degenerate lovers gonna advocate.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-24-2021, 11:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
The type of people who hang out around Penn Station are not the kind of people you want hanging around anywhere....

Old 08-24-2021, 12:10 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The type of people who hang out around Penn Station are not the kind of people you want hanging around anywhere....
Yah an innocent person was shot in that area yesterday, during the day. I think 31st and 7th ave

Old 08-24-2021, 12:31 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yah an innocent person was shot in that area yesterday, during the day. I think 31st and 7th ave
Doesn't surprise me. I go to the AMC movie theater there a lot, and every time I walk from the train it's nothing but junkies and assorted crazies up and down the blocks.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
Better to use architecture to deter lounging than arresting people. Though I think the reason there are critics of this strategy is because of a larger plan to keep homeless people visible and in your face. That way, the hope is the public will support more social service programs. This could backfire if public safety becomes too much of an issue as a result.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:22 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Doesn't surprise me. I go to the AMC movie theater there a lot, and every time I walk from the train it's nothing but junkies and assorted crazies up and down the blocks.
It's been like that pre-covid. Now post, it's gotten even worse but that area was always sketchy. Especially during the night time.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:28 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's been like that pre-covid. Now post, it's gotten even worse But that area was always sketchy. Especially during the night time.
Surprise they aint fry you for the bolded yet

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-24-2021, 01:39 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Compared to Port Authority, it's meh. I take the same escalator I always have. No idea where that new glass thingy leads to.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:29 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's been like that pre-covid. Now post, it's gotten even worse but that area was always sketchy. Especially during the night time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yes it's always been shady but as Aeran said it's worse. One thing I love to do on summer evenings is run my errands. From upper west side down to the village. Difference now is I hate walking from times square to Chelsea during the day. Night time now. Hell no.

One night this summer. Just as the sun was setting so about 8 pm. I was walking from 34 to 40. It was like I was the new meat in prison. I'm used to a lot of comments and harassment but these were from zombie like creatures of the night. I saw the bus coming and hopped on it. I think ya'll know how much I walk so for me to hop on the bus 6 blocks says something. One guy actually followed me on the bus. He literally said oh your getting on the bus. I will too then. So I sat by the driver and he got off at the next stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City