Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 02:24 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

When the commercial real estate market collapses
level the high risers and use all the bricks to create
sea walls around the 5 boroughs.

That's my new green deal...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 05:21 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Talking about something she has no intention of doing anything solid about.

Not huge fan of Same the Eagle and city council, but they do shyt even if it gets slapped down later by courts.

In bed with hotel trades union city council passed a bill, and Sam the Eagle signed it into law forcing hotels to either bring workers back or pay them hefty severance. Guess which most places chose?
Oh she'll do something about it. If this trend continues, the next step will be to point out - relentlessly and in coordination with their major media outlets - that it is racist because white people have most of the work from home jobs while minority service workers are getting the shaft.

Mark my words.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-12-2021, 05:33 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
This is good news. While residential rents are skyrocketing (again) and ground floor retail remains stubbornly stuck at pre-pandemic levels, office space has already reflected ACTUAL SUPPLY AND DEMAND economics! I cannot wait to sign a lease in a building overlooking midtown , Tribeca, or Wall Street <$800. Been shopping for a nice office space and have been talking to brokers since the summer.
Keep waiting. One thing th NYC RE industry has shown is that it's stupidly resilient and have very deep pockets. Especially with the near 0% interest rates.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:16 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's your definition of running one's mouth? Curious about it, because what she's quoted as saying doesn't square with what I think it means.

This is running one's mouth:

Quote:
Hochul says short of banning Zoom, which she (Hochul) says she won't do, people need to get back to work.

By what stretch of the legal imagination does she think that she even has the legal authority to 'ban' zoom?

Old 11-12-2021, 06:20 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post

By what stretch of the legal imagination does she think that she even has the legal authority to 'ban' zoom?
Whats next, ban emails? Internet?

You welcomed tech and globalization. Now eat it.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:30 AM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Honest question. If you could lock in a long term lease at cheap rates and say, lease out a whole floor would you do it? Then sub-let individual spaces on that floor over the years to make some income (depending on the landlord 's terms of service agreement).

Whether I would do it depends on my business model. If I'm into commercial RE, perhaps because that's how I make my money. But if I'm business owner with a F/T WFH in place with a proven level of productivity, no I wouldn't lock in a lease. Better to use the freed-up capital on R&D, better salaries, etc. WFH is here. Working in an office, whether many of us like it or not, is a dying trend. And with the acceleration of the Metaverse (think: FB, Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc.), I don't believe signing long-term leases in expensive markets like NY makes sense. WeWork's business model of short-term leases, which was a failure just a few years ago, might be ideal in a post-pandemic WFH world.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Whats next, ban emails? Internet?

You welcomed tech and globalization. Now eat it.

Of course! Email is a racist construct of the white supremacist tech world. Most email are printed out on white paper. That's proof enough right there! The internet, just like the interstate highway system was racist by design. Everybody knows it too!

Old 11-15-2021, 10:54 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post

It seemed pretty obviously a joke and not an actual policy directive. I didn't get the impression at all this was a serious suggestion.

Anyhow, I wonder what proportion of the lesser office spaces within Manhattan are being eyed for a conversion to residential now. There was already some of this happening especially in the Financial District prior to the pandemic, and I'd assume that some of the more suitable for residential conversions that are also lesser, not class A office spaces probably look a lot more tempting now. Overall, 2021 has been shaping up to be a record year for these:
https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental...artments-2021/

Old 11-15-2021, 11:51 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Tech is mostly full of woke, liberal, progressive Millennials and younger who from day one have bucked against that they see as an outdated work ethic. Covid was catnip to them as it gave cover to their long sought demands, end of face time/eight hours per day at office and so on.

They're all "super" happy, pursuing their dream jobs while still being true to themselves..... Yada, yada, yada...

Unless you intend to wall yourself up in a bubble at home can get sick anywhere and anyplace.

As James Dimon put it: "If you're well enough to go out to dinner, you can come into office and work..."

People crack me up with that "WFH to avoid catching Covid shyt". Meanwhile they're out and about (now mostly not wearing masks), at restaurants, bars, gyms, and otherwise enjoying life. So what? Covid is only lurking about at offices or other places of employment where *you* don't happen to be working?
While it's tempting to make everything political, here are the facts, based on my personal experiences. Tech workers have been WFH for more than a year and deliverables HAVE NOT been missed. That is the only metric that matters. If work isn't being done and deadlines are missed left and right, you can be sure employers would not care about your politics or what generation you come from. They are allowing workers to stay home because stuff is still getting done.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:57 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
While it's tempting to make everything political, here are the facts, based on my personal experiences. Tech workers have been WFH for more than a year and deliverables HAVE NOT been missed. That is the only metric that matters. If work isn't being done and deadlines are missed left and right, you can be sure employers would not care about your politics or what generation you come from. They are allowing workers to stay home because stuff is still getting done.
Agreed. It's mostly the BOOMERS in Finance that insist on 100% physical presence. Of course, same said boomers will work from their mansions in Connecticut and the Hamptons while ordering people into the office. Exhibit A - Jamie Dimon (JPM), David Solomon (GS), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: