Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 07:38 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,975,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
love how these people always have an excuse for why their thing is legitimate and others aren't. italy was soooooo "second world" that millions left that heavenly paradise "back then" to come here right?
That’s why there is a racial element to his/her post. I’m glad that there is a Little Italy, Chinatown etc. similar to Little Haiti.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:23 PM

368 posts, read 394,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Chinatown and Little Italy were never officially given those names by NYC, they evolved over time. Italy was more of a 2nd world country back then. Semi-industrial but with regional poverty in the south.
You really do not know what you are talking about.

The term "Third World" was created by the French anthropologist Alfred Sauvy in 1952, and referred to countries that in the Cold War era were unaligned with either the capitalist "First World" nations (e.g., US, UK, Canada, Japan) or the Communist "Second World" nations (e.g., Soviet Union, China, East Germany, North Korea, etc.) As non-aligned nations, Finland, Argentina, Chile, and India would all have been counted as "Third World."

The term "Little Italy" was in use long before Sauvy's creation of the terms First/Second/Third Worlds.
Furthermore, neither before nor since that time has Italy (which was a founding member of NATO, and therefore an official ally of the US) ever been an officially Communist country, and so it is absurd (and ignorant...) to speak of Italy as being a "Second World" (which means Communist bloc) country. Of course, you are always free to invent random new definitions for words that the rest of the world understands to mean something else -- but then, if no one can trust you to use terms with their standard meaning, how will the rest of us be sure that when you say "Italy" you mean the boot-shaped country in the Mediterranean, and not what the rest of us call Norway, or Samoa, or Quebec, or the Upper West Side?

Old 11-20-2021, 05:11 PM

37,382 posts, read 39,826,703 times
Anyone have recommendations on favorite Haitian restaurants and dishes for those restaurants? I found that I really like Haitian patties which have a puff pastry sort of exterior and their hot sauces to go with it are great.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:43 PM

870 posts, read 424,914 times
Quote:
Third World Country, hardly an example for an American neighborhood.
They happen to be in large concentration there, what's the issue?

Usually if your home country is not experiencing some sort of issues, you don't come here in large numbers.

Also, to mention two very stereotypical examples, Ireland and Italy, back in the days were Third World and really struggling, and their people were starving with zero opportunity. Then it became cool to hang in Little Italy. Italian food and culture used to be perceived as very disturbing to the general population back then.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:14 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,182,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
They happen to be in large concentration there, what's the issue?

Usually if your home country is not experiencing some sort of issues, you don't come here in large numbers.

Also, to mention two very stereotypical examples, Ireland and Italy, back in the days were Third World and really struggling, and their people were starving with zero opportunity. Then it became cool to hang in Little Italy. Italian food and culture used to be perceived as very disturbing to the general population back then.

Italy and Ireland eventually got a hold of their own destinies and improved themselves. Italy had the good sense to surrender to the Allies in WW2 in 1943, kill Mussolini, depose their useless king and then embrace democracy and capitalism. Ireland has shaken off it's British colonial past and the negative influence of the Catholic church to become a modern thriving democracy.

Quote:
Italian food and culture used to be perceived as very disturbing to the general population back then.
I disagree with the above. Outsiders flocked to the Italian neighborhoods of old for the restaurants and cafes. You were always safe on the streets of America's Little Italys.

Haiti just can't seem to get it right. France was a bad colonial power but they left Haiti over 200 years ago, so you can't blame them. Haiti is unable to truly embrace democracy and improve it's economy. And yet on that same island the Dominican Republic is in better shape.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:52 PM

562 posts, read 468,988 times
Quote:
Italy and Ireland eventually got a hold of their own destinies and improved themselves. Italy had the good sense to surrender to the Allies in WW2 in 1943, kill Mussolini, depose their useless king and then embrace democracy and capitalism. Ireland has shaken off it's British colonial past and the negative influence of the Catholic church to become a modern thriving democracy.

I disagree with the above. Outsiders flocked to the Italian neighborhoods of old for the restaurants and cafes. You were always safe on the streets of America's Little Italys.

Haiti just can't seem to get it right. France was a bad colonial power but they left Haiti over 200 years ago, so you can't blame them. Haiti is unable to truly embrace democracy and improve it's economy. And yet on that same island the Dominican Republic is in better shape.
I learned an interesting fact recently about Haiti. Haiti actually paid France $21 Billion to preserve its independence:

Quote:

In 1825, barely two decades after winning its independence against all odds, Haiti was forced to begin paying enormous “reparations” to the French slaveholders it had overthrown. Those payments would have been a staggering burden for any fledgling nation, but Haiti wasn’t just any fledgling nation; it was a republic formed and led by Haitians who’d risen up against the institution of slavery. As such, Haiti’s independence was viewed as a threat by all slave-owning countries – the United States included – and its very existence rankled racist sensibilities globally. Thus Haiti – tiny, impoverished and all alone in a hostile world – had little choice but to accede to France’s reparation demands, which were delivered to Port-au-Prince by a fleet of heavily armed warships in 1825.

Read the full article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...h=7f2920cc312b
I think the above should be factored in when explaining why Haiti didn't have the funds to build up its nation/infrastructure, after it won its independence.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:32 PM

870 posts, read 424,914 times
Quote:

I’m not the type to blame former colonial empires, France, despite what many people claim out of political correctness, brought a lot to it’s former colonies and protectorates. In Norhern Africa specifically, I mention it because the debate was reignited recently, Algeria had nothing.... swamps, barely populated, no agriculture.... France built French cities, taught them how to cultivate the land and so on... they became more than a colony, a part of the country and then along with many other countries fought for their independence and it was absolutely stupid, they would have been much better off. Morocco doesn’t hold a grudge from the protectorate era, neither does Tunisia, and Lebanon.... look at it....
Senegal remained absolutely Francophile.

Back to Haiti it’s just corrupt to the bone marrow, and I’m not enough of an expert to explain why the other half of the island is much less poor and much more functional.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:01 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,624,505 times
Quote:

Lol Haiti pays France independence debt

Even with the advent of the Internet we still know so little and yet are still willing to speak, smh, that to me is more fascinating in itself

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-26-2021, 09:47 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,975,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol Haiti pays France independence debt

Even with the advent of the Internet we still know so little and yet are still willing to speak, smh, that to me is more fascinating in itself
I’m not even sure why the country of Haiti needs to be a topic of discussion when the Little Haiti designation applies to Haitian Americans and immigrants of Haitian descent. It is out of pure racial considerations that the poster is critical of this designation. Italy, Ireland, China and a host of other countries were economically impoverished, which is why many emigrants came to the United States. However, we don’t see any issues with naming the Little …

In any case, I’m glad that Little Haiti is being recognized. Hope to check it out.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:40 AM

34,189 posts, read 47,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I’m not even sure why the country of Haiti needs to be a topic of discussion when the Little Haiti designation applies to Haitian Americans and immigrants of Haitian descent. It is out of pure racial considerations that the poster is critical of this designation. Italy, Ireland, China and a host of other countries were economically impoverished, which is why many emigrants came to the United States. However, we don’t see any issues with naming the Little …

In any case, I’m glad that Little Haiti is being recognized. Hope to check it out.
Haitian fried turkey is pretty good

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City