Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 04:27 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
These neighborhoods have a lot of new construction

As far as College Point goes, Flushing is only so big. Only a matter of time before it spills over, and they start developing College Point too. The "crappier" a neighborhood is, the easier it is to develop.
Even so, there is nothing attractive about most of College Point. There is no subway there for one like Flushing has, so it's not going to turn into this "it" place. Areas like Whitestone, Little Neck, Douglaston, etc., they have waterfront property and other amenities that make them desirable, despite having no subway. College Point is actually industrial in some parts.

Quite frankly, College Point reminds me of the Eastern part of the Rockaways... Pretty ugly, especially with the overhead subway. They should've found a way to bury it quite frankly. The Western parts, which have no subway, look much more appealing and cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 04:57 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Fordham???? Whoever wrote this is obviously not too familiar with Fordham.... yes there are a few blocks West of Fordham Road, blah blah blah but all in all Fordham in 2021 is hell... good luck !

Old 12-10-2021, 01:37 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Even so, there is nothing attractive about most of College Point. There is no subway there for one like Flushing has, so it's not going to turn into this "it" place. Areas like Whitestone, Little Neck, Douglaston, etc., they have waterfront property and other amenities that make them desirable, despite having no subway. College Point is actually industrial in some parts.

Quite frankly, College Point reminds me of the Eastern part of the Rockaways... Pretty ugly, especially with the overhead subway. They should've found a way to bury it quite frankly. The Western parts, which have no subway, look much more appealing and cleaner.

Burying the subway in the Rockaways would basically be asking for it in regards to flooding. It's a low-lying area and close to the ocean on *both* sides. I think elevated lines can work fine and not look like ass, as there are plenty of cities in the developed and developing world that have built such and with modern technology to make them look less intrusive. However, NYC and its environs hasn't built such or really anything particularly close to such and certainly not with more modern best practices, so while it would be a laudable goal, it's also one that's going to be tough to keep within a reasonable budget. One thing to ask then is how long before the stations and the tracks are due for a major overhaul and meanwhile line up the expertise and resources necessary to potentially do such a modernization when it comes time for the overhaul.

As an aside, I do wonder just how incompatible LIRR and the IND trains are. In multiple other cities, notably Tokyo, there is sort of a common carrier aspect to rail lines and stations so that transit of different agencies and goals are allowed to use the stations of other respective agencies. I wonder to what degree LIRR and IND are incompatible and whether if there comes time for a revamp, if the LIRR trains could be extended to once again bridge that gap and serve the Rockaways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Fordham???? Whoever wrote this is obviously not too familiar with Fordham.... yes there are a few blocks West of Fordham Road, blah blah blah but all in all Fordham in 2021 is hell... good luck !

I think you misunderstand what the post is. It's not saying those are the best neighborhoods at all, but that those are the neighborhoods where there are possibly the largest uptick of real estate related changes. It's not that Fordham is slated to be among the best or priciest neighborhoods in the entire city, but that it seems to be having some of the fastest price movements. Of course, that's also easier because Fordham relative to many other neighborhoods in the city has a relatively low base price, so something like an appreciation of $20K on a two bedroom there is going to be a massive relative change compared to a $20K change for a two bedroom in Williamsburg.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-10-2021 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 09:28 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
These neighborhoods are for out of towners. Most of the people born and raised in new york would most likely not even consider most of these neighborhoods.

Thank you, as a native new Yorker, I do know the difference between a good neighborhood and a shytty neighborhood.

and Bushwick, Red Hook, Williamsburg etc are all shytty neighborhoods, and your right, you'd have to be a transplant and think of it as raw and gritty, while us Brooklintes think of them as run down over priced slums.

and Colledge Point, crappy also, not to mention too close to LGA and all you'd hear are airplanes all day and night long, yeah, thats really deserieable to live near.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:57 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and Bushwick, Red Hook, Williamsburg etc are all shytty neighborhoods
and Colledge Point, crappy also, not to mention too close to LGA and all you'd hear are airplanes all day and night long, yeah, thats really deserieable to live near.
Bushwick made me go but I thought Williamsburg and Red Hook are pretty decent places.
But, I agree with you on College Point. Depressing. That place is just.. dreary and depressing.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Don't knock the living near an airport until you try it.

I've lived in a 10 minute proximity to JFK for 3 decades and am so tuned out it might as well be 100 miles away.

The only plane that ever bothered me noisewise was the old Concorde.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:30 PM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times
College Point isn't bad but very mediocre, like many Queens neighborhoods.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:46 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
College Point isn't bad but very mediocre, like many Queens neighborhoods.
Funny, coming from a guy living in PA.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:48 PM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Funny, coming from a guy living in PA.
I can promise you my current neighborhood ( or even former neighborhood when I lived in Queens ) is much nicer/safer then College Point.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:40 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
I've been in and around CP since the 70s. Know it very well. Was a great place to raise a family I'd say up until late 90s. What happened? Well, like most of Queens, the single family homes were knocked down once sold and rebuilt by forgeign Chinese developers into McMansions holding 10 or more residents. That meant 10 cars now on your street. 10 more people now on your street that likely coudn't have afforded to live in CP before the McMansion went up. And, eventually, 10x mo problems! So now you've got poor Chinese, mostly illegal Central Americans + low rent Americans from places like Brooklyn/Bronx/Southern Queens that can now afford an apt in CP whereas they were priced out years ago.

This is why CP now sucks and how it happened. Hope the facts don't hurt anyone's woke feelings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City