Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:24 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
No kidding. Ditto throwing that Citibike awhile ago. Citibikes are heavy. You can get a real workout riding those things. Whoever threw those things on the subway. He or she's been working out. And healthy.

We have the video of that Citibike incident but no one saw and taped someone carrying a microwave around the platform much less throwing it? Things that make you go hmmmm....
Yeah but at least a Citibike has wheels. You're not carrying it the whole entire way. Hell, if one was inclined, you could simply roll it onto the tracks. Carrying a microwave from wherever it is, down into the station, then to the subway tracks to throw it in takes way more of a considerable amount of time and effort. Just makes my eyebrows raise, that's all.

Like the SoHo thread from the other day. Homeless people with blowtorches and machetes? How are homeless people acquiring machetes and blowtorches? Like, is nobody even questioning any of this? Or are we just letting all these stories manipulate our thinking?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 02:29 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but at least a Citibike has wheels. You're not carrying it the whole entire way. Carrying a microwave from wherever it is, down into the station, then to the subway tracks to throw it in takes way more of a considerable amount of time and effort. Just makes my eyebrows raise, that's all.

Like the SoHo thread from the otther day. Homeless people with blowtorches and machetes? How are homeless people acquiring machetes and blowtorches? Like, is nobody even questioning any of this? Or are we just letting all these stories manipulate our thinking?
Maybe it was one of those mini microwaves. Some microwaves are tiny. Maybe that's why no one noticed. Now, if someone carried my mom's microwave everyone would notice. It's an older model and it's huge! But durable. My tiny one broke down within 8 mos. Hers has been going strong for close to 20 years!

Homeless people with machetes I can believe. Maybe he wasn't always homeless and had that machete from awhile ago and held onto it. Homeless people never throw anything out & carry all their belongings with them. And I thought machetes were kind of unique (only for ornamental purposes for those into martial arts) but someone told me they're fairly common in the Caribbean. They need it to whack some plants or weeds or something like that.

Now.. blowtorches...

Old 02-06-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe it was one of those mini microwaves. Some microwaves are tiny. Maybe that's why no one noticed. Now, if someone carried my mom's microwave everyone would notice. It's an older model and it's huge! But durable. My tiny one broke down within 8 mos. Hers has been going strong for close to 20 years!

Homeless people with machetes I can believe. Maybe he wasn't always homeless and had that machete from awhile ago and held onto it. Homeless people never throw anything out & carry all their belongings with them. And I thought machetes were kind of unique (only for ornamental purposes for those into martial arts) but someone told me they're fairly common in the Caribbean. They need it to whack some plants or weeds or something like that.

Now.. blowtorches...
Machetes actually are common up here too, if you're a landscaper. That's who would primarily use them up here, to whack at heavy brush/vegetation. I can see maybe a homeless person holding onto a machete for a while, but what use is it if you're not keeping it sharpened.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:45 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Exactly my point

Nobody even thinks of the logistics of this

For all we know the person could have been paid to do it, who knows at this point

But we love our shock media
There's something called a shopping cart. Despite the MTA supposedly "outlawing" them or whatever, I would bet some people still use them.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:01 PM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Poor microwave. Hope it hit the third rail and went out easy.
Did anyone start a GoFundme page for the microwave?

Old 02-06-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There's something called a shopping cart. Despite the MTA supposedly "outlawing" them or whatever, I would bet some people still use them.
Lol even worse. So a person (possibly) took the time to put a microwave on a shopping cart, wheeled it down the steps, and took it to the platform? Then took the microwave out of the shopping cart, threw it on the tracks, and left with the shopping cart? That doesn't sound odd to you? All I'm saying is that, thats a lot of work.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:44 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Maybe it's a disgruntled MTA employee. My first thought was not a homeless person but a bored teenager up to no good. They're young and strong and have time on their hands. Kind of like that incident where teens tossed a Target shopping cart off a parking ramp or some such thing and the cart ended up hurting a woman below. The video of that guy tossing the citibike looked like a teenager. I think...

Old 02-06-2022, 10:27 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Lol even worse. So a person (possibly) took the time to put a microwave on a shopping cart, wheeled it down the steps, and took it to the platform? Then took the microwave out of the shopping cart, threw it on the tracks, and left with the shopping cart? That doesn't sound odd to you? All I'm saying is that, thats a lot of work.
No, not if you've been paying attention to the latest subway fires. One person set themselves on fire the other day and another set a shopping cart on fire, along with another person setting luggage or something on fire. Sadly, it seems to be becoming increasingly normal.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-cops/3531055/

Old 02-06-2022, 10:32 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Maybe it's a disgruntled MTA employee. My first thought was not a homeless person but a bored teenager up to no good. They're young and strong and have time on their hands. Kind of like that incident where teens tossed a Target shopping cart off a parking ramp or some such thing and the cart ended up hurting a woman below. The video of that guy tossing the citibike looked like a teenager. I think...
Microwaves vary in size. A small one weighs 20lbs. It's not heavy at all.

I guess some here would be shocked to hear that many women carry their children down multiple flights of steps?

Old 02-07-2022, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,701 times
It is easy to launch Citibikes down the stairs especially the electrical ones. If you are in the same skin color tribe as the MTA employees you can literally bring anything down there and the MTA will ignore everything. Nice how some people reverse justify how hard it is to get something onto the tracks. Maybe they are just sticking up for their “brothers”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: