Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 832 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Looking for some honest advice on where to live outside of NYC? I understand there are plenty of great places to live within New York City, but I am looking for something that is just a tad slower. I will be commuting into mid-town for reference. I am in my mid-20s so would prefer not complete suburbs. Looking for a place that still has a downtown or a main street with coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc. I would prefer my commute to be less than an hour.

Do places outside of NYC exist for mid-20-year-olds just looking to not live in the heart of the city? Would also prefer not to spend over 3k a month for a one-bedroom.

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 08:58 AM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times
The less than an hour thing is tough, but have you considered Larchmont or Mamaroneck? I also don't know if those are good for 20-somethings, or what the rents are. So might not be that useful, but you could look at the downtown areas and see if that's kind of what you're looking for.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/r...smid=url-share

Old 02-23-2022, 09:21 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8169 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Looking for some honest advice on where to live outside of NYC? I understand there are plenty of great places to live within New York City, but I am looking for something that is just a tad slower. I will be commuting into mid-town for reference. I am in my mid-20s so would prefer not complete suburbs. Looking for a place that still has a downtown or a main street with coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc. I would prefer my commute to be less than an hour.

Do places outside of NYC exist for mid-20-year-olds just looking to not live in the heart of the city? Would also prefer not to spend over 3k a month for a one-bedroom.

Thank you everyone!
Stamford, CT. 1 hr commute is doable b/c you said midtown.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:34 AM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times
Life is slower outside of Manhattan. There are many outer borough neighborhoods that fit your description.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:05 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
If you leave the city, you will most likely need a car, even if some stores are within walking distance of your apartment. You will probably have to drive to the movie theater or other entertainments. Intra-city public transportation in neither efficient nor easy outside NYC. So, it's either a car or lots of Ubers.

I would look at the outer boroughs before you pack up for CT or Westchester.

However, if you insist on leaving, if you are working in Midtown east, stay with transportation into Grand Cental Terminal, not Penn Station or Port Authority.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:20 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Look at Hoboken, NJ, Jersey City, NJ, White Plains, NY, or Stamford, CT.

All offer tons of "city living" options with a large singles population and good bars, some clubs, hot restaurants, good coffee shops, galleries, shopping, urban living, etc., while still being right outside NYC.

They are within 5 to 45 mins depening on the city.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:30 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
The other option aside from some of the bedroom communities and suburbs mentioned is to consider bedroom communities outside of Manhattan like Brooklyn Heights. My old boss lived there years ago and it made it super easy for him to commute to our office in Lower Manhattan. You can have access to several subway lines to get you to Midtown fairly quickly. Other options like Williamsburg and Greenpoint are good and you can hop on the ferry to get to work. Should be able to find something under $3k for a one bedroom in these areas, or you could go with Riverdale which would definitely get you a nice amount of space for a one bedroom around $1900 - 2500 for a one bedroom depending on if you want a doorman and other amenities. You can take Metro-North to Midtown. If you are really close to the station you can be in Midtown in around 30 minutes.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:55 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Why not Jersey City? Is that still too urban? I mean, it might look like "the sixth borough", but the areas around Exchange Place or Newport are quieter than the city.

Maybe go there after work or on weekends and walk around to see if it's a fit.

Otherwise, Rutherford is an idea, though it might be too suburban for you.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:41 PM

5,810 posts, read 2,938,488 times
Towns along the Hudson river are awesome if you can afford it. Plus its closer to hiking and skiing.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:58 PM

786 posts, read 485,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8169 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thank you everyone!
NorthEast, Queens out by Bayside would be perfect for a 20 something, white collar who works in Manhattan but doesn't want the rat race. Suburban feel. Tons of green. Parks, golf courses, water, boating. Bell Blvd has tons of bars/restaurants. 20 minutes from Penn station via LIRR. Can prob get apt for under $2k.

If you wanna spend a bit more money, Great Neck in Nassau bout 2 miles East of Bayside is super nice. After that, you're getting into family suburban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City