Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 05:32 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times

Advertisements

I hate that Morton Williams is the closest grocery store to me, when it is gross outside or when I am lazy I use this store. All other times I go anywhere else. Does anyone else notice how they consistently charge more than the listed price. Something can be on sale and a few items will register as regular price. Or some items will be 50 cents to a dollar more than the price on the label. That leads me to hold up the line and mention it to the cashier. Sometimes they look for another item with the price tag or I have to search through the circular to show them the sale price it is just annoying. It gives me anxiety! Occasionally I get a cashier that doesn't care and she just changes the price. But still the worse part is when I forget to pay attention when they scan the items. I get home and actually look at my receipt and have to go back to the store the next day to get a refund. I have to go back on principle because the store is already grossly overpriced. Am I crazy, should I not care that they overcharge me about $2-$10 every time I go to that store?

Does anyone else notice this bait and price switch practice they have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 05:38 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Yes, the Morton Williams at 23rd street on the east side is ridiculously expensive. I prefer to order from Amazon.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:10 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
They are expensive, but I've never noticed them charging more than the either the marked price or sale price. But I'll pay more attention going forward.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:23 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
I use the one on 57th St when I'm in a pinch. They are pricey, but they carry all of the specialty/European products I like, and it is still cheaper than what I would pay in the surrounding area, unless I schlepped over to Whole Foods, but I have not had any issues with overcharging, but I only stop there occasionally. That said, I had a similar problem with the Whole Foods in Columbus Circle years ago before Amazon took over. I would buy things like beer only to see it ring up much higher than shown on the shelf. I would have to wait, but they would either give it to me for free or at a lower price. I use self checkout at every supermarket that has it now, this way I can check and take my time. I've had no issues with being overcharged. Morton Williams however to my knowledge does not have self checkout, which I find interesting, not at any of them. I kept looking thinking that surely they must, but they don't. I haven't been in the one by 22nd and Park in ages, so maybe there they do or the big one on 23rd St.

You are paying for their high rent though and the convenience, but I would definitely go back each time and get my money if I was overcharged.

Last time I was at the one on 57th St, I wanted some sparkling water. I usually get Perrier for all of $1.99 or less, so I was not pleased to see $2.49 in Morton Williams, but it was cheaper than the Voss sparkling water, which I think was over $3.00. I said no way am I paying that. I buy it, but not at that price.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Morton Williams is what it is, but streets better than Gristedes which are nasty, filthy places that charge sky high prices.

Three Morton Williams/Associated supermarkets on UES are reasonably clean, well stocked, and carry good inventory of international items not found elsewhere besides maybe WF.

We stopped getting milk and other dairy at local Rite Aid and went back to Morton Williams because their prices were cheaper for organic.

New Morton Williams at Third and 72nd gives Fairway and WF run for their money.

All this being said do bulk of our grocery shopping in Jersey (Wegman's in Woodbridge) where constantly run into Staten Islanders! *LOL* There's a Walmart right there as well, so all is good.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
To be frank, all the groceries/markets in NYC, Manhattan in particular, are pretty terrible.

It is what it is.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:37 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
To be frank, all the groceries/markets in NYC, Manhattan in particular, are pretty terrible.

It is what it is.
Exactly! Hence reason those who can shop out on LI, NJ or even up in Westchester.

Hopefully new Wegmans on Astor Place will shake things up a bit.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:37 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post

It is what it is.
No they aren't.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:14 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
You can call Consumer Affairs about those bait and switch prices and they can send some inspectors to see what they see. Big fines if they can catch them at it.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No they aren't.
What are some good ones?

I used to like the Fairway on 125th. But it closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: