Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 05:22 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Morton Williams is what it is, but streets better than Gristedes which are nasty, filthy places that charge sky high prices.

Three Morton Williams/Associated supermarkets on UES are reasonably clean, well stocked, and carry good inventory of international items not found elsewhere besides maybe WF.

We stopped getting milk and other dairy at local Rite Aid and went back to Morton Williams because their prices were cheaper for organic.

New Morton Williams at Third and 72nd gives Fairway and WF run for their money.

All this being said do bulk of our grocery shopping in Jersey (Wegman's in Woodbridge) where constantly run into Staten Islanders! *LOL* There's a Walmart right there as well, so all is good.
Could not pay me to shop in Gristedes. Disgusting is an understatement. Also shop in Jersey though switched back to Manhattan at a few Whole Foods for most items since the ones I frequent are well stocked and have self checkout.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 08:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I have OP's problems almost identically whenever I go to MY closest grocery store, Key Food, 92nd and Second. I have pretty much given up on the aggravation and walk farther afield for my groceries.

Bait and Switch seems to gall me the most. And NO MORE RAINCHECKS (which they are blaming on Covid, go figger.)

Old 03-13-2022, 10:13 AM

2,623 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Could not pay me to shop in Gristedes. Disgusting is an understatement. Also shop in Jersey though switched back to Manhattan at a few Whole Foods for most items since the ones I frequent are well stocked and have self checkout.
Gristedes should rebrand themselves as Grosstedes

Old 03-13-2022, 10:37 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
What are some good ones?

I used to like the Fairway on 125th. But it closed.
I love Westside Market. Used to go to the one at 97th/Broadway all the time, and it was great. They had a huge selection of pre-made food.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:26 AM

2,623 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I love Westside Market. Used to go to the one at 97th/Broadway all the time, and it was great. They had a huge selection of pre-made food.
Thank you! Will check that one out!

Old 03-13-2022, 01:23 PM

494 posts, read 557,763 times
Gristedes is a step below Morton Williams for sure. The one in Midtown West is decent but the prices are just stupid. Anytime prices get close to whole foods prices I just go to whole foods. No matter what anyone says it is such a better shopping experience especially at 8am. When I have time I go to key foods on W86th street. It is small, dark and a little dingy but the prices are good. And Yes you have to pay attention, they have some items miss-priced and sometimes they have"rain checks" which is just dumb. HOWEVER I only buy dry food and can food there, I would never buy any meat or dairy there because there is a chance it is expired or hasn't been refrigerated correctly. But even key food is turning expensive, they are slowly changing to Brooklyn fares or Food emporiums and increasing their prices. My other choices are Trader Joes and Wholefoods. They are close and even though they can be expensive I don't have to worry about wrong prices or rotten food and it is just a better experience.

Does anyone have suggestions on a good inexpensive place to buy meat and seafood?

Old 03-13-2022, 02:00 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Gristedes is a step below Morton Williams for sure. The one in Midtown West is decent but the prices are just stupid. Anytime prices get close to whole foods prices I just go to whole foods. No matter what anyone says it is such a better shopping experience especially at 8am. When I have time I go to key foods on W86th street. It is small, dark and a little dingy but the prices are good. And Yes you have to pay attention, they have some items miss-priced and sometimes they have"rain checks" which is just dumb. HOWEVER I only buy dry food and can food there, I would never buy any meat or dairy there because there is a chance it is expired or hasn't been refrigerated correctly. But even key food is turning expensive, they are slowly changing to Brooklyn fares or Food emporiums and increasing their prices. My other choices are Trader Joes and Wholefoods. They are close and even though they can be expensive I don't have to worry about wrong prices or rotten food and it is just a better experience.

Does anyone have suggestions on a good inexpensive place to buy meat and seafood?
Have you checked out Wegman's in Brooklyn? May be able to get some deals there.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:21 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
What are some good ones?

I used to like the Fairway on 125th. But it closed.
Target and Trader Joes are pretty good, except the Target on 34th. If you're in Manhattan, maybe consider hopping on the PATH to Newport there is a Shop Rite over there.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:00 AM

1,064 posts, read 545,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post

I used to buy seafood at Sea Breeze market near Port Authority when I had business over there. I haven't been in awhile so not sure about prices but you can check reviews. https://www.yelp.com/biz/sea-breeze-...arket-new-york

There is a meat market nearby as well, but I've never been there. https://www.yelp.com/biz/big-apple-meat-market-new-york

Old 03-14-2022, 05:48 AM

345 posts, read 853,601 times
That's why most people take public transportation or a taxi to go to Trader Joe's or Costco in East Harlem.
I'm always amazed at how many people get out of Trader Joe's and hail a cab with their groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: