Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times

Advertisements

one may find cheaper parking if some homeowners will allow you to park in the driveway, a few hundred a month could feed a family for a week.
Only in Manhattan,you cant park overnight in WMT,TGT,Safeway parking lot or even a bank branch.
In my neighborhood,Chase has closed its branch with a nice parking lot,anyone could park there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 09:02 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
What if I want to live in NYC at the lowest cost I can and not be glued to working full time where 100% of every Penny goes to the roof over my head, but I want to be right in the smack. Couldn’t I rent a storage in Newark NJ and then for basic bed and a mini-fridge live in a 60sqft unit and the deal of being able to live in the city because it’s so small that it’s affordable is such a novelty that people will bid it up to about $5,000/month and one guy offered $5,500 so I might have to go $5,600/month if not $6,000/month because A small studio to save Money is such a lifesaver that people will
Pay more for it so they don’t get outbid so it’s not gone

The job pays $45K/year so mom says you will just have to spend very very very very very little money on everything else. Don’t go to that dinner and a movie. Because $6000/month must be saved for rent and only making $45,000/year gross salary. Wait I think that’s not enough actually to cover the rent but maybe if I take a loan to hold me over. And eat leftover food and don’t use any utilities and sacrifice so I can be in NYC. I just want to hear the beeeep beeeeep beeeep and see bright lights and beautiful women and be able to impress my friends that live in NYC so they say Omg
Save some of that money to buy punctuation!

I cannot tell from your posts whether you are decrying this situation or considering taking part in it. Very confusing.

I can’t fathom anyone accepting such conditions, but whatever. Any way to cram more taxpayers and spenders into NYC works for me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-08-2022, 09:11 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
What if I want to live in NYC at the lowest cost I can and not be glued to working full time where 100% of every Penny goes to the roof over my head, but I want to be right in the smack. Couldn’t I rent a storage in Newark NJ and then for basic bed and a mini-fridge live in a 60sqft unit and the deal of being able to live in the city because it’s so small that it’s affordable is such a novelty that people will bid it up to about $5,000/month and one guy offered $5,500 so I might have to go $5,600/month if not $6,000/month because A small studio to save Money is such a lifesaver that people will
Pay more for it so they don’t get outbid so it’s not gone

The job pays $45K/year so mom says you will just have to spend very very very very very little money on everything else. Don’t go to that dinner and a movie. Because $6000/month must be saved for rent and only making $45,000/year gross salary. Wait I think that’s not enough actually to cover the rent but maybe if I take a loan to hold me over. And eat leftover food and don’t use any utilities and sacrifice so I can be in NYC. I just want to hear the beeeep beeeeep beeeep and see bright lights and beautiful women and be able to impress my friends that live in NYC so they say Omg
OP, do you have any idea how much storage units cost? And you have to be careful in choosing a storage company, because REIT's have been taking over that market, and they raise the rent in some of their storage properties every 8 months. How big a storage unit are we talking? The whole thing is impractical on the salary you give. Why take a $5k-$6K unit (plus the storage unit), when you can't even afford a $4K one? Or is this a gag post? It must be.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:42 AM

518 posts, read 626,972 times
I'd like to know where you can find a studio apartment in NYC for only $1,000.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:03 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Meanwhile I found a cheaper alternative vs living in a 60sqft apartment and this would be more fun!!!

Way more fun

You lease an SUV from someone over the online market more likely in the burbs somewhere away from Manhattan

Just big enough you can put the seats down and air mattress to sleep in it.
But small enough you can park it in monthly parking in an NYC park garage. This is your home !!! You live in that garage . I think there’s $500/month parking. You need a shower pay a friend to let you in their condo to use their hallway shower and use coin laundry. And If you have to pee there’s Walgreens, and meals you buy little grocery markets fruits and snacks on demand

The benefit of this home is you aren’t even just confined to the city , you can take it to the Catskills
or wherever

I think this may actually work. I could see this being no less comfy than the 60sqft high rise but even more convenient if the garage is easy access to subway stations
No NYC park garage is going to allow that. There are attendants who watch what is going on. So forget it.

You plans are kinda crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: