Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2022, 09:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,222,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
We don’t even have the largest homeless population in the U.S ( California does with California 161,548) yet it’s the most discussed topic on this forum by the same ppl on this forum. The same topic over and over again just worded differently. Y’all don’t get tired of repeating yourselves ?

I’m starting to think esacni is fully obsessed with homeless ppl. He either scared of becoming homeless or was raised by parents who had support from the government i.e EBTs/section 8. Because those are the ppl he hates on the most so he either was once in that situation and was shamed/is embarrassed or scared to ever end up in a situation like that. Can’t see any other reason someone would be so obsessed with these topics and constantly shame those ppl on a daily basis.
California has a much larger population than NY State, much less NYC. Of course they'll have more homeless people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 09:30 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
California has a much larger population than NY State, much less NYC. Of course they'll have more homeless people.
Correct.

NY population: ~20,000,000 / homeless pop ~91,200 = 1 homeless.for every 219 NYers

CA population: ~ 39,350,000 / homeless pop ~ 161,500 = 1 homeless for every 244 CA's

CA has more illegal immigrants than NY (about double), so the NYs ratio of homeless is even higher.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:16 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Correct.

NY population: ~20,000,000 / homeless pop ~91,200 = 1 homeless.for every 219 NYers

CA population: ~ 39,350,000 / homeless pop ~ 161,500 = 1 homeless for every 244 CA's

CA has more illegal immigrants than NY (about double), so the NYs ratio of homeless is even higher.
California is also a much larger state land-wise, and the population of homeless are not only concentrated in large cities like LA and SF.

Many smaller cities, and even towns, have homeless camps there.

Whereas a majority of NY State's homeless population are in the 5 boroughs.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
California is also a much larger state land-wise, and the population of homeless are not only concentrated in large cities like LA and SF.

Many smaller cities, and even towns, have homeless camps there.

Whereas a majority of NY State's homeless population are in the 5 boroughs.
Isn't just size of state, but California's climate over much of it is conducive to living rough.

Southern, and good part of northern California do not have cold winters like northeast. People can and have lived outdoors basically all year.

California also long was a destination for persons from mid-west and some other areas just like New York City is for many on this side of country.

Good number of homeless in CA are just what you see in NYC, people who arrived with big dreams that never happened, and or those who see a good thing where it happens to be.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:00 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Good portion but by no means all homeless on streets are out there because that's what they want to do. They're good at working system when it benefits themselves, and or don't want anyone messing with their hustle.

Yes, when city was putting people up on hotels who wouldn't jump at that chance? Especially when city wasn't putting these homeless through the system of making them go to shelters and so forth first.

Good number of homeless now know the deal, they're holding out for an "ah-phat-ment". That is they want one of those units in a residential building, not shelter that city is paying most if not all rent.

These hard core homeless have issues with going to shelters not just because of violence and other perceived conditions, but because those places have rules. Quite a lot does go on in such places (drugs, and God only knows what else), but technically people can be kicked out for violations and or non compliance.

There's a homeless camp at north end of "Q" station platform at 72nd street, see it every time train pulls out of station. They've got furniture, phones/tablets, and everything else they need.
Oh wow. I don't think I've taken that train that far south before, but that is crazy. I think I have boarded a few times at 86th St snd taken it south to 57th or something, but that was years ago.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:52 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh wow. I don't think I've taken that train that far south before, but that is crazy. I think I have boarded a few times at 86th St snd taken it south to 57th or something, but that was years ago.
"Q" was good for about year or so after it opened, but it didn't take long before it became infested with animals and homeless. It was bound to happen as "R" and "N" lines have long had same problems.

Broadway local and express trains have very long routes, great for homeless looking to sleep or otherwise ride a train all night or even day.

"Q" stations at 72nd, 86th, 96th both platforms and upstairs have had homeless camping out or otherwise visible for years now.

You ride the "R" train and it seems every other station has some homeless person or persons camped out. They are plugged into power supply that is in all stations (outlets installed for use by workers and others with legit MTA purposes), so can watch television, use tablets, or other devices without draining batteries, and or recharge same.

Got off "Q" at Canal street one evening a few weeks ago, and two homeless guys had gate open holding cups. Getting people to pay fare or something by dropping money into cups while holding that door open.

Other line what has major problems with homeless, deranged, etc... is the A, C, and E; also trains with long routes.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/15/man-pa...lds-up-trains/

Old 06-19-2022, 05:32 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"Q" was good for about year or so after it opened, but it didn't take long before it became infested with animals and homeless. It was bound to happen as "R" and "N" lines have long had same problems.

Broadway local and express trains have very long routes, great for homeless looking to sleep or otherwise ride a train all night or even day.

"Q" stations at 72nd, 86th, 96th both platforms and upstairs have had homeless camping out or otherwise visible for years now.

You ride the "R" train and it seems every other station has some homeless person or persons camped out. They are plugged into power supply that is in all stations (outlets installed for use by workers and others with legit MTA purposes), so can watch television, use tablets, or other devices without draining batteries, and or recharge same.

Got off "Q" at Canal street one evening a few weeks ago, and two homeless guys had gate open holding cups. Getting people to pay fare or something by dropping money into cups while holding that door open.

Other line what has major problems with homeless, deranged, etc... is the A, C, and E; also trains with long routes.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/15/man-pa...lds-up-trains/
Exactly why I haven't used the subway in ages. Seems like I'm not missing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: