Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 05:11 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Now let's compare all of this to how much it actually costs to maintain the infrastructure + pay people to do so, and we'll be getting somewhere...
My man, I've explained to you about half a dozen times now with facts that the NYCTA costs at least 50% more to run than a comparable system.

You take MTA costs at face value as if bloat, corruption, and low productivity do not exist. The MTA is telling you that it costs X to run the system and you just buy it. That's how we got to where we are today.

If you went to a bodega to grab a can of soda and the guy at the counter told you it costs, $10, would your response be "OK, here's $10"? Somehow, I don't think that'd be your response. When it comes to taxpayer money and the MTA, you're willing to freely give away other people's money. "Well of course. The MTA needs all this money because they say so".

NYC politicians have created a great system in NYC. They've created an entire class of voters who like to spend taxpayer money but contribute zero of their own.

Last edited by Esacni; 07-25-2022 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Things aren't looking good.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/25/one-th...ys-post-covid/

However forecasts are just that, anything can happen. That being said city, Albany and MTA need to face the fact, because it is a fact WFH is here to stay. Number of office and some other workers going in five days per week likely will never reach same numbers as 2018.

Throw in effects from online retail and people have less reasons to travel into or about city.

Furthermore if perception holds that city is dirty, and crime infested (regardless of actual truth in numbers), people are going to stay away.

It took Sam the Eagle and Bozo the Clown bit over eight years (and counting) to reverse so many of gains city made since 1970's.
They're going to go to the feds for a bailout. Just watch. They'll try to lock it in before 2024.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:22 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
My man, I've explained to you about half a dozen times now with facts that the NYCTA costs at least 50% more to run than a comparable system.

You take MTA costs at face value as if bloat, corruption, and low productivity do not exist. The MTA is telling you that it costs X to run the system and you just buy it. That's how we got to where we are today.

If you went to a bodega to grab a can of soda and the guy at the counter told you it costs, $10, would your response be "OK, here's $10"? Somehow, I don't think that'd be your response. When it comes to taxpayer money and the MTA, you're willing to freely give away other people's money. "Well of course. The MTA needs all this money because they say so".

NYC politicians have created a great system in NYC. They've created an entire class of voters who like to spend taxpayer money but contribute zero of their own.
Never co-signed the bolded

I just want to see actual numbers

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-25-2022, 05:39 PM

198 posts, read 119,176 times
Quote:
You pay for what you get

Americans like things fast cheap and easy
More like, you pay for what OTHER people are willing to get. I'd happily pay $5, 6, 7 or more for a ride that was super fast, clean and safe. But OTHER people aren't willing to pay that, so I can only get what THEY'RE willing to pay for.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:53 PM

59 posts, read 29,489 times
The MTA needs to be federally investigated for not properly distributing public funds. Also when it comes to Public transportation the United States currently is unfortunately inferior when compared to Asian and European countries. Born & raised in Brooklyn and I don’t drive nor do I have a license. I grew up loving trains & still do but I also blame the democrat and Republican Party both evenly fair for abandoning the subway system especially from the late 60s through the current time we’re in. Liberals & conservatives however won’t admit to their precious democrat and republican parties failing the system & in encouraging funding corruption & distribution corruption within the system. The union also holds its fair share of problems. 2nd Ave subway was supposed to be completed no later than the late 1940s. Would love to see the system broken up & shut down. NYC subway & buses should be it’s own entity.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Never co-signed the bolded

I just want to see actual numbers
There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of papers and articles on this subject just within the last decade.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:07 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,164,508 times
The mta is a moneypit

Old 07-25-2022, 08:13 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
The mta is a moneypit
More like a cesspit you mean....

Another day, another backup on "Q". Cause? What it always is lately, train with "emergency brakes activated". Only this time at Newkirk instead of Church Street.

MTA needs to break up the "Q" like the "R" has "W". Line is too GD long and when something happens way out in Brooklyn everything becomes a mess.

From about 6PM onward headways in either direction were 12 to 15 minutes or longer. Scheduled headway is about 6 minutes during day into early evening. That hasn't happened consistently for some time.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
More like, you pay for what OTHER people are willing to get. I'd happily pay $5, 6, 7 or more for a ride that was super fast, clean and safe. But OTHER people aren't willing to pay that, so I can only get what THEY'RE willing to pay for.
Thats a different way of looking at it

Old 07-25-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of papers and articles on this subject just within the last decade.
I took an example, tried to locate maintenance costs for the Whitestone Bridge, couldnt find anything yet

When I find something I’ll let you know

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City