Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 07:42 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,689,209 times

Advertisements

While I agree the MTA is filled with incompetent folks, I just don't think the US has that cadre of competent people to run a mass transportation system like they do in other countries. Competent people here won't be caught dead working for the MTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 07:49 PM

32,024 posts, read 27,221,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
While I agree the MTA is filled with incompetent folks, I just don't think the US has that cadre of competent people to run a mass transportation system like they do in other countries. Competent people here won't be caught dead working for the MTA.
And who's fault is that?

Cuomo ran Andy Byford out of his job because guy was actually getting things done. Andrew Cuomo like his father besides loving sound of his own voice too much, also likes to be the bride at every wedding or corpse at every funeral.

Talented and competent people don't need nursemaiding, nor do they like being under minded by some grandstanding politician. In private sector if you want to keep a rainmaker you shut your mouth and let him get on with things. Interfere too much and guy will walk, then where you be when those above want to know what happened.

That sex scandal thing was just something progressive liberals in NYS cooked up to get "Il Duce" Cuomo out of office. He was acting a bit too much like an emperor and they feared never getting rid of the guy.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:50 PM

34,192 posts, read 47,492,658 times
This is a car-centric country, why would you guys expect this country to be pioneers of public transportation

That's the question I would like answered

It's really time to stop fooling ourselves here

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2022, 08:13 PM

5,766 posts, read 2,669,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is a car-centric country, why would you guys expect this country to be pioneers of public transportation

That's the question I would like answered

It's really time to stop fooling ourselves here
Actually, no it wasn't a car centric world. And NYC was never supposed to be all about cars. Blame Robert Moses on that.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Actually, no it wasn't a car centric world. And NYC was never supposed to be all about cars. Blame Robert Moses on that.
I said country, not world

And that actually proves my point, thanks for bringing him up

Old 07-21-2022, 08:32 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,359,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
What a corrupt money pit. The MTA received $15 billion over the past 2 years in Federal aid. The MTAs annual operating budget is around $17 billion. The MTA essentially received a 50% subsidy over the past 2 years yet now they still need more money.

The MTA is nothing but a very low productivity jobs program where billions in taxpayer money go into the pockets of MTA labor and management. Fire half of them. Let them go and flip burgers at McDonalds.the service would be the same.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/21/mta-ne...idership-drop/
I agree 100%. The workers do nothing but moan about how they didn't get enough of a raise and need another one because of inflation. Well guess what? Many New Yorkers haven't received a raise at all during all of this inflation and they are making due. I'm sick of the entitlement on the taxpayers' dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You pay for what you get

Americans like things fast cheap and easy
There is nothing fast, cheap nor easy about the MTA. They spent $30 million on a stairway recently and wonder why they are broke.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-21-2022 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I agree 100%. The workers do nothing but moan about who they didn't get enough of a raise and need another one because of inflation. Well guess what? Many New Yorkers haven't received a raise at all during all of this inflation and they are making due. I'm sick of entitlement on the taxpayers' dime.

There is nothing fast, cheap nor easy about the MTA. They spent $30 million on a stairway recently and wonder why they are broke.
MTA spent more than that building SAS, and every other week on average at each UES station at least one escalator is broken.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:42 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,359,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
MTA spent more than that building SAS, and every other week on average at each UES station at least one escalator is broken.
What was amazing was seeing them sing and dance about how they made the entrance accessible when the elevator that was created during that project had nothing to do with that $30 million and had nothing to do with the MTA. It was provided and paid for by a private entity, but they held a press conference giving this BS about accessibility. Someone got a nice kickback. The entrance already existed, so to have it widened, have some electric put in a few other things that weren't really structural in nature seems egregious to say the least.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. The workers do nothing but moan about how they didn't get enough of a raise and need another one because of inflation. Well guess what? Many New Yorkers haven't received a raise at all during all of this inflation and they are making due. I'm sick of the entitlement on the taxpayers' dime.

Can you provide an example of a subway system that covers the same size area for the same price and provides better service? I'm not saying the MTA is great, but show me who's doing it right...otherwise its just empty talk

Old 07-21-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
What was amazing was seeing them sing and dance about how they made the entrance accessible when the elevator that was created during that project had nothing to do with that $30 million and had nothing to do with the MTA. It was provided and paid for by a private entity, but they held a press conference giving this BS about accessibility. Someone got a nice kickback. The entrance already existed, so to have it widened, have some electric put in a few other things that weren't really structural in nature seems egregious to say the least.
I dunno what the eff is going on, but it is amazing that N, Q,R and W ran like clockwork during pandemic, but when things opened up it turned to s**t.

Every other GD day there are delays on that line due to every and anything. Most common is something causing a train or trains to go into emergency. Next is "train with malfunctioning door" needs to be removed from station. Oh and the ever present "signal" problems. Latest seems to be branches or other bits falling off trees have blocked tracks. So service stops until things are cleared.

You look at MTA's Tweets and it's same GD problems every day. Yet they wonder why people don't want to leave comfort of working from home. I only have to go in once or twice a week, and on average at least one trip per week has issues.

https://twitter.com/nyctsubway

Subway Dashboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City