Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 08:27 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Are those track miles or route miles? Do those figures include train yard miles too?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 11:04 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
MTA's been hurting for cash since Dr. Zizmor retired and doesn't need to advertise anymore.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2484218
I just can't with you today!

Old 07-23-2022, 05:33 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
they are raping tax payers across all of NYS and now all of America.

The worst run agency in the entire country.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:41 AM

N,Q,R,W messed up again last night.

Signal problems on local line. Someone hit by a "Q" train near Church street... Both express and local had delays for hours.

Got far as 57th and 7th on W, but when saw next "Q" wasn't due to arrive for 20 minutes (yes, that is what MTA Time said), we just decided to leave station and take taxi back to UES.

On way out of subway station saw something had never seen previously. A huge rat coming down two flights of stairs to make it's way towards a drain grate.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:39 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
N,Q,R,W messed up again last night.

Signal problems on local line. Someone hit by a "Q" train near Church street... Both express and local had delays for hours.

Got far as 57th and 7th on W, but when saw next "Q" wasn't due to arrive for 20 minutes (yes, that is what MTA Time said), we just decided to leave station and take taxi back to UES.

On way out of subway station saw something had never seen previously. A huge rat coming down two flights of stairs to make it's way towards a drain grate.
Ha! I keep hearing that the City (especially Manhattan) is overrun with rats. Another reason to avoid the subway.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ha! I keep hearing that the City (especially Manhattan) is overrun with rats. Another reason to avoid the subway.
Really only bother with subway during weekdays when traffic makes any sort of travel by motor vehicle a bother. That and or if "Q" and transferring to another Broadway train will get me where need to be or close enough to walk.

Really use the eff out of the "Q" since it opened, but thing has just gone to shyt over years. To get down to Tribeca or SoHo from UES it's a no brainer.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Really only bother with subway during weekdays when traffic makes any sort of travel by motor vehicle a bother. That and or if "Q" and transferring to another Broadway train will get me where need to be or close enough to walk.

Really use the eff out of the "Q" since it opened, but thing has just gone to shyt over years. To get down to Tribeca or SoHo from UES it's a no brainer.
If you have a garage, it's easier to just drive. If I lived somewhere where I had to take the subway into Manhattan, I would surely drive all the time. You live in one of the few parts of Manhattan that I could tolerate living in that feels like a neighborhood, but I would have to do a mix of Uber and driving to get to and from.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:39 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are those track miles or route miles? Do those figures include train yard miles too?
Notwithstanding the ignorance of your question, the point isn't to compare track length inch for inch. It's to compare two very similar systems by complexity and service length.

Secondly, why would French trains require significantly less yard miles unless the NYCTA has too many yard miles due to inefficiency of the system?

Old 07-23-2022, 10:13 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Notwithstanding the ignorance of your question, the point isn't to compare track length inch for inch. It's to compare two very similar systems by complexity and service length.

Secondly, why would French trains require significantly less yard miles unless the NYCTA has too many yard miles due to inefficiency of the system?
Doesnt matter at this point. Point is, you think the MTA’s robbing you, stop using their services then. Very simple.

Why keep complaining and still use the services. No one is being forced.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Doesnt matter at this point. Point is, you think the MTA’s robbing you, stop using their services then. Very simple.

Why keep complaining and still use the services. No one is being forced.
Because some people don't have a choice, or they do, but sitting in traffic sucks just as bad as taking the subway? You think if parking was easier and congestion wasn't such as issue that more people wouldn't drive? Let's be real here. Even if everyone wanted to drive, the congestion would be unbearable. Now that people can work from home, many people are indeed driving. I have not taken the subway in months and have plans on doing so in the future.

Quote:
Champagne taste, beer pockets

You and many others want London service for $2.75
What a ridiculous statement. If I never took the subway again, part of my taxes would still go to the MTA, including any time I hop in an Uber and any time I pay tolls. As such, we all have a right to critique how they are spending (or rather wasting) taxpayer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City