Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 08:27 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
It will never be like Williamsburg. They have been building like crazy in Jamaica Queens, especially Jamaica Center and guess what??? It is nothing like Williamsburg, way too far. East New York like Williamsburg?? Never !
And Williamsburg at its worse was Disneyland compared to East NY. I know plenty of people in East NY, there is nothing attractive and desirable. It's an unsafe commuter town with some of the worst gang activity, shootings, stabbings, muggings in the whole city.
And people living in East NY wanna tell me how terrible it is that I live in the Bronx....
No one is claiming it'll be like Williamsburg. On the other hand, many also forget /don't realize that it too Williamsburg over 30 years to get to where it's at today. Williamsburg started to gentrify in the early 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 10:05 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,403,529 times
An influx of People started moving to Williamsburg in the 90s. Rent was still cheap there. Prices didn’t start inflating until the 2000s. That’s when locals started being displaced - that is when gentrification starts.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 1,223,922 times
A lot of rappers will be upset about this.

Claiming to be from East New York used to lend a certain amount of "street cred" for them.

If ENY gets gentrified they can't use it as a bragging point any more.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:30 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
An influx of People started moving to Williamsburg in the 90s. Rent was still cheap there. Prices didn’t start inflating until the 2000s. That’s when locals started being displaced - that is when gentrification starts.
When gentrification is OBVIOUS that means it started some years before.

Rising prices means gentrification is already well underway. It's simply a market signal that there is ALREADY a substantial enough market imbalance.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:07 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,403,529 times
Yes prices didn't start to rise until the 2000s. The very definition of gentrification is when locals start being displaced. Prices raised in 2000 displacing people up until 2012 that’s when it was “fully” gentrified.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:37 PM

14,056 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
A lot of rappers will be upset about this.

Claiming to be from East New York used to lend a certain amount of "street cred" for them.

If ENY gets gentrified they can't use it as a bragging point any more.
It already started by 2030 it will be on 2008-2010 Williamsburg in term of development there will pockets of gentrification but still in hood in some spots.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:41 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Yep--exactly. I was part of those people moving to Williamsburg in the early 2000's--I moved into a loft on Broadway and Wythe, looking at the Wburg Bridge in early 2001. Know what my rent for a private bedroom in the loft was--just $650/month. Then, my buddy and I moved about 6 mos later to a 2 bed loft on kent and north 8th (early 2002), and paid just $1600/month--and that raised to $1800 in early 2003.

I left that loft location in 2005, and my buddy lived there until moving out, in 2010. When he moved out, he paid just $2000, and then the landlord increased it to $4800, when he left. Today, it's probably going for at least 6 grand--it had a sweeping view of Manhattan from the living room.

Anyway, Williamsburg has the incredible amenity of being adjacent to Manhattan, and a 4 minute train ride away. That's what led to its explosive, rapid gentrification, from a no man's drug and prostitute land in the 90s/early 2000s, up to essentially the "Soho of Brooklyn" today (at least with its popularity, branding and housing prices).

East NY has several things going against it to have anything remotely close to Wburg's gentrification. First off is location so far from everything, and secondly, the low income of the area, and third, crime is higher than many other areas.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:01 PM

870 posts, read 414,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
No one is claiming it'll be like Williamsburg. On the other hand, many also forget /don't realize that it too Williamsburg over 30 years to get to where it's at today. Williamsburg started to gentrify in the early 1990s.
Yes but Williamsburg is across the River from Manhattan…. east New York is in the middle of nowhere.
And yes the resident in the article says it’s gonna be like Williamsburg

Old 08-28-2022, 02:16 PM

207 posts, read 99,135 times
signs of gentrification is everywhere i went on a bike ride to sunset park yesterday and there was farmers market outside the park and some of these trendy coffee shops across the street. even on 8th avenue on 41st they have this trendy looking cafe next to some ghetto looking chinese take out it looks very out of place.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:18 PM

1,059 posts, read 549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
signs of gentrification is everywhere i went on a bike ride to sunset park yesterday and there was farmers market outside the park and some of these trendy coffee shops across the street. even on 8th avenue on 41st they have this trendy looking cafe next to some ghetto looking chinese take out it looks very out of place.
There has been a farmers market on 4th Avenue between 59th and 60th for years. It started in Leif Ericson park but apparently wasn't getting enough foot traffic there. (Too bad, it was a nicer, cooler spot for the vendors.) Anyone know how long this market by Sunset Park has been there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City