Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 05:21 AM

61 posts, read 38,560 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'll be moving to NYC shortly. My workplace will be in the Bronx at Montefiore. I'm trying to figure out and plan ahead potential housing options. My employer offers subsidized housing across from the hospital for about 1000/month, but I'm not interested in that or living there at this time (poor(er) area, lack of basic amenities)

How good/reliable is the 4 train for commuting? Looks like the simplest commute would be from the UES via the four train. What do the train stations look like? Are they nice? I'd like to keep my commute under 30 mins . I believe it would be a reverse commute so it shouldn't be bad.

How likely can I get some quality housing on a budget of 2500 a month? I would try to get a guaranteeor to get a round the 40x. I'm mainly looking for a studio, renovated perhaps dishwasher and if possible, elevator building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 05:27 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
There are 11 apartments that fit your criteria.
Take a look
https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/ues/...ities:elevator

Street easy is a good resource do find a rental.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:40 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Hi!

I'll be moving to NYC shortly. My workplace will be in the Bronx at Montefiore. I'm trying to figure out and plan ahead potential housing options. My employer offers subsidized housing across from the hospital for about 1000/month, but I'm not interested in that or living there at this time (poor(er) area, lack of basic amenities)

How good/reliable is the 4 train for commuting? Looks like the simplest commute would be from the UES via the four train. What do the train stations look like? Are they nice? I'd like to keep my commute under 30 mins . I believe it would be a reverse commute so it shouldn't be bad.

How likely can I get some quality housing on a budget of 2500 a month? I would try to get a guaranteeor to get a round the 40x. I'm mainly looking for a studio, renovated perhaps dishwasher and if possible, elevator building.
You would need $100k for an apartment that is $2500 a month. What if you can't find someone? You should really get something within your budget. With your salary, you should be spending $1875 max on rent. I know many people that live on the Upper East Side and commute to Montefiore. Some of them commute to the Albeet Einstein campus in Morris Park, mostly by the BxM10 express bus. It sounds like you will be working by the location in Norwood. I personally would not want to take the subway through that part of The Bronx. The area isn't the greatest, but personally, I would ask if they have housing you can take in Riverdale. I'm pretty sure Montefiore has housing there. I would also inquire about Morris Park. Both of those neighborhoods are safe and have decent amenities, are in your price range and offer a close commute, particularly by car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
There are 11 apartments that fit your criteria.
Take a look
https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/ues/...ities:elevator

Street easy is a good resource do find a rental.
Yeah that's assuming that the OP is accepted making less than 40x the rent. Not a smart move.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:47 AM

Also if you are using a guarantor, they often have to live around nyc and they need to make minimum of 80xs rent - 200k.
The 40x rent is standard along w good credit score.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:53 AM

61 posts, read 38,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You would need $100k for an apartment that is $2500 a month. What if you can't find someone? You should really get something within your budget. With your salary, you should be spending $1875 max on rent. I know many people that live on the Upper East Side and commute to Montefiore. Some of them commute to the Albeet Einstein campus in Morris Park, mostly by the BxM10 express bus. It sounds like you will be working by the location in Norwood. I personally would not want to take the subway through that part of The Bronx. The area isn't the greatest, but personally, I would ask if they have housing you can take in Riverdale. I'm pretty sure Montefiore has housing there. I would also inquire about Morris Park. Both of those neighborhoods are safe and have decent amenities, are in your price range and offer a close commute, particularly by car.

Yeah that's assuming that the OP is accepted making less than 40x the rent. Not a smart move.
There's guaranteeor services. I also have great credit. I'm okay spending more on rent as I can get rid of my car. I prefer public transport. Why wouldn't you want to take the four train through the bronx?

There is housing in Riverdale but it is not in walking distance so you have to drive anyway or take public transport. Would rather do that and live in Manhattan. Riverdale is too suburby for my taste.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Yes,
A SMART person can live pretty well on $75K.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
There's guaranteeor services. I also have great credit. I'm okay spending more on rent as I can get rid of my car. I prefer public transport. Why wouldn't you want to take the four train through the bronx?

There is housing in Riverdale but it is not in walking distance so you have to drive anyway or take public transport. Would rather do that and live in Manhattan. Riverdale is too suburby for my taste.
Hello?!! You don't want to live in a poor area of The Bronx, but think taking the subway through the South Bronx, which is similar to the area you will work in will be dreamy? LOL You will be passing through some of the worst areas of the borough every day. Driving from Riverdale is maybe a 10-15 minute drive. Unfortunately, the decent areas of The Bronx tend to be more suburban in feel. That's also true of Morris Park. Has a small town feel and you definitely don't want to live in say East Harlem, which would have similar quality of life issues you are concerned about in Norwood. There is an express bus you can take from the Upper East Side. I think it's the BxM4, which puts you steps from Montefiore, but I don't know if it runs during the times you would need it. Lots of people that work at the Albert Einstein campus do that. They commute from the Upper East Side and take the express bus. Safe and quick.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Hello?!! You don't want to live in a poor area of The Bronx, but think taking the subway through the South Bronx, which is similar to the area you will work in will be dreamy? LOL You will be passing through some of the worst areas of the borough every day. Driving from Riverdale is maybe a 10-15 minute drive. Unfortunately, the decent areas of The Bronx tend to be more suburban in feel. That's also true of Morris Park. Has a small town feel and you definitely don't want to live in say East Harlem, which would have similar quality of life issues you are concerned about in Norwood. There is an express bus you can take from the Upper East Side. I think it's the BxM4, which puts you steps from Montefiore, but I don't know if it runs during the times you would need it. Lots of people that work at the Albert Einstein campus do that. They commute from the Upper East Side and take the express bus. Safe and quick.
Aren’t there express buses from Washington heights?
That’s a less expensive neighborhood. The nicer sections are west of broadway and also around The hospital and Columbia graduate schools. And what about further uptown near fort Tryon?

Old 09-04-2022, 10:14 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes,
A SMART person can live pretty well on $75K.
100% agree.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Aren’t there express buses from Washington heights?
That’s a less expensive neighborhood. The nicer sections are west of broadway and also around The hospital and Columbia graduate schools. And what about further uptown near fort Tryon?
You mean Inwood? There is one, but I wouldn't live there, even west of Broadway. Too noisy. I do know quite a few people that live in Hudson Heights, but they drive. One is on Fort Washington Av a few minutes walking from Fort Tyron Park. They have a co-op. Really nice. Sunken living room. Gut renovated. The other couple lives over on Cabrini. They had a car, but gave it up. Lovely area and quiet, but unless you have a parking spot in a garage, parking can be tough. Actually wouldn't be a bad commute for the OP, but they don't want to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City