Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 06:27 AM

1,060 posts, read 543,047 times

Advertisements

The Riverdale option seems like a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 03:00 PM

8,347 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Can you explain why this is advertised from their website? Different residency but same hospital. Is this just clever marketing.

https://einsteinmed.edu/departments/...icine/housing/

The majority of residents at Montefiore are split between the Bronx in Montefiore Medical Center–owned housing or surrounding neighborhoods and the Upper East Side. However, residents travel to work from all over, including many neighborhoods within Manhattan, Queens and New Jersey
Maybe not all departments in the hospital offer to the residents an option of housing in both sites (ie, both near Montefiore and in Riverdale). Check directly with the hospital housing office. If you are a resident (as it seems you are), the plan to live in the UES is very foolish imho. I'd recommend that you take the housing near Montefiore for the first year (you are right, Riverdale is just an affluent suburb which you can find almost anywhere in the nation, for which it is not worth it to bother with a shuttle), and stay at a hotel in Manhattan on a free weekend as I recommended. After the first year, you can re-evaluate; you can always easily switch from hospital housing to a private rental in Manhattan, but maybe not so easily the opposite way. You don't know how busy you will be (yeah right, 9 to 5 guaranteed ), and you don't know whether you'll end up actually liking the hosp housing arrangement (for far lower price and incomparably lesser hassle). Manhattan is incredibly dazzling when you visit it, but if commuting to/from it for a total or 1.5-2 hours daily (with the residency torture in between commutes), it will feel VERY different.

Yes, the subway connection with the Bronx is always miserable, and since the onset of the epidemic also considerably dangerous. An express bus is a safe and comfortable option, but express buses do not run very frequently, and unacceptably often the bus simply does not show up at the scheduled time (eg, a 6 o'clock bus does not show up, and there isn't another one until 7 o'clock - that is not rare) . In summary, the subway is depressing and potentially dangerous, while the express bus is not reliable enough for a resident. Just stick with walking across the street from the hospital housing to the hospital & consider yourself very lucky.

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-05-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 04:24 PM

61 posts, read 38,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Maybe not all departments in the hospital offer to the residents an option of housing in both sites (ie, both near Montefiore and in Riverdale). Check directly with the hospital housing office. If you are a resident (as it seems you are), the plan to live in the UES is very foolish imho. I'd recommend that you take the housing near Montefiore for the first year (you are right, Riverdale is just an affluent suburb which you can find almost anywhere in the nation, for which it is not worth it to bother with a shuttle), and stay at a hotel in Manhattan on a free weekend as I recommended. After the first year, you can re-evaluate; you can always easily switch from hospital housing to a private rental in Manhattan, but maybe not so easily the opposite way. You don't know how busy you will be (yeah right, 9 to 5 guaranteed ), and you don't know whether you'll end up actually liking the hosp housing arrangement (for far lower price and incomparably lesser hassle). Manhattan is incredibly dazzling when you visit it, but if commuting to/from it for a total or 1.5-2 hours daily (with the residency torture in between commutes), it will feel VERY different.

Yes, the subway connection with the Bronx is always miserable, and since the onset of the epidemic also considerably dangerous. An express bus is a safe and comfortable option, but express buses do not run very frequently, and unacceptably often the bus simply does not show up at the scheduled time (eg, a 6 o'clock bus does not show up, and there isn't another one until 7 o'clock - that is not rare) . In summary, the subway is depressing and potentially dangerous, while the express bus is not reliable enough for a resident. Just stick with walking across the street from the hospital housing to the hospital & consider yourself very lucky.
Thanks for all the detailed information. It just seems depressing to live my late 20s in the Bronx, but I get why it makes economic sense.

I

Old 09-05-2022, 04:37 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the detailed information. It just seems depressing to live my late 20s in the Bronx, but I get why it makes economic sense.

I
The above poster doesn't live full time in NYC. They are retired. When they are in NYC they live in Parkchester and only take the express bus. Take that info with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't mess with buses. Take the 4 train if you plan to live on the UES. Even if you live a 20 minute walk to catch the subway on the UES, your trip will take an hour.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:04 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes,
A SMART person can live pretty well on $75K.
I'd agree. But "smart" in this case likely also means frugal on many things. That may not be a problem for some, but I'm at the point in my life where I want my money to go a long way while enjoying all that an area has to offer and still saving and building for the future. I also don't want roommates. Because this near certainly means living in a safe(r), more expensive neighborhood in NYC, I'd think long and hard if I was the OP before considering rejecting the subsidized housing in Norwood.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:57 PM

61 posts, read 38,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
The above poster doesn't live full time in NYC. They are retired. When they are in NYC they live in Parkchester and only take the express bus. Take that info with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't mess with buses. Take the 4 train if you plan to live on the UES. Even if you live a 20 minute walk to catch the subway on the UES, your trip will take an hour.
So you don't think the subway/train is unsafe?

Old 09-05-2022, 06:54 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
IIRC this poster has complained about subway safety and lives in a bad area of The Bronx, so I am not sure how she is claiming now that there is nothing wrong with the subway. You are not poor, so why would you subject yourself to a crappy, depressing commute into the worst areas of The Bronx? Riverdale is suburban yes, but it is very safe and it is actually highly regarded. One of the few upper class areas of The Bronx with very very low crime. In fact because it is so hilly, it is pretty much isolated from the rest of The Bronx. You should pay it a visit before writing it off. Norwood I understand, as the amenities suck. The properties that Montefiore owns around there are ok, but I would not live there.

I guess what I am curious about is are you planning on staying here long-term? If you so, wouldn't you prefer to save money and be able to BUY something eventually rather than spending a large chunk of your money in rent?

Old 09-05-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I
I can't quite figure you out - is your residency in psych? When you went into medicine, you agreed to throw away your 20s, and you know that. There isn't much other life during residency, no matter where you are. Living next to the hospital is not just economically the best option, but you will be totally drained by residency + commute. You will have the best possible and least depressing quality of life during residency if you live next to the hospital, no matter where the hospital is. Manhattan is close enough that you can spend every free weekend there, and I don't think you would get a better Manhattan experience by sleeping in Manhattan, commuting 1.5-2 hours total each day, and doing residency in the Bronx - if anything, your experience of Manhattan would be substantially worse than if you went over only on some of the weekends.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Once upon a time, "they" have been a resident themselves, though

Old 09-05-2022, 08:08 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
My friend works at that location and lives on the UES and drives there.

What hours are you working? I'm someone who takes the train at any time but it's not for everyone. The area you are working isn't great and being on the train non rush hours thru the Bronx is not great.

I get not wanting to live in the area. I wouldn't want too either.
Quote:
Please see what I said above

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
IIRC this poster has complained about subway safety and lives in a bad area of The Bronx, so I am not sure how she is claiming now that there is nothing wrong with the subway. You are not poor, so why would you subject yourself to a crappy, depressing commute into the worst areas of The Bronx? Riverdale is suburban yes, but it is very safe and it is actually highly regarded. One of the few upper class areas of The Bronx with very very low crime. In fact because it is so hilly, it is pretty much isolated from the rest of The Bronx. You should pay it a visit before writing it off. Norwood I understand, as the amenities suck. The properties that Montefiore owns around there are ok, but I would not live there.

I guess what I am curious about is are you planning on staying here long-term? If you so, wouldn't you prefer to save money and be able to BUY something eventually rather than spending a large chunk of your money in rent?
I never said that the subway was safe. please see what I replied earlier in this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City