Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2022, 07:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Wow! Thank you for your response! You might be the very first person to be adamantly against the gun hill location. Is the location really that horrendous in your view? (I know others have commented). A lot of people have made the argument that the train commutes are very unsafe compared to living right across to the hospital

Not a super important question, but do you find that the train stations have a lot of amenities? Like places to eat and shop.
Why don't you just fly up for the day. Don't even need to stay in a hotel. Early flight in, late flight out.
6 hours here, take a look at a few apartments in your price range, take the train, see the hospital and the hospital housing for yourself.
Everyone has a different tolerance and a different level of acceptability.
You question about train station amenities is just ridiculous. Come and see why yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 07:51 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Wow! Thank you for your response! You might be the very first person to be adamantly against the gun hill location. Is the location really that horrendous in your view? (I know others have commented). A lot of people have made the argument that the train commutes are very unsafe compared to living right across to the hospital

Not a super important question, but do you find that the train stations have a lot of amenities? Like places to eat and shop.
Train stations? You are confusing things. These are subways. Some of them have places to grab something to eat and few other spots. That varies though. I mean if you look at 86th St, it has a lot of commercial options. Places to eat, grocery shop, clothes shopping, etc. Not the case with every subway station. The major ones usually will have decent options.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:16 AM

61 posts, read 38,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Why don't you just fly up for the day. Don't even need to stay in a hotel. Early flight in, late flight out.
6 hours here, take a look at a few apartments in your price range, take the train, see the hospital and the hospital housing for yourself.
Everyone has a different tolerance and a different level of acceptability.
You question about train station amenities is just ridiculous. Come and see why yourself.
I did visit prior but didn't get a chance to see the hospital or the subway. One of my friends told me to not venture down there, super silly decision in hindsight. Right now I'm in a pretty inaccessible location to an airport, hence the silly questions

Old 09-10-2022, 09:29 AM

93 posts, read 41,618 times
Quote:
It's not that the location is that horrendous or really dangerous, it's that you just wouldn't want to live there unless you really needed to (like if you were working 80+ hour weeks). There are no real bars or restaurants (or shopping, coffee shops, etc.) in that area that you'd ever really go to. The building in Riverdale/Kingsbridge is a much better option if you do choose the Bronx hospital housing.

In terms of general safety, the subway commute from Manhattan really is fine, especially if you're a guy. New York (the Bronx even) is not St. Louis or the South Side of Chicago. That said, you absolutely will occasionally have to deal with aggressive, erratic homeless. From time to time you might have to deal with scumbag teenagers. You might get singled out and confronted for some reason (your race, sexual orientation, overall weak demeanor, etc.), you might get mugged (but probably not). But honestly, you'll survive, especially since you'd be taking the train during typical rush hour times. The subway is CERTAINLY not so dangerous that you should choose to live right next to the hospital.

Quote:
No, the train stations will not have much in the way of "amenities" LOL. What shopping are you planning to do in a train station? Are you at all familiar with New York's subway system?

Old 09-10-2022, 10:53 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Quote:
I did visit prior but didn't get a chance to see the hospital or the subway. One of my friends told me to not venture down there, super silly decision in hindsight. Right now I'm in a pretty inaccessible location to an airport, hence the silly questions
Did you consult your friend. We don’t know you and they would have insight in to your values and preferences.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Did you consult your friend. We don’t know you and they would have insight in to your values and preferences.
I did but then haven't lived there since the 1980s and 1990s. Don't know why I just took what they said at word when I visited. Hence why I posted on here

Old 09-11-2022, 12:20 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,196 times
Quote:
I did but then haven't lived there since the 1980s and 1990s. Don't know why I just took what they said at word when I visited. Hence why I posted on here
Obviously you can and will do what suits you best but if your employer is offering (halfway decent) subsidized housing nearby, you should strongly consider it

Yes, the area isn't the greatest but commutes eat away at people's lives in this city. The MTA is a compulsive thief of its customers time.

I'd at least try it for 6 months to a year. If you really hate it, you can always move and the added benefit will be that the rental market most likely will have cooled down from it's current high and you'll have a better feel of what you do and don't like.

"Lack of basic" amenities doesn't mean much in NYC if you have money to paper over that problem. With the money you save on rent, you can use that money at your discretion to find adequate solutions.

You can use part of the money to keep your car and rent a parking spot. Once parking isn't an issue, a car is a game changer in NYC.
Don't listen to any of the fools who claim you don't need a car in NYC.
Nobody needs sex either but remember life before and after. Similar to having a car in NYC when parking isn't an issue.

Last edited by Esacni; 09-11-2022 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-11-2022, 04:07 AM

93 posts, read 41,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Obviously you can and will do what suits you best but if your employer is offering (halfway decent) subsidized housing nearby, you should strongly consider it

Yes, the area isn't the greatest but commutes eat away at people's lives in this city. The MTA is a compulsive thief of its customers time.

I'd at least try it for 6 months to a year. If you really hate it, you can always move and the added benefit will be that the rental market most likely will have cooled down from it's current high and you'll have a better feel of what you do and don't like.

"Lack of basic" amenities doesn't mean much in NYC if you have money to paper over that problem. With the money you save on rent, you can use that money at your discretion to find adequate solutions.

You can use part of the money to keep your car and rent a parking spot. Once parking isn't an issue, a car is a game changer in NYC.
Don't listen to any of the fools who claim you don't need a car in NYC.
Nobody needs sex either but remember life before and after. Similar to having a car in NYC when parking isn't an issue.
He should definitely consider a car if he opts for the hospital housing in the Bronx, especially if he's able to get a good parking spot.

It wouldn't make sense for him in Manhattan though, at least not for the first year or so.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:20 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times
Quote:

No. Not even a gum machine on a pillar.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
He should definitely consider a car if he opts for the hospital housing in the Bronx, especially if he's able to get a good parking spot.

It wouldn't make sense for him in Manhattan though, at least not for the first year or so.
The subsidized housing does have parking ramp attached to the building for 60/month I believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City