Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:59 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times

Advertisements

All I know is that it has nothing to do with the rise in crime, nothing at all.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:25 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Why do you think BK is the hottest borough over the past decade? Bed-Stuy Do or Die is now Bed-Stuy Do or Dive Bar for Caleb and Chloe.
Thanks to Social Media, YouTube, movies, video games, pop culture in late 2000s, tourist Brooklyn got more popular than ever. Queens been getting a lot love lately I see they mentioning Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Astoria more often.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
There is a awkward corner in my LI neighborhood a 90 degrees half dead end there is 4 homes. All sold in a 7 month period. Every buyer white and from queens. All said same thing taxes in NYC are high now. They sold got a bigger house with 3x as much land all on 150x100 lots and the taxes here are about the same as the queens house and no more city tax. 3 mentioned the schools other has no kids. Why pay 1m for a 1200 sq ft cape that needs work on 40x100 in bayside when you can get a 2k sq ft home on 1/3 acre for 900k that needs no work.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
If you are middle class and conservative (which many of the two income, kids, white residents of queens are) Queens does not give bang for your buck anymore.

Also the traditionally 'good neighborhoods' have seen an influx of mediocre students in their schools. The schools are not as challenging or offer quality education like they used to.

The city has also started putting homeless shelters in the once safe neighborhoods. With a drastic decline in the quality of life and an ever increasing tax burden it makes sense to go where one is appreciated and you get value for your money.

A household with income north of $100K has the burden of city taxes just to exists.

A teacher/nurse/accountant who is married to a police/fireman/sanitation worker household can easily clear over $180K.
Why would they stay in Queens with mediocre services and declining quality of life?

Old 09-11-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Not just Brooklyn losing black residents Queens as well I see more Hispanics and Indians in Jamaica area it wasn't that much in 2010. Brooklyn is not surprising residents are getting push out due to high cost Downtown Brooklyn look like extension of Manhattan.

The asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis) are buying everything in Jamaica to be near each other. And paying top dollar too. Sometimes even cash. Many are business owners or employed in good career. It will be interesting to see how the area is transformed in the next 5 to 10 years.

They are conservative in their values, family oriented and value education. It will be interesting to see how they increase in this voting block affects the areas.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
There is a awkward corner in my LI neighborhood a 90 degrees half dead end there is 4 homes. All sold in a 7 month period. Every buyer white and from queens. All said same thing taxes in NYC are high now. They sold got a bigger house with 3x as much land all on 150x100 lots and the taxes here are about the same as the queens house and no more city tax. 3 mentioned the schools other has no kids. Why pay 1m for a 1200 sq ft cape that needs work on 40x100 in bayside when you can get a 2k sq ft home on 1/3 acre for 900k that needs no work.
I did not see this post before I posted.

I know many blacks and whites. Upper middle class income. They all fled for the same reason! The normal areas of the city will be left to the wokes and welfare class. The rich will always exist in their little bubble.

We never thought we would ever consider moving from NYC. See my screen name. But It makes NO sense from a value, safety and quality of life standpoint.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:43 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Friend of mine I grew up with and his wife lived in Howard Beach for a bit. I think the wife grew up there, but my friend grew up elsewhere. When they wanted to buy, there was no way they could afford a house there with the prices, plus they had a kid. Out to Long Island they moved. They still visit Howard Beach to see the wife's parents and visit Bruno's.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:56 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The Whites leaving are either moving out of State or moving out to places like Long Island. Areas like Whitestone are historically ethnically white (Italians, Greeks, Irish, etc.). Italians are not being replaced and some are moving out. Greeks are still coming in, but not at the same clip and the Irish, most of the ones off of the boat couldn't afford such areas of Queens, so they go to Woodlawn in The Bronx.

Queens has become quite expensive for what it is, including areas like Forest Hills, so Whites are simply moving and getting more bang for the buck. The transplant Whites want to be close to Manhattan so Long Island City, Astoria and other such neighborhoods have become expensive and in demand.

For what it's worth, The Bronx has lost a sizable amount of Whites as well and only has about 10% of the White population left in the borough, mainly concentrated in the safe neighborhoods such as Riverdale, Country Club, Woodlawn, Morris Park, City Island, parts of the greater Throggs Neck area (Edgewater Park, Silver Beach, etc.), Pelham Gardens, Pelham Bay and Pelham Parkway. Most of these neighborhoods are low density and offer a more middle class lifestyle that would attract White residents - these areas tend to see more homeowners and thus offer more stability.

I was in Whitestone at a CB meeting not too long ago, and I can tell you that there were plenty of Whites there. In fact the entire room was White, but the neighborhood overall is less White than it was years ago - Asians have steadily been moving in.

Forest Hills still has plenty of Whites, particularly Jews, but there are more Eastern Europeans coming in. My barber lives in Forest Hills and is from Uzbekistan.
Such a moronic, ignorant racist statement. Are you living in 1965? First of all, there are next to NO IRISH IMMIGRATING to the US to begin with. So it's not about affordability that there aren't more of them in Queens. As if Woodlawn rents are cheaper anyways? You can count the number of Irish coming into JFK on a yearly basis on one hand.

But let's stick with your idiotic assertion...that Queens is too "expensive" for the off the boat Irish. Lol. But it's affordable for the tens and tens of thousands off the boat Chinese flooding Flushing and the hundreds of thousands of illegal Hispanics lining up in Corona on a food line 5 blocks long?

Btw, you know NOTHING about Whitestone.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:08 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siula View Post
Unlike Manhattan and Brooklyn, Queens is still experiencing White flight.
From 2010 to 2020, Queens lost almost 70k white residents, more than the losses of the Bronx and Staten Island combined. Whites went from being the largest racial group at 27.6% of the population to third at just 22.8%. Forrest Hills in particular saw one of the biggest drops in its white population in the entire city. Why is Queens not only losing white residents but also failing to attract new ones? I don’t get it. Queens is not even that bad to be losing more whites than even the Bronx.
I'm actually very surprised by this figure. I thought it would have been much lower. Upscale Manhattan whites have been moving to LIC in droves for the amazing more affordable views. Same goes for North Bk. And then all the transient liberal scuzzy midwest whites that seem to have a never ending stream into hipster Bk and now parts Upper Manhattan and even the dirty Bronx. I figured at worst it would be a net even.

But yea, definitely the traditional christian/jewish/greek white families that were once found all over Queens are long gone and pretty much just the old timers are left, sadly waiting to pass. Walk around the streets of a place like Maspeth and you'll still find old school...and I mean OLD...whites that have lived there for 75 years. But all the kids left.

Queens historically had huge home ownership, which means families that can afford it. Almost every home that is sold in Queens that can be knocked down...is being knocked down and turned into rentals. So I would expect the trend to continue but also include 2nd/3rd gen Hispanics that are college educated and also want to have a single family home.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:34 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
You move to get kids into smaller better schools. Think of what will happen to all those NYC school overcrowded with illegals in NYC starting this September and going forward.
Better homes and neighbors is also a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City