Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 08:49 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,221,736 times

Advertisements

I hope they at least paid the fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 01:44 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
As a kid I was dared into " Skitching " grabbing onto the rear of a bus bumper after a blizzard .

Fun until I fell and almost got run over by a car following behind. End of story. Lesson learned.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:58 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Nobody should be promoting viewing these type of videos!

Old 09-20-2022, 06:19 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
As a kid I was dared into " Skitching " grabbing onto the rear of a bus bumper after a blizzard .

Fun until I fell and almost got run over by a car following behind. End of story. Lesson learned.

I grew up in Kensington, Brooklyn a few blocks from the decrepit LIRR Bay Ridge freight line. Kids used to 'hitch' rides on the moving freight trains, jumping on near McDonald Avenue and usually jumping off around the East 18 Street overpass.

I never forgot this. One day in around 1966 a kid from my catholic grade school was riding on the roof of one of the freight cars. He brushed his head against the 11kv overhead catenary wire which provided power to the massive electric locomotives pulling the train. He was killed instantly, his body laying on the top of the freight car. As the train headed east people in the apartment buildings looking down on the right-of-way called the police. This was in the days before all freight trains were equipped with radios so they weren't able to stop the train until the cops went on the tracks and flagged the train down further up the line.

A school buddy told me that he was playing outside when a cop car with a priest went into this kid's house. The cops came out crying.

If you thought that this tragedy kept kids from 'hitching' you are wrong. But it did keep kids from riding on the roofs of freight cars.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:59 AM

2,625 posts, read 1,223,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Nobody should be promoting viewing these type of videos!
It's happening in real life. We can't pretend that it isn't. If someone doesn't want to watch it, they do not have to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City