Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 10:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times

Advertisements

AliExpress sells "ceiling thumpers". Buy 1. Set it against your ceiling flush right where the neighbors make the most noise. Tape it to the ceiling with heavy electric tape. Set it to a timer when they're sleeping and you're away. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 04:38 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I know someone that jammed their upstairs neighbor doorbell (so it was ringing constantly) when the people wouldn't stop being noisy one night.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:43 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times
The solution is very simple but it's rarely mentioned.

Notify your Landlord of the issue via certified mail (a few times) and provide 60 days notice that you'll start withholding rent and place it into escrow. Start to document evidence (video/audio) of said noise between 1am -7am and send it to the LL. If it's a legitimate issue, it should be fairly simple to document.

This is business 101. If there's indeed a legitimate issue, then document and provide a plan of action to your LL. Just telling your LL "the neighbors upstairs make too much noise" is neither here nor there. What do you expect the LL to do with that? The LL needs evidence as well.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I worry about downstairs neighborsm complqaining about ME...I like music.

But I recently confirmed the apartment below me is VACANT...YAAAY.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:53 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
AliExpress sells "ceiling thumpers". Buy 1. Set it against your ceiling flush right where the neighbors make the most noise. Tape it to the ceiling with heavy electric tape. Set it to a timer when they're sleeping and you're away. Enjoy.
My "ceiling thumber" when apartment living was my broom or mop.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
My "ceiling thumber" when apartment living was my broom or mop.
Problem is you cannot compete with a machine. This baby goes on without fail ( subject to power and mechanical issues) non stop. Perfect solution for inconsiderate neighbors.

Op should also start smoking or burning obnoxious incenses since smoke drifts upwards. Be sure to do it right under their kids' bedrooms so they cough a lot.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:16 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post

Notify your Landlord of the issue via certified mail (a few times) and provide 60 days notice that you'll start withholding rent and place it into escrow. Start to document evidence (video/audio) of said noise between 1am -7am and send it to the LL. If it's a legitimate issue, it should be fairly simple to document.

This is business 101. If there's indeed a legitimate issue, then document and provide a plan of action to your LL. Just telling your LL "the neighbors upstairs make too much noise" is neither here nor there. What do you expect the LL to do with that? The LL needs evidence as well.
Yes, everything has to be documented. I had a problem like this with a new neighbor who was totally dismissive. Started recording everything and sending it to the super. The guy was forced to move out.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:42 PM

204 posts, read 111,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I would call the cops and file a complaint any time your quality of life is disturbed.
Over and over and over again if need be. Document everything....

Give a copy to your landlord informing him you can not sleep and losing days of work.
Failure for providing a comfortable domicile may result in rental compensation.
File a claim that landlord is not living up to his agreement. Giver him at least 3 chances.
Show the judge document after document after document of your complaints.
It tells a story that you have informed your landlord and he did nothing to correct it.
In addition the landlord can use your complaints to kick the unruly tenant out as well
as you being compensated monetarily.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.

First real advice ive had so far, ty

Old 09-21-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post

This also ty!didnt think about doing this

Old 09-21-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, everything has to be documented. I had a problem like this with a new neighbor who was totally dismissive. Started recording everything and sending it to the super. The guy was forced to move out.
ive sent a few emails but will start to record the noise as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City