Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 02:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Actually I agree. I don't think NYC is a good city to move to if you're not making a lot of money. Everything is hard here. It's worth it for some people but you have to really know why you're choosing it over a place where things are cheaper, cleaner, easier etc.
I love New York City, but this x1000. People should never move to NYC without a specific reason, especially if you have a kid and/or don't make a lot of money. You shouldn't be bringing a kid to New York if you aren't financially comfortable. It makes no sense and the kid will suffer because raising them right in the city takes a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 02:03 AM

789 posts, read 487,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyadeclat View Post
My husband and I are contemplating making a move to New York City. I am wondering what would make more sense -- finding a job first or an apartment to rent? We are in the early stages of research and are generally looking for a neighborhood that is well connected transportation wise and has a daycare for our daughter. I looked up some organizations that are hiring but don't know yet if I should aim to find employment or an apartment first. What would make more sense based on your experience?
You've been watching way too many 1980s NYC movies where the midwest transient takes a bus into Port Authority and somehow lands a job and a crummy but spacious NYC apartment in Hells Kitchen for $400 a month! Lol. Good lord, you're in trouble.

As many have posted, keep your kid far, far, far away from any of the 5 boroughs. Go move to Putman county about 1 1/2 upstate somewhere or way, way out East to Suffolk county. Bringing a kid to be raised in 2022's version of NYC is child abuse.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:22 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
JOB first!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2022, 08:40 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,677,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
If you really want to do well for the kid, stay away from city as much as possible.

Raising a family in a nice small home with a yard beats any city living any day. Your quality of life will be better and pace of life will be normal compared to this rat race.
That should be the rule of NYC, do not move to NYC with a family. So many people learned this the hard way because they think it's their right to live where ever they want. Then they question why everything is so expensive.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:20 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
You're going to need a job first because no one will rent even halfway decent housing to you without proof of income.

In the interim, rent an AirBnB--fully legal if you do it for more than 30 days.

And you might not believe that an NYC forum would be full of people who hate NYC, but, well, it is. Your child will be fine.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyadeclat View Post
My husband and I are contemplating making a move to New York City. I am wondering what would make more sense -- finding a job first or an apartment to rent? We are in the early stages of research and are generally looking for a neighborhood that is well connected transportation wise and has a daycare for our daughter. I looked up some organizations that are hiring but don't know yet if I should aim to find employment or an apartment first. What would make more sense based on your experience?
They needn't be mutually exclusive, but the location of your job might influence your choice of neighborhoods for apartment-hunting.

Also, it's important to choose the apartment carefully, so while you're job-hunting, you can use that time to look at neighborhoods and look at apartments, to evolve an idea of what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: