Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 06:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,699,568 times

Advertisements

I've always felt that when you open a machine, you automatically clean out the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 08:22 PM

65 posts, read 56,520 times
I always check washer and drying before putting clothes in. Can't trust the person before you.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:33 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times
I always clean out the machine I'm going to use and THEN run a cycle with it with just hot water and soap. THEN I use that machine for all of my washes, this way I know I won't have a problem.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:53 AM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've always felt that when you open a machine, you automatically clean out the filter.
I always check the dryer filter and clean out if necessary. As for washer I do check the rubber rim and see if there is anything accumulated under it or on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIDP View Post
I always check washer and drying before putting clothes in. Can't trust the person before you.
I didn't see anything inside the drum of the washer before I used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I always clean out the machine I'm going to use and THEN run a cycle with it with just hot water and soap. THEN I use that machine for all of my washes, this way I know I won't have a problem.
Are you saying that you do a complete paid laundry cycle with an empty machine when there are limited machines available? I don't think that would be acceptable for practical in a large apt bldg. where the laundry only has 3 washers available for so many tenants.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:20 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
It is NICE to expect others to clean machines after they are finished, BUT it is EFFECTIVE if you do it yourself before using a machine.

Good analogy is mask wearing: Nice if others protect me from catching their viruses but wiser to protect YOURSELF.

Comes under the dictum of "If you want something done RIGHT, do it YOURSELF."

Old 10-24-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Are you saying that you do a complete paid laundry cycle with an empty machine when there are limited machines available? I don't think that would be acceptable for practical in a large apt bldg. where the laundry only has 3 washers available for so many tenants.
That's exactly what I do and I just use that machine for my laundry. I've done that way in all of the buildings I've lived in. It's really the only way. You wash at a time when you know it won't be busy, otherwise you'll have "clean laundry" with all sorts of disgusting things in it.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:13 PM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's exactly what I do and I just use that machine for my laundry. I've done that way in all of the buildings I've lived in. It's really the only way. You wash at a time when you know it won't be busy, otherwise you'll have "clean laundry" with all sorts of disgusting things in it.
Well it's a bit expensive to do that when one has a low budget and one never knows exactly when it isn't a busy time (as people sometimes surprise you in that regard). Is there anyone else that you know who does that (as it seems to me a bit over the top)?

Old 10-24-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well it's a bit expensive to do that when one has a low budget and one never knows exactly when it isn't a busy time (as people sometimes surprise you in that regard). Is there anyone else that you know who does that (as it seems to me a bit over the top)?
It's not over the top. It ensures that I don't have dog hair or something else in my clean clothes. If you can't afford a few extra bucks then yeah you shouldn't do it, but you are the one complaining about pet hair and whatever else you find in your clean clothes, so you were given some options.

The point is the machine should be cleaned out beforehand, and if you clean it and run a cycle with nothing in it, this is pretty effective in addressing the problem you described. This is also great if someone used bleach in the machine beforehand to ensure nothing is damaged.

Years ago I had some Italian expensive dress shirts damaged that way. Spending a few bucks is worth it when replacing shirts that cost a few hundred dollars each.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:53 PM

1,062 posts, read 550,847 times
I've had a few things pick up bleach spots in the laundromat when i didn't put bleach in. How come the machines don't have a quick rinse function to use before loading the machine?

Old 10-24-2022, 05:34 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
I've had a few things pick up bleach spots in the laundromat when i didn't put bleach in. How come the machines don't have a quick rinse function to use before loading the machine?

I am very conscious of this even though I have my own washer and dryer.

After I run a regular wash cycle with chlorine bleach, I run a short cycle with just one or two white towels to ensure that my next load doesn't get any residual bleach.

Not easy to do with shared machines, especially if you don't know who used the machine before you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City