Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 AM

30 posts, read 75,455 times

Advertisements

OK, I know that scaffolding is used for a reason, but it seems like much of it stays up longer than necessary. There's some up at the end of my block that has been there for well over a year, and there is no construction going on either on or around the building. They had a license on the side of it that expired months ago, and the license was recently removed. I've considered calling 311 but not sure if it would make a difference. It's such an eyesore.

Can anyone offer any insight into the process? Again, I know it's used for a reason, to protect property and people, but are there laws as to how long after completion of work that it can stay up? Are buildings renting the materials and paying a fee for every month it stays up, or are there more costs involved in having it removed that might deter cheap landlords from taking it down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
It might be that the bridge (they're called 'sidewalk bridges') is still in place because there's something dangerous to the public below that hasn't been fixed on the building.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
The work is probably completed on the building. However, an inspector from the Department of Buildings must come out and say its ok to remove the shed. So they probably didnt renew the shed permit because the work is done, and they're waiting on their inspection, thats all.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-02-2008, 01:38 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
I say let's get it over with and just permanently scaffold all of Manhattan. It does help when it's raining.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 AM

30 posts, read 75,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The work is probably completed on the building. However, an inspector from the Department of Buildings must come out and say its ok to remove the shed. So they probably didnt renew the shed permit because the work is done, and they're waiting on their inspection, thats all.
Thank you - that makes sense. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to come down someday!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to come down someday!
Calling 311 may not be a bad thing, they will forward your complaint to the buildings department who may react faster than if no one complained. Remember the squeeky wheel.....

Old 05-23-2017, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Default Scaffolding

Contact Department of Buildings for info on permit and reason for scaffolding, here in NYC so far 311 is the only place I can find to complain its unwanted by residents of our building.
Rover411

Old 02-25-2022, 05:38 PM

21 posts, read 17,425 times
I have a question on the bonding of sidewalk sheds the local authority is asking us (the electrical contractor) to drive ground rods for every section of the sidewalk shed. I believe if we drive ground rods for every section this would be a secondary grounding system for an existing electrical system where the power is coming from for the lighting of these sidewalk sheds.

any comments please feel free

Old 02-25-2022, 05:58 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,610,110 times
I had one down the block from me up 2 years after they finished the work.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:44 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Do you have scaffolding up the side of the building or a sidewalk shed? Either way call 311.
My daughter's building had pipe scaffolding up to repair the brickwork. It was left up after the work was done. One morning she heard a noise from the kitchen. Thought it was the cat knocking something over. She went to look and found a man halfway through the kitchen window. He ran away. Mgmt had the scaffolding removed later that day and added security to the windows. Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City