Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 05:57 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It might be that the bridge (they're called 'sidewalk bridges') is still in place because there's something dangerous to the public below that hasn't been fixed on the building.

Scaffold complaints - https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02291
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 08:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
It is expensive to put up, so often the building judges it cheaper to pay continuing rent for the "bridge" to be ready for the next needed repair, rather than pay to remove it and reconstruct it.

A building at 93rd and Second has had such a block long scaffolding up for more than 5 years. It comes in handy in bad weather for my picking up a Chinese takeaway from A-Jiao Szechuan on 94th and Second which I do fairly often. Several homeless people have set up semi-permanent housing behind grocery carts and under layers of blankets, comforters, and parkas, forming lean-to's against the building (formerly Chase bank.)

Old 02-28-2022, 06:32 PM

21 posts, read 17,425 times
I have a question on the bonding of sidewalk sheds the local authority is asking us (the electrical contractor) to drive ground rods for every section of the sidewalk shed. I believe if we drive ground rods for every section this would be a secondary grounding system for an existing electrical system where the power is coming from for the lighting of these sidewalk sheds.

any comments please feel free
didn't get any response to this.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Or additional lightning protection?

Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Local lawmakers look to reduce scaffolding across the city.

Good. I see some of them up for years with no construction being done. But they do come in handy when it rains.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:55 AM

117 posts, read 47,760 times
this short video explains why they are constant :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphK...fasInteresting

Old 03-22-2023, 10:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It is expensive to put up, so often the building judges it cheaper to pay continuing rent for the "bridge" to be ready for the next needed repair, rather than pay to remove it and reconstruct it.

A building at 93rd and Second has had such a block long scaffolding up for more than 5 years. It comes in handy in bad weather for my picking up a Chinese takeaway from A-Jiao Szechuan on 94th and Second which I do fairly often. Several homeless people have set up semi-permanent housing behind grocery carts and under layers of blankets, comforters, and parkas, forming lean-to's against the building (formerly Chase bank.)
Even if there are no repairs, NYC requires them for mandatory facade inspections. That is why NYC is the only city in the world perpetually covered in these sheds. While people complain about tall buildings blocking the sunlight, they do not seem to complain about these sheds making Manhattan sidewalks just a giant rat tunnel.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:44 PM

117 posts, read 47,760 times
yup, in short its cheaper to pay the fines of having the scaffolds than the repairs themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City