Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 04:01 PM

16 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

5% of its legitimate citizens, and a lot of that 5% are probably in high millionaire category. (The real taxpayers jumped ship)

Today by my estimation, about 21% of NYC are illegal aliens or of other unlawful status. (By my own guesswork)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 04:36 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,677,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The welfare class is never going to leave. They can’t get all of the types of free stuff they can get here anywhere else. As miserable it can get here (depressing weather half the year, dilapidated housing, third world infrastructure, so many unhappy looking people, crime, everything expensive yet the service/quality you get is poor, traffic, dirty, noise, etc.) some people have told me they just won’t leave because they won’t be able to get the same level of government benefits elsewhere.
I don't know if the Mayor and the governor can keep finding ways to tax the people with income mobility, I can estimate more than 5% left NYC while still working in NYC simply by relocating their domicile to do avoid taxes. Then NY has no choice but to implement more use and commuter taxes like congestion tax in order to hit those people who don't live here but still come into to do business.

If they don't cut cost and wall street takes a huge dive then they will be in big trouble. Like when Bloomberg showed up he had to force government to be more efficient.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 673,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowersinbath View Post
5% of its legitimate citizens, and a lot of that 5% are probably in high millionaire category. (The real taxpayers jumped ship)

Today by my estimation, about 21% of NYC are illegal aliens or of other unlawful status. (By my own guesswork)
Thanks for admitting that it’s just your guesswork. I thought you may be interested to learn the truth: nyc has more millionaires than any city in the world and that number increased over decade. There are 340k of them. Many news sources ran this story, including New York post
https://nypost.com/2023/04/20/nyc-is...ty-report/amp/

Old 05-21-2023, 03:42 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:

stop trying so hard to make an agenda.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I don't know if the Mayor and the governor can keep finding ways to tax the people with income mobility, I can estimate more than 5% left NYC while still working in NYC simply by relocating their domicile to do avoid taxes. Then NY has no choice but to implement more use and commuter taxes like congestion tax in order to hit those people who don't live here but still come into to do business.

If they don't cut cost and wall street takes a huge dive then they will be in big trouble. Like when Bloomberg showed up he had to force government to be more efficient.
There's no need to guess.

Quote:
New data from the Internal Revenue Service shows that New York state lost $25 billion in adjusted gross income due to outmigration in 2021, on top of $20 billion lost in 2020.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/02/new-...x-states.html#

It's not a coincidence that the city council is scrambling to find new tax revenue streams. Most of which center around fees/fines that focus on the middle class.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:00 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
What kind of papers had German and Italian immigrants, for instance, signed before their arrivals at Ellis Island? I often hope my English immigrant ancestors in South Carolina and Virginia had kinder things to say about my German ancestors who later joined them than the comments I see about immigrants from south of the border. If NYC, with those words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, isn’t welcoming to immigrants who got there any way they could to escape famine and abuse as immigrants from across the pond did back in the day, where is?

Old 05-21-2023, 09:42 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
What kind of papers had German and Italian immigrants, for instance, signed before their arrivals at Ellis Island? I often hope my English immigrant ancestors in South Carolina and Virginia had kinder things to say about my German ancestors who later joined them than the comments I see about immigrants from south of the border. If NYC, with those words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, isn’t welcoming to immigrants who got there any way they could to escape famine and abuse as immigrants from across the pond did back in the day, where is?
That’s the thing. We are no longer back in the day.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Today's welcoming Statue of Liberty quote would read:

"I got mine, go F*** yourself."

Old 05-21-2023, 11:04 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Today's welcoming Statue of Liberty quote would read:

"I got mine, go F*** yourself."
Exactly. Sad. So no longer the “greatest city in the world,” I guess.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:23 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
But yet, they keep voting the same party/policies in! Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City