Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 08:32 PM

652 posts, read 522,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While it's distressing that things apparently haven't changed for the better over the years, the number of fights between high schoolers (and forget about the theft that you know is happening) I've seen at and around that mall makes me appreciate this move even more. It's sad that things had to go this far, but I do recall things being very bad there during certain hours. The kids from Brooklyn Tech weren't the troublemakers, but rather kids from the Science Skills Center, Westinghouse, Acorn, and this other area school that was an "alternative" school for students who got expelled from their old schools (it used to be located a few blocks away) were the problem.

I remember Kings Plaza Mall enacting such a policy numerous times over the years. Note, in Kings Plaza's case, the policy was never permanent and conditions on the ground led the policy to be lifted (or reenacted) at different times. Hopefully something similar can take place here.

Teenagers can be such trouble sometimes that my mother would make sure that we'd be done at the beach, etc., before high schools let out for the day.

Thank you for this thoughtful, insightful, and considerate post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 09:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why did you go there so much if you did not like the shopping experience? I personally don't like it myself but I've only been in the actual mall like twice.
For a 2-3 year stretch, I was in the area quite often. I used to attend a small MMA gym in the area that didn’t have adequate restroom facilities. Mainly used it for the bathrooms. Took many a dookie there. That’s all it was really good for anyway.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:06 AM

11,836 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Good luck on that - our "premiere" mall in WNY did the dame thing back in 2014 and yet the fights still occur today. I stopped going there years before we moved because of the fights and assaults in the parking lots.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:43 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
What did the tenants of the Atlantic Terminal Mall expect from a mall at Atlantic & Flatbush, served by numerous subway and buses? Were they that stupid or uninformed?
They did not know that New York and New York City would make a political decision not to enforce the law at all, and to raise the age for criminal responsibility, such as there is any responsibility.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:03 PM

2,635 posts, read 1,231,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to this mall? If yes, what did you think of it?
I thought it was not remarkable in any way.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:20 AM

420 posts, read 232,422 times
I live in the neighborhood and the space if not the current mix of tenants has the potential to be much better. I hate making comparisons to many years ago but my mother wouldn't let me go to Brooklyn Tech because of the neighborhood. I now live a few blocks away. It's the kids acting like animals that are ruining the shopping for the rest of us.
There is the distinct possiblity that in 18 months or so when all the new housing starts filling up and rents go up yadda yadda the game will change.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:31 PM

30,657 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
I live in the neighborhood and the space if not the current mix of tenants has the potential to be much better. I hate making comparisons to many years ago but my mother wouldn't let me go to Brooklyn Tech because of the neighborhood. I now live a few blocks away. It's the kids acting like animals that are ruining the shopping for the rest of us.
There is the distinct possiblity that in 18 months or so when all the new housing starts filling up and rents go up yadda yadda the game will change.
I'm curious where you lived when you were deciding whether to attend Tech? Were you living in the neighborhood or outside the neighborhood?

Old 02-22-2024, 09:41 AM

420 posts, read 232,422 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm curious where you lived when you were deciding whether to attend Tech? Were you living in the neighborhood or outside the neighborhood?
Not to sound facetious but if I was living in the neighborhood, why would I not go to the school? I was in manhattan as a teenager at the time and didn't get into Stuyvesant.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:44 PM

30,657 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Not to sound facetious but if I was living in the neighborhood, why would I not go to the school? I was in manhattan as a teenager at the time and didn't get into Stuyvesant.
I don't think you sound facetious. I asked because plenty of people opt to send their kids to schools outside of their neighborhood for various reasons. Often it comes down to the school not being good enough from an academic standpoint (not the case with Brooklyn Tech, for sure), but I've seen people do so due to crime in an area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: