Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 11:40 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,222,694 times

Advertisements

My finances are such that barring runaway inflation I think I can afford to live past 200. without asking anyone for a handout.

Fear of having to go back to work was a past irrational fear of mine.

I hated every minute of every job I ever had. (Middle management corporate drone working under incompetents all of whom embodied the Peter Principle to a T.)

Quote:
Worry is a wasted endeavor.
That is certainly true, Aeran. but not everyone can brush it away. Worry is hard wired into us by evolution, obviously as a protective, albeit uncomfortable, way of getting through unpleasantness.
Perhaps it helps us see things to avoid in time to avoid them?

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-09-2024 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 05:04 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My finances are such that barring runaway inflation I think I can afford to live past 200. without asking anyone for a handout.

I hated every minute of every job I ever had. (Middle management corporate drone working under incompetents all of whom embodied the Peter Principle to a T.)

That is certainly true, Aeran. but not everyone can brush it away. Worry is hard wired into us by evolution, obviously as a protective, albeit uncomfortable, way of getting through unpleasantness.
I agree to a certain point. Work is a waste of life I think. Working to pay for food and housing is basically a prison term.
Those few who are lucky to make good money doing what they love are fortunate.
But since we have to work to survive and love well, I found out doing what you do very well and learning new things in your trade while providing for you family is a great way to feel about yourself as a man. satisfaction comes from investing in yourself and making it work out financially for you. Never stop investing in yourself. Working out, reading, traveling, learning. Failure to do that will land you on welfare living a ghetto nightmare.

When I was much younger, I was terrified of being poor and lonely. I think I’ll never be poor and always have a roof over my head. As for lonely, I have a small family that dear to me and the rest of humanity I couldn’t not care less about.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:08 PM

19,103 posts, read 14,085,222 times
I’ve loved all of my real jobs. Had a few in between jobs that were just so so, but Army, police, and my current two jobs were all awesome.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-10-2024, 07:11 PM

91 posts, read 19,135 times
Quote:

Which industry did you work in?

Old 05-10-2024, 07:14 PM

91 posts, read 19,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I agree to a certain point. Work is a waste of life I think. Working to pay for food and housing is basically a prison term.
Those few who are lucky to make good money doing what they love are fortunate.
But since we have to work to survive and love well, I found out doing what you do very well and learning new things in your trade while providing for you family is a great way to feel about yourself as a man. satisfaction comes from investing in yourself and making it work out financially for you. Never stop investing in yourself. Working out, reading, traveling, learning. Failure to do that will land you on welfare living a ghetto nightmare.

When I was much younger, I was terrified of being poor and lonely. I think I’ll never be poor and always have a roof over my head. As for lonely, I have a small family that dear to me and the rest of humanity I couldn’t not care less about.
We have be luxury of choosing our profession/jobs. For the vast majority of human history, 99.9% of humans never had this luxury.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:50 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
85% of what people worry about never happens. That's a lot of wasted time and energy. Don't waste your life on what you can't control and spend it on what you can.

i spent a lifetime not complaining, but learning to play the cards i am dealt as best as i can .devoting time to complaining about what you can’t control is generally a waste of time and energy .

we have had so many in this forum who did nothing but complain about something yet never acted to make things better for themselves .

usually those ones who complain the most do the least

it’s always easier to do nothing then something about a situation

Old 05-11-2024, 07:39 AM

88,862 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Most of the things I worried over never came to be and the bad things that did happen were things I never worried about! Worry is a wasted endeavor. You worry about all the wrong things.

I think we see worry as a preventative measure but that's just not true. Doesn't stop me from worrying though.
I once read this book and took the self-evaluation test inside of it. My results were "Seek professional help", lol. It wasn't wrong--I have OCD, which is an anxiety disorder.

But I have worried about everything since childhood, and yes, thinking that worrying can prevent something (along with counting to certain numbers and repeating prayers and phrases inside my head...) can grow into a big problem.

This book had a lot of good info in it about managing worry.

https://www.amazon.com/Worry-Control.../dp/0679442375

Old 05-11-2024, 08:08 AM

What Industry, superJew?

Chemicals, Steel...and in high school, grocery store nights and weekends to save money for college.
Degrees? BS Chem Engr. MBA Finance and Economics.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So if the ground is icy, you still walk over the icy ground normally? You're not afraid of falling?

Ice in NYC is a thing of the past, our weather is turning tropical.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:35 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,271,358 times
Quote:
Ice in NYC is a thing of the past, our weather is turning tropical.
It has some ways to go before going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City