Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 04:56 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times

Advertisements

I worked for Paul, Jerry, and Bernice in their warehouse for about a year. Previously, I bought my first professional instrument at their Kings Highway store after my teacher made arrangements for me to go there and try a few out.

They were an interesting and talented family. Paul loved his jazz. I did get a headache from listening to the jazz radio station for 8 hours everyday, but they were decent employers, at least to office workers.

Manny's, Silver and Horland, The Colony, Carl Fischer retail, Schirmer's, Waxman Music, Patelsons and Sons all gone. At least the Weiss Music Group or whatever they call themselves these days, are still around and publish new music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 05:19 PM

106,883 posts, read 109,133,761 times
i had a band with richard ash way back in the very early 1970’s .. if i remember it was called EARTHQUAKE 10.

we had two drummers … it was a powerful sounding group ..richard had amazing equipment. a stacked marshall if i remember..

Old 05-05-2024, 06:36 PM

20,144 posts, read 20,929,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamy View Post
I got my first guitar at the Sam Ash on Queens Blvd. tons of sheet music, my 12 string acoustic and a violin. I found some of the male salespeople to be pretty sexist (the guy who told me I wouldn't want a black guitar because it would show fingerprints on it???) but others were fine.
Uh, how is that sexist?

Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM

the biggest blow to the music stores a side from lack of interest by the kids is most instruments tend to have better sounding old gear then new .

i could have easily bought a brand new set but chose a set about 7-8 years old at the time .

it sounded better and had far better construction. when it comes to cymbals i am starting to get rid of my new stuff and replace them with much more mellow sounding aged vintage stuff .

so the specialty stores like the long island drum center where i go have big collections of used stuff and do very little in new so that had to hurt retailers like sam ash or guitar center.

just learned royal music in canarsie is gone too . as a kid and young drummer growing up in canarsie i loved that store.

kids today have no real interest in learning . the ones who do don’t want to commit the time and effort needed to it .

if anything kids like places like school of rock where you just learn to follow a song rather then learn to build your chops …

when i got back in to drumming after i retired i had a former drummer from the allman brothers coaching me for two years .eddie dicapua

https://vicfirth.com/blogs/artist/edmund-dicapua-vf

it took 2 hours a day to work on what he taught me or he would drop me in a heartbeat. few are going to commit to that routine .

so it’s a dying business

here is a typical instruction session with eddie .

eddie not only played with the allman brothers from time to time but up until butch trucks died , he had a band with two drummers like the allman brothers with butch trucks .. butch was the founding member and drummer of the allman brothers until he took his own life .

he was very depressed over the direction the allman brothers were going in so he formed a side group with eddie dicapua..eddies grandfather wrote one of the most famous songs in the world OLE SOLE MIO

butch and eddie were great together and had a group called GREAT CAESARS GHOST .

here is me and eddie .. i used to record all my sessions . notice how at fast speeds he shifts to almost all finger control

https://mm-photography.smugmug.com/F...mB/i-n2hdCXk/A

https://mm-photography.smugmug.com/F...mB/i-V6mfXw3/A

Last edited by mathjak107; Yesterday at 03:10 AM..

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Uh, how is that sexist?
It's very sexist and implies that as a "girl" the looks of the instrument were more important than the sound; fingerprints are icky. They started hiring more women in the late 80s, but yeah, I'll agree, the sales people, who were mostly male, were very sexist. Either they didn't take you seriously, were invisible, or treated you like a piece of meat. I hated asking them for help. However, that was everywhere, not just at Sam Ash. The manager at the Kings Highway store, who had worked there a long time, wasn't too bad, but maybe because my teacher spoke to him first. I just interviewed some engineers for an article and they are responsible for setting up and maintaining all of the lighting and sound equipment during concerts. They were all women. Times have changed.

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

i feel the same way about my black shiny lacquered drums , and no one can touch my cymbals without gloves as the oil changes the sound .

hmmmmm , i think i am feeling a little pretty

Old Today, 06:39 AM

Car salesman suggested I think twice before buying the black car because it would be hard to keep clean and would show dirt and scratches, dents, much more than a lighter colored car. I have filed charges against her.

Old Today, 01:24 PM

5,859 posts, read 2,977,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Car salesman suggested I think twice before buying the black car because it would be hard to keep clean and would show dirt and scratches, dents, much more than a lighter colored car. I have filed charges against her.
Why? He is correct. Anyone who knows cars knows that black cars need constant cleaning, scratches are visible. They age faster due to scratches.
A silver car for example looks new forever. I got 2 in silver now. Least amount of car washes needed.

Also unless you want to look like a gangster and can afford a Mercedes S class or BMW 750, black color is so depressing.

Old Today, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Why? He is correct. Anyone who knows cars knows that black cars need constant cleaning, scratches are visible. They age faster due to scratches.
A silver car for example looks new forever. I got 2 in silver now. Least amount of car washes needed.

Also unless you want to look like a gangster and can afford a Mercedes S class or BMW 750, black color is so depressing.
Exactly!!! I was being sarcastic regarding an earlier post.
Poor sales guy was probably innocently trying to be helpful and informative and the poster said he was sexist because she was a girl buying a guitar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City